Future of South African military

Joebob748

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
This thread is to discuss the future of the south african military. In particular, what new equipment is needed. Are there any new tank procurement programs?

Excuse my ignorance, but what tasks, enemies, threats current and potential, do South Africa face?

The global tendency is for militaries to be underfunded as long as there is no clear and present threat to be countered. As long as this is an accurate assessment, no problem, but losing skillsets and capabilities becomes a real problem should an unanticipated threat arise.

Excuse my ignorance, but what tasks, enemies, threats current and potential, do South Africa face?
ANC ?

ANC is the government right now. Has been since 1994.

In terms of external threat, there seems to be very little to no conventional military threat. There is some level of terrorism threat (both internal and external) and probably some desire to participate more actively in regional policing and stability (peacekeeping). But frankly, SA has so many internal problems from crime, corruption, and poverty, that external military operations and capabilities have to fall pretty far down the priority list.

ANC is the government right now. Has been since 1994.
And maybe this precisely why it is the main "threat current and potential, and enemy" to the country?
Does Zuma ring a bell ?

Not a military threat?
Given the past of ANC ? I'd love to be able to take your word for it. IMO time will tell.

I reckon the threat will come from African nations heavily influenced by the PRC. Even now this situation is volatile abd it can only get worse.

I reckon the threat will come from African nations heavily influenced by the PRC. Even now this situation is volatile abd it can only get worse.
PRC have been meddling in African affairs since the 1970s. Notice all the ChiCom weapons supplied to the guerillas who eventually forced regieme change in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe.

Ummm, that would include South Africa. The PRC provided direct financial assistance to the Zuma-era ANC (in exchange for no RSA criticisms of China's human rights abuses).

The RSA's hopes were on mineral exports to the PRC to help balance imports of cheap Chinese goods. Since then the debt-trap has been sprung. PRC/RSA relations may be cooling slightly ... but approval of the Sinopharm COVID vaccine was pretty quick ;)

Thanks and yes, I know they have been active in Africa for decades, they are turning up the wick globally and this can only end badly.