french schneider cup racers ?

fishjay

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I-net searches for French Schneider Cup racers turned up pictures of the Nieuport Delage 450 and Dewoitine HD.412. Again only photos with no drawings (not even small ones). I am trying to fill in the gaps (drawings) in Charles Mendenhall's book THE AIR RACER (a wealth of drawings and info but with obvious holes). Any help with drawings of these French racers is greatly appreciated.

While on the subject of French racers for the Schneider cup, can someone tell me why the French were so active early on in the contests and then suddenly disappeared from the competition. It seems they were about to return in a big way with the Bernard, Nieuport and Dewoitine racers. If the competitions had continued which one of the three above mentioned planes would have had the best chance of success? With all of the Bernard designs, were the Nieuport and Dewoitine just backup?

Lester (fishjay)

Hi Fishjay
Nieuport..but model !

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 192
And now D 412
Bye

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 184
Thanks for the info. This closes another gap in Mendenhall's book.

Fishjay

toura said:
And now D 412
The pictured aircraft is the HD.410, not the HD.412. The 410 has a Lorraine 12Rcr Radium, 12-cylinder inverted-V, whereas the 412 had a Hispano 18-cylinder in W, so the cowlings should be unmistakably different. (According to Cuny, it was planned with the 18R, and finally built with the 18S.)
Various internet pictures purport to show the HD.412 but make the same confusion. I have never seen a genuine picture of the 412, only a side drawing in Cuny's Les avions Dewoitine.