Frankenweapons

Quingle

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
I'm writing an article on "Frankenweapons," such as the "FrankenSAM" being developed for Ukraine. The definition of a Frankenweapon is blurry, but a reasonable definition would be a weapons system made up of components from multiple nations, or components from weapons that normally wouldn’t be combined.

Can anyone think of some good examples?

Cropdusters and CRISPR CAS-9 follow-ons....genetic engineering scares me more than the splitting of the atom ever did

I'm writing an article on "Frankenweapons," such as the "FrankenSAM" being developed for Ukraine. The definition of a Frankenweapon is blurry, but a reasonable definition would be a weapons system made up of components from multiple nations, or components from weapons that normally wouldn’t be combined.

Can anyone think of some good examples?
The iraqi SA-6 fitted with an R-60/SS-8 IR Seeker
3M9-with-Aphid-Seeker-1S.jpg

Another one that comes to mind would be the iranian Rim66 mounted on the Hawk sam launcher back during the iran-iraq war era
5877610.jpg

Last edited:
during 2011 "Arabic Spring" there were allot "Frankenweapons" in Libya and Syria

like this rocket launcher from Libya
libya16.jpg

British 3 inch aerial rocket launchers fitted to tanks for ground-to-ground use (from Wiki):

In 1945, some British M4 Sherman tanks were fitted with two or four rails – one or two either side of the turret – to carry 60-pound headed rockets. These were used at the Rhine Crossing by tanks of the 1st Coldstream Guards. The tanks were called "Sherman Tulips".