Flashback to the 70s: Seastrike or Vosper frigates at war

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
There is an excellent site for Wargamers who want to revisit their misspent youth

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7590/seastrike

On it I found a game which I had hours of harmless fun with at school in the early 70s. I post it here however because of the fun artwork. It turns out that the game was designed by someone who worked at Vosper Thorneycroft. It involves frigates and missile boats at war and draws heavily on Vosper's contemporary range. The reissue box lid even features their enhanced Type 21 fighting off missiles from a Vosper ad.

I attach two of the card images as they show typical 70s ships with their Lynxish helicopters. One design shows a Type 42 style ship with Seadart aft and Exocet and a gun forward.

Shortly after Seastrike appeared I bought a 1971 copy of Weyers Flottentaschenbuch in a Hamburg bookshop (the joys of Interail!) and then designed my own counters for most of the NATO and Warpac main ships. The Geography rooms had large blue formica topped tables and the rest was alternative history. Accuracy was abandoned in favour of fun. So HMS Bulwark used its SS11 equipped Wessexes to ward off a Soviet cruiser while HMS Leander (armed only with Ikara) was pursued by a Krivak (whose rear facing guns could not lock on). Leander's Wasp finally crippled the Krivak with SS12 hits on its fire control systems before it crashed due to a systems failure. Seastrike's simple card resolution system was inspired!

Apologies to the Board if I have posted this in the wrong place. My medication is starting to wear off!

Attachments

• box art.jpg
    box art.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Seastrike game 1.jpg
    Seastrike game 1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Seastrike game 2.jpg
    Seastrike game 2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 101