FIFI flies again

Steve Pace

Aviation History Writer
Reaction score
FIFI, the world's only flyable B-29, flew yesterday; first flight since 2006.

SP

FIFI or serial number No. 44-62070. has a intrigue History
More here
http://www.cafb29b24.org/a/B-29.htm

[flash=200,200]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCF3BOR4LUg[/flash]
FIFI engine start up during memorial day 2010

[flash=200,200]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLFKAWGSPCs[/flash]
FIFI flight in 1993

What is planned for her? Will she be flown at different airshows or anything like that?

Here's what I know re FIFI. Steve Pace

Attachments

• 12-10-1.jpg
    12-10-1.jpg
    647.9 KB · Views: 23
Orionblamblam said:
I wonder if there are any Tu-4's that could be scrounged up and restored, and converted into "B-29's."
There's a Tu-4 Bull on display somewhere in Russia... SP

Orionblamblam said:
I wonder if there are any Tu-4's that could be scrounged up and restored, and converted into "B-29's."

But then what would be the point? A Tu-4 is much more valuable in a museum as an example of early successful reverse engineering rather than turn it into a B-29, which it never was. None of the bolts and gauges would be the same, the engines would be different too... It would just LOOK like a B-29 without being one.

Stargazer2006 said:
It would just LOOK like a B-29 without being one.

Which would make it worthwhile. A whole lot of Tu-4's got built; and while I suspect most, like the B-29, got shredded, if there's one out there somewhere abandoned but restorable, it'd be better off restored with USAAF markings and doing the circuit as a B-29 than mouldering on the tundra.

We are entering the discussion "Is a modified Buchon 1112 a real Bf 109 ?" .
Of course it is not, but it can bring back the feeling of a "real" Bf 109 flying overhead.
And everyone knows "109" (B 29), but nobody a HA 1112 (Tu 4). Would be a modification
for the families days at an airshow, not really for aviation nut.
And to me it's quite ok, as long as there are still scrapyards full of Buchons (Tu 4s), but no
Bf 109 (B 29), not even in the russian tundra. But to sacrifice a rare example to mimic another
one seems not to be useful to me. But I don't know how many Tu 4 are still available,
maybe in China, or how many B 29. Would be a matter of numbers. Perhaps some C-97/
KC-97 could be used as basis for a B 29 ? At least wings and engines ?

toura said:
hi
yes you have one at monino museum
Bye

Just for the pleasure: Monino's Tu-4 "Bull"

Attachments

• Tupolev Tu4 Bull 2.JPG
    Tupolev Tu4 Bull 2.JPG
    776.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Tupolev Tu4 Bull 3.JPG
    Tupolev Tu4 Bull 3.JPG
    973.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Tupolev Tu4 Bull 4.JPG
    Tupolev Tu4 Bull 4.JPG
    395.9 KB · Views: 17
Retrofit said:
I visited Monino Museum 2 years ago.
Could I possibly use them in my upcoming B-29 Combat Missions book? If so, please send me as high of resoloution as you can to my email address.