Favourite Movie and TV show

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
A little bit of fun for these Winter nights, and I dont think we have done it in this form.
My favourite film is The Italian Job original version from the 60s
My favourite TV show is Top Cat (US original cartoon series from the 60s)
Both always cheer me up and I have seen them many times.
Strange to say I couldn't think of a film relevant to Unbuilt Secret Projects that I had enjoyed. The closest I can think of is Dr Strangelove. I have only to hear the theme music for the B52 strike and my hand does a bad imitation of an Aurora/Revell kit tracking across a black and white landscape.

difficult to choose a favorite... So many good ones.
Would say two films that marked me for sure like some books do , are
The Deer Hunter, Michael Cimino and
Le Coup de Torchon, Bertrand Tavernier.

Now about aviation only, in movies, nothing beats the low Pony pass in
Empire of the Sun, S.Spielberg.

Another very good one related to aviation is
Little Dieter Needs to Fly, W.Herzog.
Note in this one how Dengler's recollection of the event that made him want to be a pilot is very similar to the kid in Empire of the Sun.

Last edited:
In terms of modern films too many choices. I do like the old classis WWII films like Cruel Sea, Dunkirk and Battle of the River Plate. Modern films tend to try to be all things to all people such as the romance in Pearl Harbour and massively prefer Tora Tora Tora.

The same applies to modern TV series, I was obviously over thirty years younger when V was first shown and I enjoy the initial mini series, I did lose interest when it switched to a hourly format, The new version of V took too long to get to the point and was vert contorted. Same applies to series like Lost were it took to long to get to the point, I lost interest and the will to live.

Last edited:
Film: The Ipcress file. It sticks to the spirit of the book and there's the cimbalom. It's a shame no-one tried to film Horse Under Water as it's a better story.
TV: The original series 'The Bridge'.
Radio: I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue. Probably says it all about me....

SRJ.

Anything produced by the Anderson's or George Pal. (I'm a hardware-vehicle sort of guy)

Guilty pleasure: Robinson Crusoe On Mars -- very well acted, good effects, and fast paced. Even the monkey worked for me.

Radio? The Mercury Theatre production of, War Of The Worlds. Orson Well's was a genius!

2001 - Contact - Interstellar "trilogy". The three movies are (very loosely) related.

Guilty pleasure ?

Movies - US comedies from the 90's (and before) with rock-solid-pitch
- Bruce Almighty. The first half, at least. For personal matters: I have, too, some
kind of deep grudge against God. It has become a running joke between me and my wife (foudroie moi, oh, foudroyeur foudroyant !)
- Death become her (Ernest... my arse... I can see my ASS !!)
- Groundhog day, obviously
- Zucker - Abraham - Zucker silinesses, Nielsen included. Airplane & The naked gun series, the first two at least.

(the scene where Drebbin chokes Gorbachev with his head under his arm, wipes out the red dot and then watch the camera saying I KNEW IT ROTFLMAO)

French comedies, too - every single cult one, except the recent ones from the late 2000's (they didn't aged too well, the Ch'tis and Intouchables...)

Bar classic Audiard / De Funes / Splendid "crown jewels"... for me the golden era starts in 1988 (La vie est un long fleuve tranquille) and stops circa 2003 (Mission Cleopatre, Tanguy)

That period was packed full with golden comedies by varied groups. It was like fireworks.
- Tanguy, Les visiteurs, le diner de cons, la vérité si je mens, les trois frères, la cité de la peur, Taxi... cult movies.

TV series - stopped by 2005, after 24 season 5 (Watergate ? did you said Watergate ?)
- Alias & Dark Angel (because Jessica Alba, and because Jenifer Garner)
- Smallville (because of the Superman mythology, and also Kristin Kreuk )

Anime / Manga ? "Dragon Ball Z" (repeat: DBZ, not DBGT nor DBS - the horror, the horror) and "City Hunter" because I grew up with both.

DBZ, don't ask me why - it's irrational. It's dumb most of the time, and also brutal and barbaric.

City Hunter - because it makes me laugh like an idiot, even after 25 years.

Last edited:
Et "Le père Noël et une Ordure"...

Also very good ones in the hilarious dark humour kind are "Bernie" (no, not Sanders) from Dupontel,
and "C'est arrivé près de chez vous".

Albert Dupontel and Benoit Poelvoorde... two tortured comedy geniuses ! Did they ever made a movie together ? Boy, how crazy would that be. Team them with Delepine and Kervern... :eek::eek::eek:

The density of cult comedies was extremely strong in the 90's, with a peak circa 1998. With hindsight, it looks like some kind of Golden age. even more if Dupontel (and Poelvoorde) are added to the list.

Dupontel - Bernie (OMG) but also Serial Lover (by James Huth - not Brice de Nice yet, but already very mad)

And Poelvorde... five more "cult" movies.

Amazing. Now my list has twenty cult comedies.

Attachments

• Culte.PNG
    Culte.PNG
    39.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
John Le Carré has died :(

Among things from him adapted to screen was the BBC mini series "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" with Alec Guinness. Very very good.
I still have the copy I recorded many years ago; I felt it kept to the original book very well. Like many, I see Sir Alec as Smiley whenever I re-read the books.

SRJ.

I wanted to ask a question about one of my favourite films, I didn't feel it was worth it own thread, but I felt this one would be appropriate.

The film in question is 'Sink the Bismark'. In the scene's near the end were Bismark is sinking, the one's which show the crew abandoning ships are obviously filmed on a RN cruiser; a typical RN funnel is visible in the background, however the shots showing the crew members struggling to escape from below decks a very difference. These scenes had a totally different feel to them they are very realistic and I was wondering where they were filmed, were they specially filmed for this film, or are they taken from another source such as recording of a training exercise.

Does anyone have any information. Regards.

I wanted to ask a question about one of my favourite films, I didn't feel it was worth it own thread, but I felt this one would be appropriate.

The film in question is 'Sink the Bismark'. In the scene's near the end were Bismark is sinking, the one's which show the crew abandoning ships are obviously filmed on a RN cruiser; a typical RN funnel is visible in the background, however the shots showing the crew members struggling to escape from below decks a very difference. These scenes had a totally different feel to them they are very realistic and I was wondering where they were filmed, were they specially filmed for this film, or are they taken from another source such as recording of a training exercise.

The wiki page have a comprehensive list of the RN ships involved in the filming (see « Ships involved »).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sink_the_Bismarck!
See IMDb page too for some few infos :
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054310/
Alas, couldn’t find precisions on how/where the interiors scenes were filmed. Very possible studio, as filming complex scenes, like flooding of interiors would be difficult in actual ships. But just my guess, moreover never watched the movie …

-The Final Countdown
-Stargate Atlantis
-Get Smart

Attachments

• countdown-1.jpg
    countdown-1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • stargate-atlantis-16.jpg
    stargate-atlantis-16.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 2
  • superagente-86-kkMD--620x349@abc.jpg
    superagente-86-kkMD--620x349@abc.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 2
Goodfellas or Heat or The Goonies or The Last Starfighter or The Big Lebowski or The Life of Brian....

The Office (UK one but USA is good too) or Spaced or The Wire or The Sopranos or Fargo....

It’s impossible to come up with just one of each!

Just rewatched the awesome Lord of the Rings trilogy and would recommend an Australian show called Mr Inbetween.

The wiki page have a comprehensive list of the RN ships involved in the filming (see « Ships involved »).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sink_the_Bismarck!
See IMDb page too for some few infos :
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054310/
Alas, couldn’t find precisions on how/where the interiors scenes were filmed. Very possible studio, as filming complex scenes, like flooding of interiors would be difficult in actual ships. But just my guess, moreover never watched the movie …

What is really sad is that the surviving King George V (Princes of Wales siblings) were scrapped in 1957-58, merely months before the movie was made...

Goodfellas or Heat or The Goonies or The Last Starfighter or The Big Lebowski or The Life of Brian....

The Office (UK one but USA is good too) or Spaced or The Wire or The Sopranos or Fargo....

It’s impossible to come up with just one of each!

Just rewatched the awesome Lord of the Rings trilogy and would recommend an Australian show called Mr Inbetween.

I equally like British, American and French comedies. Police Squad whackiness or the Monty Pythons absurdities.

Thank you Galgot and Archibald for you responses.

I'm a regularly use IMDB ab=nd was aware of what information is on there. I hadn't seen the entry on Wiki so thank you for that.

What if didn't make clear when I asked about the filming of the interior shots of the sinking was, was it filmed in a training complex. I know there was one in
Portsmouth which could be flooded and rolled and was used in damage control training.

I am always surprised that they got away with the scene following the mistaken Swordfish attack on the Sheffield where the Captain mouths "Stupid f*****g b*****d" in 1960 you would have thought the censor wouldn't let it through.

-The Final Countdown
-Stargate Atlantis
-Get Smart
"The Final Countdown" is one I like a lot too. Love the F-14s combats with (fakes) A6Ms, flights scenes are excellent. In fact a movie for with F-14, I much prefer that one than TopGun which I find stupid. And the theme by John Scott is good too.

Last edited:
-The Final Countdown
-Stargate Atlantis
-Get Smart
"The Final Countdown" is one I like a lot too. Love the F-14s combats with A6Ms, flights scenes are excellent. In fact a movie with F-14, I much prefer that one than TopGun which I find stupid. And the theme by John Scott is good too.
The Tomcat pilot that intercepted the Vulcan in a video I posted the other day flew one of the Tomcats that fought the Zeros. From the Jolly Rogers.

-The Final Countdown
-Stargate Atlantis
-Get Smart
"The Final Countdown" is one I like a lot too. Love the F-14s combats with A6Ms, flights scenes are excellent. In fact a movie with F-14, I much prefer that one than TopGun which I find stupid. And the theme by John Scott is good too.
The Tomcat pilot that intercepted the Vulcan in a video I posted the other day flew one of the Tomcats that fought the Zeros. From the Jolly Rogers.
Is it !! cool! I alway have in my head the part when the Tomcat make loop and then recovers after the dive, slow, with wings deployed , like a heavy bird trying to chase a sparrow. Beautiful.
I think there are some Vigillante footage too in there, not sure . long I didn't watch it.

Last edited:
-The Final Countdown
-Stargate Atlantis
-Get Smart
Is it !! cool! I alway have in my head the part when the Tomcat make loop and then recovers after the dive, slow, with wings deployed , like a heavy bird trying to chase a sparrow. Beautiful.
I think there are some Vigillante footage too in there, not sure . long I didn't watch it.
(58:00)

John Le Carré has died :(

Among things from him adapted to screen was the BBC mini series "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" with Alec Guinness. Very very good.
Very much this. Sir Alec Guiness the quintessential George Smiley, certainly for me anyway.