Farewell to Army Air Corps Gazelle after 5 decades

RavenOne

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Good bye after near 5 decades of service of the GAzelle AH1 in Army Air Corps (AAC) Service (Royal Air Force and Royal Navy fleet Air Arm Gazelles HT1 were retired well over a quarter of a century ago with flying training under Private Finance Initiative while the Royal Marines - Commando Helicopter Force 847 NAval Air Squadron retired theirs in the last decade).

Anyhow sadly the flypast did not come anywhere near my neighbourhood in East Anglia, so I am going to revisit when six and half years ago 2017, I attended the 50th Anniversary of the GAzelle helicopter held at our School of Army Aviation / Army Air Corps Centre at Middle Wallop so here are my photos of both our AAC, along with French Army Aviation (ALAT) pair and civilian owners.

Gazelle_50th_4.jpg Gazelle_50th_5.jpg Gazelle_50th_6.jpg Gazelle_50th_7.jpg Gazelle_50th_8.jpg Gazelle_50th_9.jpg Gazelle_50th_10.jpg Gazelle_50th_11.jpg
Gazelle_50th_16.jpg
Gazelle_50th_17.jpg

Gazelle_50th_12.jpg

Gazelle_50th_13.jpg Gazelle_50th_14.jpg Gazelle_50th_15.jpg

cheers

Attachments

• Gazelle_50th_18.jpg
    Gazelle_50th_18.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 0
End to an era for sure.

And I must need sleep, I first read the thread title as "Farewell to Army Air Corps Gazette" o_O o_O o_O

Someone near me owns an ex-Army Gazelle, I discovered recently. To my surprise, it's about the size, power, and speed of a Bentley Flying Spur. Which, granted, is big for a car, but not at all bad for something that can fly over the traffic.

Someone near me owns an ex-Army Gazelle, I discovered recently. To my surprise, it's about the size, power, and speed of a Bentley Flying Spur. Which, granted, is big for a car, but not at all bad for something that can fly over the traffic.
It is absolutely mindboggling just how much horsepower levels have increased in helicopters over the years...

The first time I saw a Gazelle was in a form of a Airfix kit....

Later on, the "Blue Thunder" was a mod from the Gazelle as well......