[Fantasy] Sabre-engined Mustangs

Tophe

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.kristofmeunier.fr
Thanks to Justo's topic
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3566.0.html
featuring a "Spitfire" with Sabre engine, here is the Mustang family I imagine with the same nose:
r_Sabre51_h.jpg

Of course, the Napier Sabre engine did not require a Fw-190-like nose (and the annular cooler would have made the ventral radiator removed).
This Sabre engine was also featured on the Hawker Typhoon, and the ugly nose radiator (of the Typhoon) could be replaced by the ventral one (of the Mustang).
At last we get Mustangs looking like the Merlin ones but with a more central propeller axis, a shorter nose, cleaner too (in my dreams, without practical need for extra air intakes):
r_Sabre51_p.jpg

Hey Tophe, nice to see you again! You still have this fertile imagination...

Tophe,

what about Griffon engined Mustangs?. I think the ideal model for it would be the CAC CA-15...

what about Griffon engined Mustangs?.

here's one for a start, the RB-51 Red Baron Air Racer,

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• rb5107.jpg
    rb5107.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 178
In my book Virtual Mustangs is a full page about the Griffon-Mustangs (page 14), including the Red Baron, and there is also a CA-15 derivative (page 65).
This book is completely free to download (and homeprint) at
http://cmeunier.chez-alice.fr/Free_EoFG_MV.htm
Thanks anyway.
What other engine would you suggest?

Great fantasy variants, Tophe! ;D

If the Sabre would fit, so too would the R-R Vulture (the first incarnation of Hawker Tornado P5219 gives you a scale for the new ventral radiator bath).

Another possibility would be the Fairey P.24 Prince. Battle K9370 gives scale (bad scans from "Fairey Aircraft since 1915" attached).

Attachments

• tornado-p5219.jpg
    tornado-p5219.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 167
  • fairey-p24.jpg
    fairey-p24.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 175
As I do not draw the exhaust pipes, the Prince engine brings not much more to the silhouette collection, while the Vulture engine with its radiator is more interesting, thanks. ;)
r_P-51canop_zt.jpg