Fantômes fourchus (dedicated to Tophe)

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
Pics courtesy of Lark. :)

First pic is Brewster's Buffalo replacement for the USN carrier fighter role.
This proposal 33A lost the USN fighter competition from 1941. A refined version was to have featured a bubble canopy and ejection seat.

From "L'Unique Potez 75" by Louis Leziaud (unidentified source)
The second pic it is an unidentified "1942 US Fighter project". It is very similar to the Brewster design...could it be the same aircraft?
The third pic it is "1942 McDonnell Manta with Allison V-3420-B2 engine"
Anybody can give some help on the identity of this forked ghosts ???

Attachments

• Brewster Proposal 33A.jpg
    Brewster Proposal 33A.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 1,388
  • Probable Brewster proposal 33A.jpg
    Probable Brewster proposal 33A.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,043
  • McDonnell fourchu.jpg
    McDonnell fourchu.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,033
Well, I have seen another US project, called the Snipe, matching far better the profile 1942, with its twin-fins and no dorsal air-scoop. I do not know the designer, the fin shape could suggest a Lockheed design like the P-38, I am not sure.
But your idea that the P.33A would have a fin continued below the tailplane is interesting. I just do not know, I had the same source that you presented, and the angle hides this area.

Hi pometablava

In what competition participated Brewster proposal 33A?
Against what projects it participated?
( USN fighter competition from 1941 )

Tophe said:
Well, I have seen another US project, called the Snipe, matching far better the profile 1942, with its twin-fins and no dorsal air-scoop. I do not know the designer, the fin shape could suggest a Lockheed design like the P-38, I am not sure.
But your idea that the P.33A would have a fin continued below the tailplane is interesting. I just do not know, I had the same source that you presented, and the angle hides this area.

Second picture in pometablava's post does not represent the Brewster P.33A project as we know it ("P.33A" being a Brewster designator, not a USAAC one). However, it matches exactly the aircraft project known as the Snipe (attached below), which could still be another stage in the Brewster project's design. It must be noted though that the Snipe had two counter-rotating pusher props, contrary to the P.33A.

Attachments

• Snipe.gif
    Snipe.gif
    79.8 KB · Views: 672
Many thanks for the info Stargazer. Do you have any additional data about that Snipe design? It is related to any major manufacturer or was it originated from an individual willing to contribute to US WWII effort?

pometablava said:
Many thanks for the info Stargazer. Do you have any additional data about that Snipe design? It is related to any major manufacturer or was it originated from an individual willing to contribute to US WWII effort?

This is exactly what I've been trying to determine but haven't been successful at it... yet.

More pictures...

The one with the twin vertical tails may actually be a SNIPE.

Attachments

• BREWSTER P-33a BW.png
    BREWSTER P-33a BW.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
  • brewster-p33a-model.jpg
    brewster-p33a-model.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 40
  • BREWSTER P-33A Inger.png
    BREWSTER P-33A Inger.png
    407.1 KB · Views: 43
  • brewster-bulldog.jpg
    brewster-bulldog.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
MORE AGAIN

Apparently it was entered in the US NAVY "SD 112" fighter competition where the F7F won the contract.

Attachments

• BREWSTER MUSEUM MODEL DESIGNED BY DAYTON BROWN.png
    BREWSTER MUSEUM MODEL DESIGNED BY DAYTON BROWN.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 50
  • Brewster 33D web.jpg
    Brewster 33D web.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Brewster 33A web.jpg
    Brewster 33A web.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 51
  • BREWSTER BLUEPRINT.jpg
    BREWSTER BLUEPRINT.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 51
Last time I heard of Tophe (from Whatif modelers where we crossed paths in 2006-2009) he had serious health issues. I wish him the best.

Back
Top Bottom