Reaction score
Hi,

The Fairchild M232 STOL aircraft was mention in aerofiles site and there
is a drawing to it.

Attachments

• M232.JPG
    M232.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,567
Found at the NASM in the Fairchild files was this lone drawing of a transport with four Pegasus vectored-thrust jet engines. No other info, I'm afraid. No indication of date, excepting that this appears to be a CAD drawing.

Attachments

• fairchildVTOLtransporta.gif
    fairchildVTOLtransporta.gif
    103.5 KB · Views: 1,480
Could this have been an early AMST contender against the Boeing YC-14 and McDonnell Douglas YC-15? It looks like the same kind of aircraft.

NO. "FHR-" designations correspond to Fairchild Hiller Report numbers, not model designations.

See this page for instance.

hesham said:
did you send this Fairchild VTOL aircraft project ?,I found it here and I can't ID it.

No, I didn't upload it there ! Interesting collection ...

It looks, as if it's from a "Flieger" issue, I think.

Thank you my dear Jemiba,

but I can't imagine its shape,please can you make just a sketch to how it
looks like,thanks.

Jemiba said:
hesham said:
did you send this Fairchild VTOL aircraft project ?,I found it here and I can't ID it.

No, I didn't upload it there ! Interesting collection ...

It looks, as if it's from a "Flieger" issue, I think.

Images seem to be from this forum. Except the nekkid lady pics on page 5.

Sorry, no more cute ladies in my Fairchild folder, but the VTOL drawing is from
FlugWelt N° 2, 1960. It's exactly the same scan, with the same slight shadow on
the left, due to the curvature of those big volumes. I took it around 2004 and
it's certainly still around here somewhere !

My dear Jemiba,

as my dear Paul suggested,I saw it in this forum,but I check from Fairchild VTOL designs on
the search,but no way.

The authors of that article worked for Fairchild, but that doesn't mean, that this is
a Fairchild design ! The drawing shows ways to integrate lift engines into a swing-
wing design, not more, not less.

Found at the NASM in the Fairchild files was this lone drawing of a transport with four Pegasus vectored-thrust jet engines. No other info, I'm afraid. No indication of date, excepting that this appears to be a CAD drawing.
This is not the "C-5B", but at that time Fairchild was subcontractor for other aircraft companies,. i.e. Boeing and Lookheed. The time frame of these pictures is 1968-1970.

I can't ID this Fairchild Jet-Flap VTOL Project ?,who can do ?.

It seemed to be there was a competition for VTOL Utility experimental aircraft during the next half of the 1950s;the translate for this Martin-Fairchild design ;

This type of Jet-Flap, simpler than yours ancestor. has been. also studied by Martin and Fairchild. While the latter is engaged in tunnel tests, come on elements to the truth and in studies on behalf of US military, and has as its ultimate goal the realization of a small experimental acrid, about 12 m wide wing and 3000 kg in weight with two J-69s, one used as a propeller and the other to obtain the flap of the Jet-Flap.
Martin instead devoted itself to experimental measurements of forces and pressures on elements wing in true grandeur. in anticipation of a possible application to a large hydro tun derivative of the Seamaster?) and to the
elaboration of the special equipment and particular techniques necessary for future uses.

Last edited:
Brain still on a bit of a tangent, in looking at attached images, that deflected jet wing is a concept I do not recall seeing before, interesting.
And then my brain goes, "Hmm, Deflected Jet, that's a good band name, what genre(s) would they play?"

I can't ID this Fairchild Jet-Flap VTOL Project ?,who can do ?.

It seemed to be there was a competition for VTOL Utility experimental aircraft during the next half of the 1950s;the translate for this Martin-Fairchild design ;

This type of Jet-Flap, simpler than yours ancestor. has been. also studied by Martin and Fairchild. While the latter is engaged in tunnel tests, come on elements to the truth and in studies on behalf of US military, and has as its ultimate goal the realization of a small experimental acrid, about 12 m wide wing and 3000 kg in weight with two J-69s, one used as a propeller and the other to obtain the flap of the Jet-Flap.
Martin instead devoted itself to experimental measurements of forces and pressures on elements wing in true grandeur. in anticipation of a possible application to a large hydro tun derivative of the Seamaster?) and to the
elaboration of the special equipment and particular techniques necessary for future uses.

Also a hint from Flightglobal 1958.

Attachments

• 10.png
    10.png
    151 KB · Views: 37