Escanear0001.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 305
  • Escanear0002.jpg
    Escanear0002.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 291
  • Escanear0003.jpg
    Escanear0003.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 281
That looks quite nice. I'll have to add that to my "look for" list for my next trip down to the Vought Archives.

Thanks! Mark

What is there in common between this design and the well-known F6U-1 Pirate that it should reuse its designation and name? Doesn't seem logical to me... At least the connection between the Panther and the Cougar was obvious...

I'm suspicious that the drawing above is just a guess at what a swept-wing F6U would look like. Vought did a design study of at least one. I drew the following from a Vought pencil sketch of it. However, after seeing the stuff that Jared Zichek has come up with, I'm reluctant to say that it isn't another Vought design concept. If so, it wouldn't be unusual for Vought to give it a what-if dash number.

Attachments

• F6U Swept by THT.jpg
    F6U Swept by THT.jpg
    490.9 KB · Views: 313
My opinion, which does not mean much, the V356 is closer to what you are describing.

Attachments

• V-356_20091017.jpg
    V-356_20091017.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 314
Cool, thanks very much - it looks like a twin engine design, though, not strictly speaking, an F6U derivative.
[/quote]

True, it appears other than an afterburning F6U variant, that most Vought designs of the time morphed into two and three engined versions. I would guess this was due to the limitations of the current generation of jet engines. This was the only "F6U looking" swept wing design that I have uncovered thus far. As time permits the search will continue.

overscan said:
Cleaned version of drawing.

Thanks that helped it with the loss of very little data.
Looks good!

Bill S said:
Cool, thanks very much - it looks like a twin engine design, though, not strictly speaking, an F6U derivative.

True, it appears other than an afterburning F6U variant, that most Vought designs of the time morphed into two and three engined versions. I would guess this was due to the limitations of the current generation of jet engines. This was the only "F6U looking" swept wing design that I have uncovered thus far. As time permits the search will continue.
My drawing was based on a Vought predesign sketch that I found in Jay Miller's collection. Rick Koehnen used the same sketch to produce an illustration in the F6U monograph that he did for Steve Ginter.

Twas not doubting what you presented at all. Only referring to what I had found thus far.

Hi,

I have five different drawings to F6U aircraft,no one like this,and I never
hear about F6U-3 before.

Also;

from the book; Chance Vought F6U Pirate,by Richard Koehnin.

Attachments

• F6U swept wing.JPG
    F6U swept wing.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 226