F/A-18E HEL pod concept

flateric

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
9,216
Reaction score
1,543
F/A-18E HEL pod concept from January, 2007 US Navy Office of Naval Research paper.
http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2007psa_psts/Deitchman.pdf
 

Attachments

  • ONR_TAA_HEL.jpg
    ONR_TAA_HEL.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 2,729

flateric

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
9,216
Reaction score
1,543
100 KW Fiber Pod Solid State Laser concept - again from ONR, 2006
http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2006psa_winter_roundtable/deitchman.pdf
 

Attachments

  • ONR_100KW_FIBER_POD.jpg
    ONR_100KW_FIBER_POD.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 375

CammNut

ACCESS: Secret
Joined
Feb 1, 2007
Messages
296
Reaction score
12
It's hard to separate fact from hype when it comes to high-energy lasers.

JHPSSL - Joint High Power Solid State Laser - started out with plans to build a 100kW-class weapon able to fit in a pod. The program will end this year with demonstration in a laboratory of just the 100kW electric laser, at a size that might fit in a transport aircraft, but won't go in a pod on a fighter. The technology is diode-pumped slab lasers. The contractors at Northrop and Textron

HELLADS - High-Energy Liquid Laser Air Defense System (a DARPA program) - aims to demonstrate a 150kW-class solid-state laser weapon system on the ground by 2010, complete with beam control and fire control, in a package that would fit inside one of the B-1's three bomb bays. The Air Force Electric plans, but hasn't funded, a flight test. Batteries would provide power and thermal batteries would provide cooling. The contractors are General Atomics (unspecified "liquid laser" technology) and Textron (a version of its JHPSSL laser technology).

RELI - Robust Electric Laser Initiative - the Air Force Research Laboratory has just kicked off this four-year programme to demonstrate high-energy, potentially eye-safe, fibre laser technology - the next step in solid-state laser technology, apparently. No contractors yet, as contracts haven't been awarded, but I think it's just a lab demonstration.

So, there is a lot of operator interest in high-energy lasers, but to me there still seems to be a lot of noodling in laboratories by scientists and not much progress towards real weapon, let alone one that can fit in a pod...
 

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
8,369
Reaction score
2,240
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
CammNut said:
JHPSSL - Joint High Power Solid State Laser

dr.evil.laser.jpg


CammNut said:
HELLADS - High-Energy Liquid Laser Air Defense System (a DARPA program) - aims to demonstrate a 150kW-class solid-state laser weapon system on the ground by 2010, complete with beam control and fire control, in a package that would fit inside one of the B-1's three bomb bays.

thumb.real-genius-laser.jpg
 

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
14,206
Reaction score
2,751
The Real Genius scenario would just be too damn funny. They even have it torching a dictator in the movie. Like what's been discussed with the C-130 laser project that's being worked on.
 

archipeppe

ACCESS: Top Secret
Joined
Oct 18, 2007
Messages
1,860
Reaction score
822
sferrin said:
The Real Genius scenario would just be too damn funny. They even have it torching a dictator in the movie. Like what's been discussed with the C-130 laser project that's being worked on.

I'd really loved "Real Genius" movie, especially the Val Kilmer young scientist (even the soundtrack "Number One" played by Chaz Jankel)....ok sorry for th OT....
 

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
8,369
Reaction score
2,240
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
sferrin said:
They even have it torching a dictator in the movie.

The movie showed a Latin American dictator or drug baron getting instantly vaporized by a space-based laser; vaporizing a human body would be well beyond what even a ground-based laser could accomplish. An airborne laser could, however, still be used to kill individuals. The practical value of that is obvious: if you see bin Laden or some similar walking about in public, you could light him up with minimal colateral damage. Unlike a missle or a bomb, there'd be virtually no travel time, and the only explosions would be of any pyrotechnic devices he might have on him. And of course there'd be the psychological value of such a weapon... some terrorist leader on Hajj, walking around the Ka'aba with his entourage, thinking himself pretty special, suddenly bursts into flames and dies a horrible screaming death in broad daylight? Or, even better, while giving a speech on live TV...
 

Lauge

ACCESS: Secret
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
434
Reaction score
16
Orionblamblam said:
And of course there'd be the psychological value of such a weapon... some terrorist leader on Hajj, walking around the Ka'aba with his entourage, thinking himself pretty special, suddenly bursts into flames and dies a horrible screaming death in broad daylight? Or, even better, while giving a speech on live TV...

Ahh, yes, the old Smite-The-Evil-With-Lightning routine always was a crowd pleaser ;D

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Denmark
 

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
14,206
Reaction score
2,751
Orionblamblam said:
sferrin said:
They even have it torching a dictator in the movie.

The movie showed a Latin American dictator or drug baron getting instantly vaporized by a space-based laser; vaporizing a human body would be well beyond what even a ground-based laser could accomplish. An airborne laser could, however, still be used to kill individuals. The practical value of that is obvious: if you see bin Laden or some similar walking about in public, you could light him up with minimal colateral damage. Unlike a missle or a bomb, there'd be virtually no travel time, and the only explosions would be of any pyrotechnic devices he might have on him. And of course there'd be the psychological value of such a weapon... some terrorist leader on Hajj, walking around the Ka'aba with his entourage, thinking himself pretty special, suddenly bursts into flames and dies a horrible screaming death in broad daylight? Or, even better, while giving a speech on live TV...

It's been a while. :) I just remembered some dude getting torched but the guy that keeps popping in my head was the one that gets a bomb in his lap in Hot Shots.
 

LowObservable

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2006
Messages
2,219
Reaction score
223
Nice concepts but as the estimable CammNut points out, that's all they are until the power and efficiency of the laser get kicked up a notch. For now, there is a certain amount of AND THEN A MIRACLE OCCURS in there.
 

KJ_Lesnick

ACCESS: Top Secret
Joined
Feb 13, 2008
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
45
So that laser pod would be used for strafing basically (except drastically more targeted, and way longer a range.)? What kind of range does this thing have anyway? (Let's hope I don't get torched for asking that :p )


KJ Lesnick
 

Wembley

ACCESS: Confidential
Joined
Sep 11, 2008
Messages
56
Reaction score
1
10 to 20 km. There's asome discussion of what you can actuially do with a 100 kw laser here -

http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/09/tactial-laser-l.html

"So if the beam stays on the same spot of the target for a full two seconds –- which is a very long time under the circumstances –- it would in theory boil off a disc around one centimeter deep. In real life, the laser would be much less effective, as smoke and steam would rapidly degrade the effectiveness of the beam. Also in real life, the energy is likely to be focused at the center of the beam. And flesh is not water. And nobody is going to hand around being lasered that long… But we're just trying to get a general idea of orders of magnitude here.

Bullets are lethal when they damage a vital organ (like the heart or the brain) or when they cause rapid blood loss. Most likely, a laser of this type would not easily be able to go deep enough to affect a vital organ. Plus, the laser would will be self-cauterizing, with the heat sealing off blood vessels. It's not going to kill you quickly."
 

flateric

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
9,216
Reaction score
1,543
Well, now we have SSL laser (defensive? offensive? or both?) proposed for B-2 as well...and for a bunch of other things...
http://www.analysiscenter.northropgrumman.com/files/Operational_Implications_of_Laser_Weapons.pdf
 

Attachments

  • ng_lasers.jpg
    ng_lasers.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 151

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
14,206
Reaction score
2,751
As much sense as that makes you know it's bound to be doomed. :mad:
 

Similar threads

Top