F-18 Flaps/Flaperons Question

KJ_Lesnick

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
The F-18 flaps and flaperons... I know the flaps and elevons both droop equally at least at high settings and they seem to have a slot. What I am curious about is what you call the part of the flap in front of the slot (it pivots/droops somewhat with the flap), does anybody know what you call that?

Also, I've heard the F-18's flaps use boundary-layer control...
- Does it cover the only the trailing edge (like the F-104) or does it cover both the leading and trailing edges (like the F-4)?
- Does this work only at high flap-deflections only?

KJ Lesnick

KJ_Lesnick

Reaction score
CammNut,

No boundary-layer control on the F-18. sorry

Oh I thought it did. Never mind

KJ Lesnick
BTW: Out of curiousity, why didn't any other airplane incorporate such a variable-camber flap set-up?

CammNut

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
The F-18 needs high-lift devices to operate from an aircraft carrier, hence the single-slotted Fowler flaps. The F-16 does not, so has simple leading- and trailing-edge flaps to vary camber.

AeroFranz

Reaction score
KJ_Lesnick said:
What I am curious about is what you call the part of the flap in front of the slot (it pivots/droops somewhat with the flap), does anybody know what you call that?

I don't remember the flap geometry in question, but what you describe is usually referred to as a vane.

B.J.

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I don't know what they call them in the fleet, but on the actual engineering they're called flap shrouds and aileron shrouds.

KJ_Lesnick

Reaction score
B.J.

I don't know what they call them in the fleet, but on the actual engineering they're called flap shrouds and aileron shrouds.

Thanks -- it's nice to actually have a technical-term for them.

KJ Lesnick

CammNut

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
AeroFranz said:
I don't remember the flap geometry in question, but what you describe is usually referred to as a vane.

AeroFranz is correct, in a conventional double-slotted flap the small aerodynamic surface between the wing and the flap is called a vane. But on the F-18, the main flap (and deploys backwards and downwards, in a Fowler motion, opening a slot between the flap and a smaller surface attached to the rear edge of the wing that also deflects, but without opening a second slot. That may indeed qualify as being a shroud. The aileron has one as well.

Attachments

• F-18E flaps.jpg
    F-18E flaps.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 47

KJ_Lesnick

Reaction score
Also, I forgot to ask, but out of curiousity, are the flaps ever operated manually by the pilot, or are they completely automatic like the F-16's?