F-14 with canted vertical stabilizers

danwild6

F-14 Fan
Reaction score
An early model, the G-303-1, I believe of the late 60's VFAX program featured canted outward vertical stabilizers like the YF-17 and F/A-18 family

303-1a.jpg

This feature was dropped in the later VFX program that resulted in the F-14 does anyone have an idea as to why and also what would be the effect of having a Tomcat with canted stabs

Canted fins lean outboard of the turbulence created by the that huge, wide fuselage, improving stability and control especially at high angles of attack.

Canted fins lean outboard of the turbulence created by the that huge, wide fuselage, improving stability and control especially at high angles of attack.
I read an article comparing the F/A-18 and F-14, it stated that at transonic speeds the F/A-18 and the F-14 suffered from turbulence issue was solved in the Hornet with the canted fins, F-14 did suffer from that how was that corrected? I do recognize that the Tomcats fins are slightly canted outwards but the article seemed to suggest that the turbulence issue was solved another way. I will try to find the article.

I read an article comparing the F/A-18 and F-14, it stated that at transonic speeds the F/A-18 and the F-14 suffered from turbulence issue was solved in the Hornet with the canted fins, F-14 did suffer from that how was that corrected? I do recognize that the Tomcats fins are slightly canted outwards but the article seemed to suggest that the turbulence issue was solved another way. I will try to find the article.
Ventral fins on the Tomcat would ve the logical answer I guess.
Note that canted fins are not the ultimate solution, as the Hornet had small vertical strakes added above the LERX to somewhat stabilize the vortex striking the fins, and iirc the latter had to be reinforced due to metal fatigue.

Note that canted fins are not the ultimate solution, as the Hornet had small vertical strakes added above the LERX to somewhat stabilize the vortex striking the fins, and iirc the latter had to be reinforced due to metal fatigue.
Yes, in 1987, metal techs reinforced all the vertical stabilizers on our CF-18s based in Baden-Solingen, West Germany. Those high-tech "knees" were supposed to reinforce stabs against virbration caused by turbulence shed by LERX. Our LERX had also been retrofitted with little fences along their outboard edges. The later F-18F deleted the slots through LERXs.

That would be my guess too and you can fit the heat exchanger in too.