Export Mig-25 interceptors

lancer21

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Aparently , there are two variants of them , the first looks like pretty much a late production Mig-25P, no IRST, Smerch radar etc, as exemplified by photos of lybian and algerian (video...) machines...

The second is much more interesting, as besides an IRST ( standard PD item), it has what apears to be RWR antennas on the intakes AND wing KDS-155 chaff/flare dispensers...it looks like a PD except the RWR antennas and the dispensers...so far i've failed to see a pic of a soviet PVO Mig-25PD haveing the same modifications ,( clearly Lybia and Irak had them ) except that of the suposedly Mig-25PDZ no 45 used for IFR tests...it clearly has the CHFL system and Beryoza RWR.

Here's a link showing the two export versions of the Mig-25 in lybian colours...
http://www.irandefence.net/showthread.php?t=14100

Here's a quote of what one can usualy find on the net regarding these late model export Mig-25 interceptors...

In 1982, one of the MiG-25PDS (reg. #7011) was fitted with ECM equipment to provide individual and collective protection from enemy radar- and IR-homing air-to-air and air-to ground missiles. The equipment comprised the Beryoza-LE radar warning receiver (RWR), Geranium ECM system and KDS-155 flare dispenser. The flight testing was completed in 1983. Later, another aircraft was converted for the same purpose. It was designated MiG-25PDSL (reg. #94). It was equipped with the Beryoza-LM RWR, Gardenia-1FU active ECM system mounted in the external pod, as well as chaff and flare dispenser. Its flight testing commenced in 1985.

No mention of any of them being for export , EXCEPT the Beryoza-LE designation( "E" surely for "Export")

May i ask , does anyone have more info on these export machines, particularily the Export "PD" ,do they have a different izdeliye number, how many of each were built/exported ?

Also , this Export PD, is it haveing the same Smerch-A2 radar as the P, or is it haveing the export version of the N-005, bearing in mind that this radar was based on the N-003 from Mig-23ML which was ALREADY exported at the time?

And lastly , were they actually delivered with the ECM system specified? ( SPS-162 Geran-talking about the engagement from the Second Gulf War on 19.01.1991 involvind iraqi Mig-25s and USAF F-15 , one of the US pilots mentioned at one point that the iraqis switched on their ECM which made them-USAF pilots- loose contact for a while...is it true they had ECM pods or the iraqis only carried an anti-doppler manoeuver? )

Thank you for your help!

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe that the Beryoza antennas and the chaff/flare dispensers mark the MiG-25PD, 1983 standard. I have only seen a few pictures of Soviet MiG-25PDs with these added features however, but both Libya and Iraq seem to have possessed them (presumably in export version). Attached is a photo of an Iraqi MiG-25PD with IRST and Beryoza antennas.

I do not believe such aircraft possessed internal ECM systems.

Attachments

• MIG-25 IRAQUI PILOTOS ESCUADRON 96 PRE-1991 223.jpg
    MIG-25 IRAQUI PILOTOS ESCUADRON 96 PRE-1991 223.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 322

lancer21

Reaction score
overscan said:
I believe that the Beryoza antennas and the chaff/flare dispensers mark the MiG-25PD, 1983 standard. I have only seen a few pictures of Soviet MiG-25PDs with these added features however, but both Libya and Iraq seem to have possessed them (presumably in export version). Attached is a photo of an Iraqi MiG-25PD with IRST and Beryoza antennas.

Thank you for your reply Overscan, and the picture aswell.

May i ask whether are there any pics of the 1983 standard Mig-25PD in soviet markings available somewhere online that i might have missed?

Thanks again !

robunos

You're Mad, You Are.....
Reaction score
Paraphrased from 'OKB Mikoyan', page 328 :-

'Hence an export version was developed...
It was a hybrid of the MiG-25P and MiG-25PD,
combining the long-nosed airframe of the former,
with the Smerch based weapons control system
of the the former.Appropriate changes were made
to the IFF system....'

also '...Experience with the MiG-25P and MiG-25PD
showed that theses aircraft would have to intercept low-level targets,
therefore ECM and IRCM systems would be needed to
reduce their vulnerability to enemy fire.
Thus, in 1982, a MiG-25PDS,"94 Red", was fitted with a
Beryoza-LE RHAWS system, a Gherahn' ECM pod,
and KDS-155 flare dispensers.
Thus designated MiG-25PDSG, this aircraft was sucsessfuly tested
in 1983, however, it was not produced in series as the ECM pod
was not available in sufficient quantities.....'

cheers,
Robin.

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
lancer21 said:
overscan said:

Thank you for your reply Overscan, and the picture aswell.

May i ask whether are there any pics of the 1983 standard Mig-25PD in soviet markings available somewhere online that i might have missed?

Thanks again !

I haven't found one, but I did find drawings and one photo of such a variant in a book. It is possible that a *later* update removed or repositioned the Beryoza antennas and hence ex-Soviet ones are lacking them? Or possibly the Soviet MiG-25 did not require defensive aids and therefore lacked Beryoza and chaff dispensers, while export customers requested them.

Not sure yet. Will look again later.

lancer21

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies Robunos and Overscan!

Interesting snippets from the OKB MiG book Robunos, thats one which i dont have. I do have several books over ( or touching) the Mig-25 subject, and there are drawings of the 1983 standard Mig-25PD( i'll post it here just for reference) , aswell as a single pic showing the PDZ no 45, which interestingly appear also in a very old Concord book , labelled there as EXPORT Mig-25PD!

Overscan i think you are right about why the late model Mig-25PD in PVO service dont have neither the new RWR , nor the IRCM, i did thought about this myself ,maby its the doctrine ( which i guess is they are not suposed to engage enemy tactical aircraft , but protect high value targets deep inland , unlikely to be attacked by fighter-bombers), otherwise how can one explain why the Mig-31 doesnt have any IRCM or ECM either !( i'm talking about the versions in service , not the Mig-31M which was suposed to have ECM gear and IRCM ...)

I also think aircraft like this export Mig-25PD and Mig-23MLD export were prepared/released for export ,especially to arab states, a very tactical environment, following among others the Bekaa war and the weaknesses revealed there of some aspects of soviet combat aircraft...its inteersting how efective the KDS-155 proved to be , as getting back to the Gulf War 1991, the americans had several AIM-9M shots defeated by this IRCM ( and aparently the Migs were in full A/B!) before those two iraki Foxbats sucumbed to AIM-7s...

And finally, this SPO-15 Beryoza system, has as its characteristic a general triangular fairing/installation for the forward hemysphere( like in Su-27 or Mig-25/31) or at least a triangular flush fairing( Mig-29/Mig-23MLD etc)- did found an interesting topic over this RWR here.

Anyway couple of pics...

Attachments

• mig25pd83.jpg
    mig25pd83.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 335
  • mig25pdz.jpg
    mig25pdz.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 344

Kiltonge

Greetings Earthling
Reaction score
Interesting snippet from Flight in 1981; Soviet response to Indian-French discussions on Mirage 2000 license production:

The Soviet Union has offered the MiG-25 Foxbat for licence production
in India.

Although cheaper and with almost immediate delivery of a first batch available,
the Foxbat is thought not to rouse serious interest in India.

It it not as versatile as the Mirage 2000 and India does not want to be-
come totally reliant on the USSR

http://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1981/1981%20-%203456.PDF#navpanes=0&scrollbar=0&page=1&view=FitH,0