Excellent new resource for CGI modellers

Merv_P

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Anders Lejczak is a CGI modeller who's just released his aviation models, previously sold commercially, as freeware.

They're intended for use with the Poser program, but if you don't have it you can use the meshes and textures in any 3D application or import the Poser figures directly into DAZ Studio, a freeware program which handles Poser content.

The downloads are here:

http://www.colacola.se/map_1.htm

DAZ Studio, if you want it, is here (free site membership required):

http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/software/studio/-/download?&_m=d

...Two things:

1) The link to the models is broken. Anyone have an updated link?

2) DAZ is, according to those who've used it, a marketing scam. It's got a couple of conversion features with an advertising wrapper that force feeds you spam and adverts while you use it. That's why I've refused to install it to try it out.

OM said:
2) DAZ is, according to those who've used it, a marketing scam. It's got a couple of conversion features with an advertising wrapper that force feeds you spam and adverts while you use it. That's why I've refused to install it to try it out.

Long, long out of date, but I've just noticed this while browsing and thought I should correct the misinformation (however inadvertent). DAZ Studio (DAZ 3D is the company, Studio their programme) is a free programme -- they market it as tellware and ask you to tell 2 friends about it, fully equivalent to Poser in features offered, and with a vastly superior user interface in the opinion of many people. Roughly speaking Studio handles something over 90% of available Poser content, the exceptions being dynamic clothing and hair and node based texture maps. For best results texture maps may need a little tweaking, but I usually find them pretty much passable out of the box.

I can see where the misunderstanding has arisen, one of the completely selectable tabs Studio opens with by default is a sidepanel link into the DAZ store where they market Poser content, but it's a couple of mouse clicks to turn that off forever -- I did it back in 2005 and haven't seen it since -- and anyone who doesn't know that hasn't looked at the tool in sufficient detail to have a valid opinion on it. As a tool it's focussed on figure work rather than modeling, so not a sole solution for Secret Projects stuff, but for rendering figures I think it's the best low-end solution out there -- example below:

Attachments

• Dancing With the Lady in Red.jpg
    Dancing With the Lady in Red.jpg
    649.2 KB · Views: 683
Seconding the kind words for DAZ. Good company, who develop some good older 3D programs like Bryce and Carrara.

The site in the OP is selling the 3D models of aircraft - and he should, they are excellent. I did not check every file, but the F-16 is a bargain at $20 if you want to make some Viper art.

What are free are the scenes he uses to start modeling, with 3-view drawings in a simple 3D scene for the app 'Modo'.

Have you seen this 3d modellers Marvin[/color] May's ssite

http://www.meshfactory.com/shop/catalog/free.php

Although some aircraft models sell for over $129 to $169 each to buy online, for about a US $300 price
the VIP subscription (for 1 year) allows you free download access to all the models in multiple formats.

Regards