EWR Aircraft List

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

Entwicklungsring Süd GmbH was formed by a Bolkow, Heinkel and Messerschmitt design consortium on February 23, 1959 at the suggestion of the Federal German Defense Ministry.

The strange thing is that there were two or more series,later I will talk about its sequences.

We can say,and about "EK" or the main series;

EK-1 was an experimental VTOL aircraft project,powered by two lift/cruise engines
plus two lift engines
EWR-2 to EWR-10 ------?
EK-11 was an experimental VTOL aircraft project,powered by one cruise engine plus eight lift engines
EWR-12 to EWR-17 ------?
EK-18 was an experimental VTOL aircraft project,powered by two lift-cruise engines plus three lift engines
EWR-19 to EWR-28 ------?
EK-29 was an experimental VTOL aircraft project,based on EK-18,powered by one
lift/cruise engine plus two lift engines
EWR-30 ------?
EWR-301 & EWR-302 ------?
EWR-303,EWR-304,EWR-305,EWR-306 & EWR-307 were a developed versions of VJ.101
EWR-310 was also a developed version of VJ.101
EWR-32 ------?
EK-33 was single seat low altitude close support STOL aircraft project,powered by one Lycoming LTC-4C turboprop engine
EK-340 was the same as VAK 191C ?
EWR-350 ------?
EWR-360 was a low-mid-wing VG fighter project,associated with Boeing as US/FRG VSTOL aircraft,powered by two jet engines plus four lift engines,with vectoring thrust and a crew of two
EWR-370 to EWR-390 ------?
EWR-400 ? was unknown,but may it was the same as A-400,as two-seat VSTOL
AVS fighter project,in associated with Fairchild-Hiller
EWR-410 ------?
EK-420 ? was unknown,but may it was VAK-191B
EK-421 was the same as VAK-191C ?
EWR-430 to EWR-450 ------?
EK-460/1 & EK-460/2 the concept was for a low-wing two-seat light attack and
COIN aircraftr project,powered by two Daimler Benz DB720/PLT 6 turboprop engines
EK-460/3 & EK-460/4 the concept was for two-seat low-wing attack and COIN aicraft project,but powered by one Lycoming LTC4G-3 turboprop engine
EWR-470 ----- ?,speculated designation

- To be continued,and additions or corrections are welcome

Last edited:
Before I start,I want to know the relationship between ERNO and EWR ?.

Entwicklungsring Nord abbreviated ERNO, was a totally unrelated consortium of Focke Wulf, Weserflug and Hamburger Flugzeugbau, formed in 1961 for rocket development.

I reach to EK-421

So, you are suggesting that 'EK-410' may have been an EWR re-designation of the original Fw 1262? Or was this 'EK-410' designation applied to the VAK 191 after Focke Wulf's cruciform tail was dropped?

Likewise, if 'EK-420' was the Messerschmitt-designed VAK 191B, did the 'EK' system in any way accommodate the six or more 'Marks' under that VAK 191B designation?

Also curious about 'EK' connections with other VAK designs. For example, where is EWR Süd's VAK 191A? And, if Hawker Siddeley's VAK 191C was assigned an 'EK' designation (your 'EK-421'), how did Fiat's VAK 191D fit into this 'EK' sequence?

I think a lot of these designations are speculative.

EK-360 was a low-mid-wing VG fighter project,associated with Boeing as US/FRG VSTOL aircraft,powered by two jet engines plus four lift engines,with vectoring thrust and a crew of two

I think that's EWR 360, not sure I've seen it specifically called EK-360. It seems to fit numerically.

We also need citations for the different designations. I can do that tonight.

According to Hans-Jurgen Becker, EK stands for Erdkämpfer or "Ground Attack".

As far as I can see, this was a specific set of design studies leading to the VAK-191. Not sure it was a "manufacturer" system.

Other drawings refer to e.g. "Typ 310" not EK-310, and the Boeing/EWR "Type 360".

Last edited:
Something like
  • EK 1 was an experimental VTOL aircraft project, powered by two lift/cruise engines plus two lift engines
    • Source:
  • EK 11 was an experimental VTOL aircraft project, powered by one cruise engine plus eight lift engines
    • Source:
  • EK 18 was an experimental VTOL aircraft project, powered by two lift-cruise engines plus three lift engines
    • Source:
  • EK 29 was an experimental VTOL aircraft project, based on EK-18, powered by one
    • Source:
  • EK 33 was a single seat low altitude close support STOL aircraft project, powered by one Lycoming LTC-4C turboprop engine
  • EK 421 EWR VTOL study to VAK-191
    • Source:

Type 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 310-1, 310-2, Type 310-3 were VJ-101C developments

Type 360 was a low-mid-wing VG fighter project, associated with Boeing as US/FRG VSTOL aircraft, powered by two jet engines plus four lift engines,with vectoring thrust and a crew of two

Type 400? US/FRG /AVS two-seat VSTOL AVS fighter project, in associated with Fairchild-Hiller known as "A400" - possible connection?

Type 460/1 & 460/2 the concept was for a low-wing two-seat light attack and COIN aircraft project, powered by two Daimler Benz DB720 / PLT 6 turboprop engines
Type 460/3 & 460/4 the concept was for two-seat low-wing attack and COIN aircraft project but powered by one Lycoming LTC4G-3 turboprop engine

Last edited:
Something like
  • EK 1 was an experimental VTOL aircraft project, powered by two lift/cruise engines plus two lift engines
    • Source:
  • EK 11 was an experimental VTOL aircraft project, powered by one cruise engine plus eight lift engines
    • Source:
  • EK 18 was an experimental VTOL aircraft project, powered by two lift-cruise engines plus three lift engines
    • Source:
  • EK 29 was an experimental VTOL aircraft project, based on EK-18, powered by one
    • Source:
  • EK 33 was a single seat low altitude close support STOL aircraft project, powered by one Lycoming LTC-4C turboprop engine
  • EK 421 EWR VTOL study to VAK-191
    • Source:

Type 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 310-1, 310-2, Type 310-3 were VJ-101C developments

Type 360 was a low-mid-wing VG fighter project, associated with Boeing as US/FRG VSTOL aircraft, powered by two jet engines plus four lift engines,with vectoring thrust and a crew of two

Type 400? US/FRG /AVS two-seat VSTOL AVS fighter project, in associated with Fairchild-Hiller known as "A400" - possible connection?

Type 460/1 & 460/2 the concept was for a low-wing two-seat light attack and COIN aircraft project, powered by two Daimler Benz DB720 / PLT 6 turboprop engines
Type 460/3 & 460/4 the concept was for two-seat low-wing attack and COIN aircraft project but powered by one Lycoming LTC4G-3 turboprop engine

OK my dear PaulMM,

and here is the source.

Attachments

• 20.png
    20.png
    85.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 21.png
    21.png
    121.3 KB · Views: 14