EMW - German WW2 Manufacturer

adler08

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Hello All, Although there are many references to an “EMW” as the manufacturer of German WW2 rockets, cannot find much on EMW itself. Does anyone have any information about it? Thanks for any information.

EMW started as "Fahrzeugfabrik Eisenach" (vehicle factory) in 1896 and was manufacturing trucks, guns
gun carriages and so on during WW I. After WW I production was changed from military products to small
private cars, and in 1928 the company was absorbed by BMW. After WW II, cars, designed by BMW were
produced again, but after a legal dispute in 1951, using the trademark "BMW" was prohibited for that company,
which was still under Soviet control then. So the name was changed to EMW ("Eisenacher Motorenwerke").

The forerunners of EMW produced aircraft engines since 1936 until the end of the war, but no aircraft, thaht's,
why I moved this thread.

I think this is what adler08 is asking about :-
"One of the prime functions of the Elektromechanishe Werke at Peenemunde became the development of anti-aircraft missiles, and of these, the types known as Wasserfall and Taifun had their origins with the Peenemunde establishment where a special command,subordinated to HAP 11, was established to co-ordinate the work."
Source, 'German aircraft of the Second World War', Smith & Kay, 1st ed., page 656.

cheers,
Robin.