Elon Musk Buys Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Neuralink has got dragged into the feeding frenzy now. God forbid you try to explain to people he stepped back from the day to day running some years back and is now just a public figurehead. Also I’ve seen people claim online that all their non-human subjects died which they didn’t. And that they only got the nod to move forward to human testing because of money, which they didn’t and shows people don’t know how the regulation of these things actually work.

Actually, in that clip back there he made some, good points. I know, say it quietly.

Twatter et al have been run by bots and freaks for a long time. Glad I am not a part of it but he may well turn them around after all.

There was a tweet apparently from a twitter employee in Ireland that said they were being ordered to move to Dublin in the next month or so if they wanted to keep their job. The housing situation in Dublin is not very good at the moment.
My understanding is that the housing situation kinda sucks all through the British isles.

Finding new digs while facing a chronic housing shortage is especially difficult. Musk doesn't seem to care.

Last edited:
1) You shouldn't be surprised to be let go.
2) You shouldn't be distressed to be let go. You are only losing 4 hours of work a week. Hardly anything.
3) Learn to code.

No. Just.... No.

He says they "only went in to work" 4 hours a week. As in visited the office. Remote working exists.

This is crystal clear, to take it to mean "only worked 4 hours a week" is duplicitous.

He says they "only went in to work" 4 hours a week. As in visited the office. Remote working exists.

People who have held down actual jobs weep for these poor souls. I bet farmers and factory laborers are all tore up that these "workers" have to actually go to where the work is.

Finding new digs while facing a chronic housing shortage is especially difficult. Musk doesn't seem to care.
So how is musk supposed to solve Britain's housing shortage? Use Starships to deport the illegals?
1. Dublin is in Ireland.
Britain most often refers to:

• The United Kingdom, a sovereign state in Europe comprising the island of Great Britain, the north-eastern part of the island of Ireland and many smaller islands
  • Great Britain, the largest island in the United Kingdom and Europe.
2. Musk can't solve Ireland's housing shortage.
3. Ignoring Ireland's housing shortage is simply bad business if you want to retain Irish staff.
4. Then again, forcing out Irish staff might be his aim anyway.

The number of data outages reported on Twitter soared by nearly 1,800pc in the nine hours after Elon Musk ordered the temporary closure of the company's offices.

The company told staff in a memo overnight that it had shut down all its locations "effective immediately", raising concerns about the effective running of the business amid reports of a mass staff exodus.

Mr Musk had already sacked half of Twitter's staff shortly after completing his $44bn (£38bn) takeover three weeks ago and issued an ultimatum to remaining employees on Wednesday.

It said they had until Thursday to decide whether to stay at the company, where they would need to commit to a new "hardcore" working environment.

Since then the number of outages reported on the platform have skyrocketed, according to monitoring website Down Detector.

It showed there had been 10 complaints of outages in the 24 hours until 11pm last night.

However, this rocketed to 188 by 8.30am, and has remained at high levels since.

1. Quite sure this type of topic is not really the focus of this site.
2. Clearly this topic has political baggage - particularly for those of the more right-wing/ libertarian persuasion.
3. The irrational hero-worship/ cult of personality versus/ clashing with clear manifest reality aspect, combined with classic “one of us” mind-set is fascinating from a human cognition and behaviour perspective.
3. Appears some contributors are repeating an established pattern of using any topic vaguely “political” to vent their pet arguments/ philosophies/prejudices and to try to provoke/ troll other contributors, as is their want.

As only a humble contributor who unfortunately has been through versions of this scenario before on this site I’d suggest other contributors avoid feeding into point 3 (definitely just best ignored) and hope the admin step in if/ when required (and submit valid reports to the admins if they prove to be required, rather than responding in kind).

1. Quite sure this type of topic is not really the focus of this site.
Quite sure that this topic has been up and active for seven months at this point.

2. Clearly this topic has political baggage - particularly for those of the more right-wing/ libertarian persuasion.

An observation that flies directly in the face of objective facts. it's not ringht wingers/libertarian screaming about the latest developments at Twitter... instead, they're laughing about them.

So how is musk supposed to solve Britain's housing shortage? Use Starships to deport the illegals?
1. Dublin is in Ireland.

British Isles, last I heard. And the housing shortage isn't restricted to Dublin or Ireland, but all of Britainland, IIRC.

You'd think the Irish could, however.

3. Ignoring Ireland's housing shortage is simply bad business if you want to retain Irish staff.
4. Then again, forcing out Irish staff might be his aim anyway.

If Irish-Twitter is as over-bloated with excess, useless employees as US-Twitter seems to be, then a thinning of the herd seems rational. Perhaps the way to go would be to individually pick and choose who to can and who to keep, but Twitter is hemorrhaging money too fast for that. How many Irish workers does Twitter actually *need*? How many workers total? Having more people on payroll than you need is goofy. Having *far* more people than you need and can afford is insane.

And there is the possibility of employment laws. Going through the employee rolls and picking and choosing who to can based on who's doing the best work just might bump up against local employment laws and regulations, specifically those regarding quotas and such. Make reasonable-yet-unreasonable demands, such as "show up at the office" would lead to mass *self* unemployment. Twitter can then go through the rolls of who left, find those few who were actually useful, and offer them their jobs back at, presumably, improved salaries.

If these armies of the recently employed were indeed so useful and valuable, it would be no problem whatsoever for them to band together and create TwitTwo and stomp twitter flat in the marketplace.

Last edited:

Famous last words, I suspect.

Alas, we have what is pretty much an EU puppet government these days, with a degree of corruption that rivals even that of the EU Commission itself.
Then that would seem to be a bigger issue than Twitter telling people to show up at the office.

Headline from today's Wall Street Journal:

If Twitter Crumbles, Will We Go Back to Talking in Real Life?​

I never used Tweeter, and I still talk in real life. For the record...

Headline from today's Wall Street Journal:

If Twitter Crumbles, Will We Go Back to Talking in Real Life?​

I never used Tweeter, and I still talk in real life. For the record...
I never used Twitter and tried hard to never talk in real life, either.

1. Dublin is in Ireland.

British Isles, last I heard. And the housing shortage isn't restricted to Dublin or Ireland, but all of Britainland, IIRC.

From what has been said in the past few weeks/months regarding housing, there are less than 500 properties available for rent in the whole of Ireland, blamed it seems on the policies that the Irish goverment has put in place, policies that the UK government and Scottish and Welsh assemblies are apparently rushing to copy.....

The rental subsidies system is an epic disaster for example.

'Your one free article' or it's behind a paywall.

The roles offered by JLR encompass most of its digital teams: autonomous driving, artificial intelligence, cloud software, data science, electrification, machine learning and more.

Chief information officer Anthony Battle said: “We are further strengthening our data and digital skills base so we can deliver our Reimagine strategy and become an electric-first business from 2025 and achieve carbon net-zero by 2039.

The roles offered by JLR encompass most of its digital teams: autonomous driving, artificial intelligence, cloud software, data science, electrification, machine learning and more.

This assumes that those laid off are actually useful in tech development. How do you build a car if your skills revolve around DIE and figuring out who to shadowban?

Alas, we have what is pretty much an EU puppet government these days, with a degree of corruption that rivals even that of the EU Commission itself.

This topic has veered off the subject (Musk's Twitter acquisition) into political commentary that is either arguable or just incorrect.

Closing thread. Can reopen if cleaned up and stick to topic, but it isn't really relevant to forum.

This assumes that those laid off are actually useful in tech development. How do you build a car if your skills revolve around DIE and figuring out who to shadowban?
Hundreds, perhaps thousands of those laid off or leaving are developers and engineers. Jaguar is not intending to hire content moderators.

Hundreds, perhaps thousands of those laid off or leaving are developers and engineers. Jaguar is not intending to hire content moderators.

"Engineer" is a vague term. "Developer" even more so. And will Jaguar hire them to work from home, or come into the office regularly?

"Engineer" is a vague term. "Developer" even more so. And will Jaguar hire them to work from home, or come into the office regularly?

Almost the entire IT industry is working flexibly these days.

I work in the office every day because it works for me. From a technical perspective, I can do my job from literally anywhere, like most IT workers. A colleague in my team works 4 days a week at home. One guy I've only seen in person twice in a year.

I'd say 60-70% of the IT people at my place are working from home on any given day. We have a once a month meeting most people attend. COIVD forced this change to happen, but it's not going to be undone easily. Some people are abusing it, but mostget the work done, but with the flexibility to pick up kids from school etc when they need to.

If I wanted to work from home and my employer didn't want me to, I'd simply leave and walk into a new job with an employer who would. In IT at least, the power is with the worker not the employer in the current market.

Some people are abusing it, but mostget the work done...

And that's the question. Are the twitter employees:
1) Abusing it
2) Getting the work done
3) And is the work they're doing worth doing. (NOTE: this includes working for Twitter *at* *all,* given that social media has proven to be a net negative for society.)

I'm seeing a lot of people predicting that Twitter will fall apart within a few days. If that happens, it'll likely be because of two main reasons:
1) Sabotage
2) incompetent engineering

Both of these are of course grounds for termination.

If on the other hand it *doesn't* fall apart, then that's an argument that a *lot* of those people now free to explore opportunities in the many, many other companies that see a Twitter record on a resume as a Good Thing, aren't needed.

In any event, as the artists are discovering, the "developers" and "engineers" will soon find that AI can do their job adequately well, at vastly lower cost and with few to none of the headaches. Ain't none of us safe, but it'll be especially ironic when the code replaces the coders.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.