Elias EC-3 Airmobile Aircraft

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

we know this company,it designed the EC-3 Airmobile,it was a huge high-wing monoplane,
if some has a drawing to it from Aircraft Yearbook 1929,all info about it;

EC-3 Airmobile 1929 = Shown in the plans section of the 1929 Aircraft Yearbook, this was huge, high-wing monoplane with the pilot in an open cockpit behind the wing, and with a cabin for perhaps four to six passengers. Elias has presented many problems for researchers, and this is another of them: (1) the big radial engine shown in the three-view belies its description of a "Liberty;" (2) the model merger of the EC line of small, low-powered sportplanes with the Airmobile biplane is odd; (3) no dimensions are shown, but it seems to be in the general size of the 1927 Airmobile biplane. It was undoubtedly never built.

http://www.aerofiles.com/_e.html

G. Elias & Brothers, Inc. established in 1881 in Buffalo, NY as a timber concern (later in 1919 created an aircraft department and then renamed it the Elias Aircraft & Manufacturing Corporation) with its first design, an experimental Army training airplane appearing in 1921. A Navy trainer was also designed in the same year.

The EC3, a passenger aircraft, is below, but was never built:

Attachments

• Airmobile EC3.jpg
    Airmobile EC3.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 177
Dynoman said:
G. Elias & Brothers, Inc. established in 1881 in Buffalo, NY as a timber concern (later in 1919 created an aircraft department and then renamed it the Elias Aircraft & Manufacturing Corporation) with its first design, an experimental Army training airplane appearing in 1921. A Navy trainer was also designed in the same year.

The EC3, a passenger aircraft, is below, but was never built:

Brilliant! I didn't have an illustration for the EC-3.

Allow me to correct one thing in your otherwise very informative post: the second 1921 machine was not for the Navy per se, but for the Marines. Also it wasn't a trainer, but a "Marine Expeditionary Aircraft" with 300hp Hisso H engine, designated EM-1. Six derivative EM-2 machines with 400hp Liberty 12 engine, single pontoon and wing floats were delivered in 1922, and used for various missions, including training. Six more examples are claimed to have been existed, but can't be found (maybe for export?). At least eight more distinct Elias types followed before the EC-3 project, the company's last known design, was drafted.

Thank you Skyblazer, it was the Marines and not the Navy. I was referencing a minimal description of some of Elias' work in 1921 from an Aerial Age reference that said Army and Navy aircraft. But you are correct. I also have a three view of the earlier EC-1 Aircoupe with dimensions if I can find it I'll post it.

Hi,

that leave a mysterious question,what about EC-2,was it exist ?.

hesham said:
that leave a mysterious question,what about EC-2,was it exist ?.

I was wondering exactly the same thing only tonight... EC-1 Aircoupe [X3981] was later modified as the EC-1 Airsport, an open-cockpit version. Makes me wonder if this may have been in fact "EC-2".

Here's a GA drawing of the EC-1 Aircoupe taken from Le Document aéronautique March,1929.
800px-Elias_Aircoupe_3-view_Le_Document_aéronautique_March,1929.png