EE Lightning Mk.9 ???

robunos

You're Mad, You Are.....
Reaction score
I've been talking to a fellow enthusiast at work today, who says he's seen a reference to a EE/BAC Lightning Mk.9, a multi-role version, possibly armed with Sidewinders.
This is totally new to me, can anyone else here shed any light on this?

cheers,
Robin.

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
Never heard of it. Seems like a what-if idea to me.

I could well be partly to blame.

I built a model of a two seat strike fighter Lightning in late 2014. Although I dont recall calling it a "Mk-9" at any time.

It was taken from a short written description found in the Putnams aircraft of English Electric, of a proposed 2 seater fighter bomber Lightning offered to the RAAF. No dates were given for the time frame.

The only photos of the model put online by myself are on the what if forum. But theres always a chance that photos of it taken at a UK model show by A.N. Other have found their way online. I usually have a description label along side my builds pointing out if its a what if?, canceled project or anything else. I'm also normally on hand to answer questions or correct any misunderstandings.
It wouldnt be the first time some one has ignored the facts in front of them and claimed a fictitious subject as real.

I read somewhere several years ago (Airforces Monthly I think) that there was a proposal to equip the Lightning with EIGHT AIM-9 Sidewinders in the late 70's.

As well as cost, the reason given for rejection of this plan was that the Lightning did not have the endurance for 8 air-to-air weapons.