Eats, shoots & leaves

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
I didn't want to pollute the other thread by going completely off topic there, but this reply is comically sloppy.
The idea that rolls royce had no sway with the ministry gust dosnt stand up to scrutiny.

Consdering how secretive the how prosses of creating the a300b was makes me doubt that the brienton ever agreed with the proposal.

Consdering how much money the uk would spend baling out both rolls royce and bae also really dosnt seem like the uk geverment considered aviation something not worth investing in.

Also the idea that us domestic was the only way to make money was true in the 60s, after that the airline industry became global (so gust another thing the uk government got wrong during this time period, but it's not like most others weren't caught off gard by the rise of the rest of the world in the airline industry)

I do agree airbus rise had more to do with it being the last one standing then anything else, but that dosnt mean it couldn't have crashed and burned at the stating gate.
Required reading in this case:
A panda walks into a café. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and fires two shots in the air.

"Why?" asks the confused waiter, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

"I'm a panda," he says at the door. "Look it up."

The waiter turns to the relevant entry in the manual and, sure enough, finds an explanation.

"Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots & leaves."
If, out of haste, you can't be bothered to properly formulate a reply, do not expect to be taken seriously.
English is a foreign language to me, as a courtesy to other forum visitors I try to avoid mistakes. Sometimes, I stumble.

And the word is spelled 'just' if you aren't referring to 'a gust of wind'.
(lightly edited)

Last edited:
Well sorry, English is not my first language,and unfortunately spell check doesn't cach a lot of the mistakes.

Hi Cjc,

Well sorry, English is not my first language,and unfortunately spell check doesn't cach a lot of the mistakes.

It doesn't need to be perfect, just throw in some commas to aid understanding :)

What worked for me was to simply do the commas in the same way as in my native language. That was maybe 70 % correct, and people managed to guess the rest with no undue difficulties.

"Eats, shoots and leaves" is a great little book, I enjoyed it very much! :)

Regard,

Henning (HoHun)

My native language is Dutch. When in doubt, I offer my Dutch text to Google Translate to filter out the worst mistakes. Or search on the internet for correct spelling of more obscure words.

Hasty typing is the mother of messy texts.
consdering - considering
brienton - Britain?

As someone who has established a complete inability to learn another language* I have nothing but respect for those that have. Nevertheless it can helpful to admit English isn't your first language, as readers are more likely to help. And (for me at least) predictive text and autocorrect can make things worse!

*Unless you include COBOL.

SRJ.

I get that posts like the above can be hard to read. So I offer an alternative -- don't read them. If a post looks frustrating, skip it. If a user posts a lot of content that you find frustrating or unreadable, use the ignore feature (lord knows I've done that one some folks for both writing and technical illiteracy.) But calling someone out for having a less than perfect grasp of English just seems unkind.

As for non-native speakers, please don't worry too much. Yes, sometimes translation problems can make something difficult to read, but that's not unique to non-native speakers. I find myself cringing sometimes while reading some of my own posts and I'm a very native speaker of English (who can barely string three words together in any other language). But also, don't hesitate to go back and fix your mistakes when you notice them. If you look at my posts, you'll see a lot of editing happening as I try to fix typos, awkward phrases, and the odd error of fact. And yes, touchscreens, autocorrect, and predictive text do tend to make things worse rather than better.

(heavily edited by me)
@TomS
I don't have anyone on my ignore list, not even you, @Cjc . Some of cjc's replies, even when borderline unreadable, actually add to the discussions. So I want to keep reading them.

Last edited:
I really must congratulate the enterprising BBC sales person who sold Allo, Allo to Nigerian TV. I had the pleasure of working on a French rig in the Niger Delta and it always amused me that the only time the messroom telly was switched off was when Allo, Allo came on. Never seen the crew move so fast.

Chris

The French Embassy was protected by members of the Gendarmerie Nationale doing service there in East Berlin. The laughter that followed my attempts at French when being put through to my colleague there who spoke fluent English was just revenge for 'allo 'allo.

A Facebook group yesterday felt the need to remind everyone how the BBC took the piss out of Spanish too in Fawlty Towers (the "three trays" skit). Still at least if we don't mention the War we'll be ok.