EADS ETAP

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
Source: AW&ST October 2000

At that time, European nations were expecting to sign a memorandum of understanding on what was called European Technology Acquisition Program ETAP.

ETAP envisaged technology concept and demonstration work during the next 10 years which could initially provide upgrades to Typhoon, Gripen and Rafale fighters and feed into a next generation fighter around 2020.

EADS officials outlined a road map which envisaged several different airborne systems.

Some UAV designs included:

-UCAV (already flying)
-URAV
-UAV for strategic recon and SIGINT

Attachments

• UCAV.jpg
    UCAV.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 209
  • URAV.jpg
    URAV.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 203
UAV for strategic recon and SIGINT

Aerospatiale Matra (later EADS) Hale/Fregate long endurance UAV (TO weight 33,000 lb, endurance: 30 hours at 60,000 ft).

Attachments

• Hale.jpg
    Hale.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 223
More on European UAV program:

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/2001/2001%20-%200392.html

Very very very small image of a URAV in this EADS graphic showing a future reconnaissance complex
Looks very different from all the other EADS fast UAV designs

Attachments

• EADSaufklärungsverbund.jpg
    EADSaufklärungsverbund.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 67
  • URAVeads.jpg
    URAVeads.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 66
Source: AW&ST October 2000

At that time, European nations were expecting to sign a memorandum of understanding on what was called European Technology Acquisition Program ETAP.

ETAP envisaged technology concept and demonstration work during the next 10 years which could initially provide upgrades to Typhoon, Gripen and Rafale fighters and feed into a next generation fighter around 2020.

EADS officials outlined a road map which envisaged several different airborne systems.

Some UAV designs included:

-UCAV (already flying)
-URAV
-UAV for strategic recon and SIGINT
Reminds me of the Dassault nEUROn UCAV. This one looks like one got stuck in a hotdog bun and was given a more powerful engine.

Very very very small image of a URAV in this EADS graphic showing a future reconnaissance complex
Looks very different from all the other EADS fast UAV designs
I think i found the origin of this URAV design
All the the reconnaissance platforms shown in the diagram are Dornier projects, and i indeed found a similar looking URAV in a Dornier Post article. The article is about a family of fast-flying UAVs including a design called Adros (Aufklärungsdrohnensystem) that was conceptualized as a successor to the CL-289 recon drone. This was an Air force project and Adros was supposed to be air launched, although ground and ship launched variants were considered.
Its not a perfect match but it has a similar cruise missile like layout.

Attachments

• DornierAdros.JPG
    DornierAdros.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I think i found the origin of this URAV design
All the the reconnaissance platforms shown in the diagram are Dornier projects, and i indeed found a similar looking URAV in a Dornier Post article. The article is about a family of fast-flying UAVs including a design called Adros (Aufklärungsdrohnensystem) that was conceptualized as a successor to the CL-289 recon drone. This was am Air force project and Adros was supposed to be air launched, although ground and ship launched variants were considered.
Its not a perfect match but it has a similar cruise missile like layout.
Very interesting, it is probably an equivalent to the Storm-shadow.