E15K - any development?

Ainen

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score

Well, E15K is quite a well-known attempt to create adequate shipborne scout against new fighters, as well as its sad story.
But everywhere(internets or available literature) i managed to find info only about E15K1, and nothing on planned ways to develop it.
As these plans exist even on very early development stages, and i really doubt what Kawanishi engineers thought, that they've created everlasting wounderwaffe , i wonder if someone has any infos\drawings on this.

Thanks for the infos.

With respect,

Ainen.

Attachments

• E15Ktakingoff.jpg
    E15Ktakingoff.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 39
The E15K had a detachable central float that could be jettisoned when it encountered enemy fighters. It was put into production:

From Wiki:

"Despite these problems, the E15K1 was ordered into limited production as the Navy Type 2 High-speed Reconnaissance Seaplane Shiun Model 11[6]. Six were sent to Palau in the South Pacific, but these were quickly shot down by Allied fighters, as the jettisonable float failed to separate on demand (although subjected to wind tunnel testing, the float separation system had never been tested on the actual aircraft). This resulted in the cancellation of production in February 1944, with only 15 Shiuns completed, including the six prototypes"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawanishi_E15K

Attachments

• E15K1 3 view.gif
    E15K1 3 view.gif
    26.9 KB · Views: 275