Dr.Strangelove - historical aspects and discussion

This is where sociologists might be of use…if they ever tire of telling us how wicked we all are and did something useful for a change.

A couple of books about the brilliant Hungarians:

Martians of Science: Five Physicists Who Changed the Twentieth Century

"If science has the equivalent of a Bloomsbury group, it is the five men born at the turn of the twentieth century in Budapest: Theodore von Kármán, Leo Szilard, Eugene Wigner, John von Neumann, and Edward Teller. From Hungary to Germany to the United States, they remained friends and continued to work together and influence each other throughout their lives. As a result, their work was integral to some of the most important scientific and political developments of the twentieth century."

The Man from the Future: The Visionary Life of John von Neumann

"The smartphones in our pockets and computers like brains. The vagaries of game theory and evolutionary biology. Nuclear weapons and self-replicating spacecrafts. All bear the fingerprints of one remarkable, yet largely overlooked, man: John von Neumann."

You completely missed his satirical comments about the origin of the technology.

"Well, it was the great enormous superiority of American technology, of course, as provided by our great American scientists, such as Dr. Werhner von Braun!"

You see, WvB was German born & raised, and was brought over from Germany after the war, and was not an American at all - thus linking his "American-ness" to that of the technology.

The original line he wrote (and recorded) was: "Well, it was good old American know-how, that's what, as provided by good old Americans like Dr. Werhner von Braun!".

The ideas that get repeated most often are what remain. I grew up in the 1960s with good, old American know-how. Later, I discovered the most popular stories were stories. The truth was quite different. It was not just the more well-known names like von Braun but Walter Dornberger and Krafft Ehricke, and many others, who provided the know-how. The U.S. used German technology to get to the Moon in 1969. Today, Elon Musk launches a rocket larger than the Saturn V and it blows up shortly after launch. If I was in astronaut training, I think I would consider doing something else.
Cleopatra before the pyramid of Cheops: "We are no longer able to do these things."

This explains why...when Star Trek: Beyond hit theaters... Hungary got these nice spacecraft drink-lid toppers.

What did we get in the 'States?

NASCAR cups.

If I ever get my mitts on those suits....