Delta wing, v-tail, experimental fighter

Desertfox

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I am looking for a specific delta wing v-tail fighter design. Unfortunately do not remember the country of origin or the company. It was single engine (its not the EAP), about F-16 size, and I don't think it ever got to the prototype stage, but I'm sure I have seen wind tunnel models of it. It might have canards, cranked delta, and be unmmaned but not sure on those points. Any information will be most welcome. Thanks!

Timeframe (judging from the overall design)? What exactly you saw (only the photo of the wind tunnel model or also some drawings, artists impressions...)? Where do you saw it? When? Any other details that you remember?

Time frame I'm guessing it's 70's to th 90's. The only thing I remember is the wind tunnel model, which I think was from a book. Unfortunately it's all I remember at the moment.

Sounds like a mockup I remember seeing in the American Secret Fighters book. It had a ventral intake, delta wing, and V-tail. For the life of me I can't remember the name or the company. The mockup appeared to be painted white and was from the late 50's - early 60's.

Northrop N-102 Fang?

index.php

No it's not the Northrop Fang. Thought it did have a ventral intake. The engine exhaust could be seen from the top view.

Something like this maybe?

Attachments

• Israel_Arye.jpg
    Israel_Arye.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,056
Reviving an old topic, as I found the picture of the aircraft in question, anyone know what aircraft it is?

Attachments

• IMG01478-20120617-1024.jpg
    IMG01478-20120617-1024.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 886
Reminds me a lot of one of the Lockheed ATF concepts.

Attachments

• Lockheed ATF impression 2.jpg
    Lockheed ATF impression 2.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 866
It reminds me also Yakovlev MFI, but it is not stealth optimized fuselage. I bet on some generic design (to illustrate future fighter).

Looking at the first drawing vs. the Lockheed ATF concepts I find the drawing is of a far smaller aircraft. The single seat cockpit extends to the edge of the fuselage whereas the Lockheed ATF has a two seater with ample room on both sides for the fuselage. Also the drawing has the canard and the delta wing a lot closer together. Third is the exhaust - the Lockheed ATF is obvious a twin engine with vector thrust, the drawing is a single engine without.

Loren said:
Looking at the first drawing vs. the Lockheed ATF concepts I find the drawing is of a far smaller aircraft. The single seat cockpit extends to the edge of the fuselage whereas the Lockheed ATF has a two seater with ample room on both sides for the fuselage. Also the drawing has the canard and the delta wing a lot closer together. Third is the exhaust - the Lockheed ATF is obvious a twin engine with vector thrust, the drawing is a single engine without.

The Lockheed design is single seat. However, you are correct in noting it is a larger twin engined aircraft vs the unknowns smaller single engine design.

Back
Top Bottom