Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
This is yet another subject I could have sworn we had more on. Oh well.

From an old thread on Off-world mining:
It seems to me that mining for minerals will move to the deep-sea before going out to space due to cost and infrastructure requirements. Current interest is actually in phosphorus nodules that would be used to manufacture artificial fertilizers. Sulfide deposits around active and extinct hydrothermal vents contain precious metals such as silver, gold, copper, manganese, cobalt, and zinc and there are large areas of polymetallic nodules.

In light of news stories like the one below, not to mention longstanding concerns over supplies of Rare earths and other vital materials already being increasingly squeezed by less than benevolent interests, is deep sea mining finally going to see it's breakout moment, so to speak? Will such mining ease the outbreak of resource conflicts, or inadvertently accelerate their spread?

There was mention of deep sea mining in this thread about the old HMS Challenger now MV Ya Toivo.

Ultimately if there is money to be made someone will give it a go. So that will depend on who can get access to onshore resources which a easier/cheaper to exploit. Ultimately however it seems a bit like deep sea fishing. Once you go beyond the Exclusive Economic Zone of 200 miles offshore it becomes a free for all. Unless everyone is prepared to get around the table an negotiate a new UN Convention on the Law of the Sea.

I just hope the submarine steel alloy here makes it to Sea Dragon

There is a new book on DSVs

It's a lot easier getting into space and back than it is getting to the bottom of the ocean and back.

Especially since the EEZs force you out off the edge of the continental shelves and into seriously deep water.

Hmm, interesting.
Am about to read this,

Back
Top Bottom