Dean « Delta » homebuilt from 1962

rousseau

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
I read a JAWA long long ago, I still remember clearly there is a plane show in that book. The aircraft is delta wing without canard, but fit propeller at tail where jet aircraft fit nozzle. So I quite sure that aircraft is not a jet aircraft but not sure it is a mockup only or a real aeroplane. Clear thing I remember is there are some letter painted on fuselage of this aeroplane, the first letter is "N", some number follow the N. Because I was in a hurry to search other things so this pic I lost to copy. Only one clue is that picture show in postwar JAWA maybe 90's or 80's. If you know the exact situation, please post here.
PS, looks like a F-102 refitted.

The A/C you are referring to is probably the Dean Delta. A homebuilt from 1962 which crashed fatally on its' initial flight. I have an artcle and photos on it but they are too large to post. Can anyone tell me how to shrink a .jpeg?

Hi Hermankeil,

copy your jpg in order to preserve the original scan
open the copy in your prefered image manipulation software and then choose the "file size" option in the aplication menu. Give a new value (some aplications have a "for the web" option. If it is not the case, modify the "width" value to 640 pixels and you'll have a picture small enough to be posted.

I hope this could help...

Cheers
Antonio

If you are able to do this, you can also choose a little bigger compresion for .jpg format. If you dont success, you can mail me them (hitechweb@szm.sk) and I will resize them.

pometablava said:
Hi Hermankeil,

copy your jpg in order to preserve the original scan
open the copy in your prefered image manipulation software and then choose the "file size" option in the aplication menu. Give a new value (some aplications have a "for the web" option. If it is not the case, modify the "width" value to 640 pixels and you'll have a picture small enough to be posted.

I hope this could help...

Cheers
Antonio

640 pixels? That is quite extreme?

I have found that as long as no dimension exceeds 1200 pixels, everything is fine.

Of course, if in doubt it is always best to upload to photobucket.

Rousseau,
I think this is the a/c you were talking about. It was built in 1962 by a self educated builder. Crashed on its' first flight (on takeoff) apparently because he insisted on testing it himself and did not understand delta handling characteristics.

Attachments

• Dean Delta 2.jpg
    Dean Delta 2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 364
640 pixels? That is quite extreme?

I'm sorry, maybe I was a bit conservative :p

In fact, my Scanner Sofware utility has two automatic options

image for display (96ppp)
image for printer (300 ppp)

I choose 96ppp for my posts and it works fine

hermankeil said:
Rousseau,
I think this is the a/c you were talking about. It was built in 1962 by a self educated builder. Crashed on its' first flight (on takeoff) apparently because he insisted on testing it himself and did not understand delta handling characteristics.

Wow! :eek: So smart of you! You did really good job! :D
Yes, this is what I want to remind of me! well, may be I man wrong, I think are there any single-seat one? :) In my memory, that cockpit is more close to a fighter just like a f-105 or mirage III not so cartoon as you post :)

Yes, it suffered pitch-up on take-off. It pitched up so much that it stalled and crashed immediately. Part of the problem was having the thrust line so high above the main wheels. The other problem was that airflow over the elevators reduced drastically when power was pulled to flight idle. Dozens have tried, but no one seems to have perfected pitch control on a delta with the propeller that close to the trailing edge.

riggerrob said:
Yes, it suffered pitch-up on take-off. It pitched up so much that it stalled and crashed immediately. Part of the problem was having the thrust line so high above the main wheels. The other problem was that airflow over the elevators reduced drastically when power was pulled to flight idle. Dozens have tried, but no one seems to have perfected pitch control on a delta with the propeller that close to the trailing edge.
The third problem is the very short moment arm between the main wheels (axis of rotation for take-off) and the elevators. A short-coupled delta requires massive amounts of up elevator to lift the noses wheel off the runway. That becomes too much up elevator as soon as the main wheels lift off. The pilot has to immediately reduce back stick pressure to avoid climbing too steeply.