DARPA investments in extreme hypersonics continue

"The propulsion technology area is developing a single, integrated launch vehicle designed to precisely insert a hypersonic glide vehicle into its desired trajectory, rather than adapting a booster designed for space missions. The propulsion area also addresses integrated rocket propulsion technology onboard vehicles to enable a vehicle to give itself an in-flight rocket boost to extend its glide range."
----------------------------------------------------
New solid rocket for this? That would be nice :D

Although a little off topic, I always think about how new weapon systems can fit into a integrated conops.

Could you imagine Chinese air defense operations picking up multiple HTV-2 type vehicles at Mach 20 weaving across the radar screens, just as a couple of SSGN's launch 100 or more cruise missiles, while B-52s and B-1s launch hundreds more, while UCAVs from carriers are also approaching the coastline while B-2's or NGB loaded with hundreds of stealthy cruise missiles, JASSM-ERs and JDAM's are also on the way. And that is just that start!

Not surprisingly, from me, this is why we should be keeping a large nuclear deterrent force and keep building up our missile defenses. A nation with nukes facing this type of unrelenting 'conventional' onslaught may resort to nukes as having no other alternative.

No nation in the history of the world can project this type of global power. Happy July 4th ;D

The goal of the IH program is to develop, mature, and test next- generation technologies needed for global-range, maneuverable, hypersonic flight at Mach 20 and above for missions ranging from space access to survivable, time-critical transport to conventional prompt global strike.

Talk about an ambitious goal. This seems more than HTV-2 part II. In addition to CPGS this is a space access and transportation development effort?

The IH program is designed to address technical challenges and improve understanding of long-range hypersonic flight through an initial full-scale baseline test of an existing hypersonic test vehicle.

So does this mean a third flight for HTV-2? I would think that getting a successful flight for it would be a prerequisite to moving forward to the next vehicle and new developments.

Speaking of the next vehicle:

Enhanced aerodynamic maneuvering: Global down range >20,000 nm with cross range capability >10,000 nm (as counted by either a single maneuver or the total of multiple mid-course, near terminal and terminal maneuvers)

Wow! :eek: A 10,000 nm crossrange capability!

I'm still reading through this.

Well, that answered my question about a third HTV-2 flight. Good to see that the experience on that will not be lost.

I wonder if the program will even last as long as ArcLight or LRASM-B before cancellation. :'(