Curtiss O-52 « Owl »

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
I believe the U. S. Army Air Corps's Curtiss O-52 Owl is a fairly well-known type.

Still, it came to me as a surprise to discover the alternate armed variant shown in the attached plan. Was this ever tested on a real aircraft, or did it remain a paper project?

Attachments

• Owl plan.gif
    Owl plan.gif
    150.6 KB · Views: 336
I for one have never heard of an armed Owl variant. Good find - interesting! -SP

I don't think the 3-view shows an alternate version. It shows a standard O-52 with the rear gun windows in the down position. I think the rear gun was standard.

Very interesting folks. I don't think I'd ever seen a picture of the gun and the rear cockpit open. Funnily the profile views both come from Russian/Soviet sources, not American ones.

index.php

Just discovered the Russian magazine Aviatsiya N°5 (2000), which has a wonderful 10-page feature on the O-52 and its operational service in the U.S.S.R. One of the photos shows the O-52 with the gunner position open. There is also an interesting set of photos of the inside of the cockpit.

Shame I can't read Russian fluently... Anyway, I'm sharing the pics from the magazine here because they are not in very good resolution so it's not really detrimental to the publisher (if ever it still exists, because the magazine was apparently short-lived). I'd appreciate any tips to properly understand the chart which I believe lists all Soviet Owls and their fate.

Attachments

• Owl_Aviatsiya-5_08.gif
    Owl_Aviatsiya-5_08.gif
    6.9 KB · Views: 209
  • Owl_Aviatsiya-5_07.gif
    Owl_Aviatsiya-5_07.gif
    49.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Owl_Aviatsiya-5_06.jpg
    Owl_Aviatsiya-5_06.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 44
  • Owl_Aviatsiya-5_05.jpg
    Owl_Aviatsiya-5_05.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Owl_Aviatsiya-5_04.jpg
    Owl_Aviatsiya-5_04.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Owl_Aviatsiya-5_03.jpg
    Owl_Aviatsiya-5_03.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Owl_Aviatsiya-5_02.jpg
    Owl_Aviatsiya-5_02.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 129
  • Owl_Aviatsiya-5_01.jpg
    Owl_Aviatsiya-5_01.jpg
    558.3 KB · Views: 158
I don't know where this one was originally from, but found it here.

Attachments

• Curtiss O-52 Owl_04.JPG
    Curtiss O-52 Owl_04.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 44
CostasTT said:
I don't know where this one was originally from, but found it here.

Interesting. Aviatiya N°5 had a two-page color set of profiles from the same artist, but with notable change in color hue. Also the one you shared contains a profile with the gunner position open, which does NOT appear in that set!

I'm sharing a low-res version of that color set here:

Attachments

• Owl_Aviatsiya-5_color-small.jpg
    Owl_Aviatsiya-5_color-small.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 49
Latest attached file replaced by better version.

Well, I can tell that the picture I posted must have come from a French publication...