Covid-19 Vaccine - Where, How & Costs

Status
Not open for further replies.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -United Airlines Chief Executive Scott Kirby said on Tuesday that the company had about 3,000 employees who have tested positive for COVID-19 but its vaccinated employees had neither died nor recently been hospitalized with the disease.

Chicago-based United was the first U.S. carrier to mandate vaccines for its employees in order to facilitate travel and flight operations. Airlines have cancelled thousands of flights since late December, when the surge in Omicron cases and winter weather began impacting schedules.
Kirby said in a memo Tuesday that "since our vaccine policy went into effect, the hospitalization rate among our employees has been 100x lower than the general population in the U.S."

Before United's vaccination requirements were put in place, "tragically, more than one United employee on average *per week* was dying from COVID," Kirby said. "But we’ve now gone eight straight weeks with zero COVID-related deaths among our vaccinated employees."

Geez, my stepbrother entire and complete family (five kids, two of them less than 3 years old) has caught COVID. None of them is vaccinated except their pre-teen daughter, because that was mandatory for high school. They believed they were safe, in their remote countryside... they were not. Sigh.
I wish they all make a complete recovery.

:rolleyes:

Geez, my stepbrother entire and complete family (five kids, two of them less than 3 years old) has caught COVID. None of them is vaccinated except their pre-teen daughter, because that was mandatory for high school. They believed they were safe, in their remote countryside... they were not. Sigh.
I wish they all make a complete recovery.

We spent Christmas with them.

Then this weekend I suggested we paid a visit to my kid former nanny, who has became a good friend along the years.

We did not made that visit... only to learn yesterday her kid (same age as mine) has COVID.

I feel surrounded, at times... dodging one bullet after another day after day week after week...

The World Health Organization's director of emergency program, Dr. Mike Ryan, said as much at the World Economic Forum's virtual Davos event this year.

"We won't end the virus this year, we may never end the virus. These pandemic viruses end up becoming part of the ecosystem," Ryan said.

"People talk about pandemic vs. endemic. This word 'endemic.' Endemic malaria kills hundreds of thousands of people, endemic HIV, endemic violence in our inner cities. 'Endemic' in itself does not mean good. 'Endemic' just means it is here forever," Ryan added.

He noted that the only major milestone the world can hit is rolling back the public health emergency status.

The UK Health Security Agency has designated the Omicron variant sub-lineage, known as BA.2, as a variant under investigation - but current case rates are very low.

Just 53 sequences had been identified in the UK by 10 January, according to the UKHSA, which said it was doing further analysis.

Initial studies from Denmark - where it's quickly taken hold and now makes up around half of Omicron cases - show no difference in hospitalisations between 'original' Omicron and BA.2.
"Our continued genomic surveillance allows us to detect them and assess whether they are significant," added Dr Chand.

BA.2 is S-gene positive - which may make it harder to show up as Omicron than BA.1, which accounts for 99% of cases.

S-gene target failure helps identify Omicron and can be picked up PCR tests because as a rule Delta cases have the S-gene and Omicron cases don't.
"It is expected that vaccines also have an effect against severe illness upon BA.2 infection," it added.

Some experts have said it's possible the sub-lineage could spread quicker than 'original' Omicron.

"Consistent growth across multiple countries is evidence BA.2 may be some degree more transmissible than BA.1," tweeted Tom Peacock, a virologist from Imperial College London.

"Unfortunately this is really where the evidence mostly ends - we do not currently have a strong handle on antigenicity, severity or a much evidence for how much more transmissibility BA.2 might have over BA.1 - however we can make some guesses/early observations."

It’s become increasingly clear that as far as the US is concerned the pandemic is being artificially extended by the unvaccinated in the country. I am not sure how much more the federal and state authorities can do with this group, I suppose not give up trying to change their minds. But TBH many of these people are going to pay the ultimate cost for their foolishness.

Let's see...
-stepbrother family: COVID, check (last week)
-the kid's school, COVID: check (7 times this january)
-ex kid nanny turned best friend: COVID, check (this week)
-the kid basketball club: COVID, check (last week)
-the kid piano teacher: COVID, check (last domino to fall, yesterday)

I feel surrounded, somewhat (and no my kid is not the reason of all this !)

Drats, at 300 000 daily contamination rates since 30 days, must have been 9 million of French people out of 67 million that caught Omicron since late December. Still a long way before everybody gets it (even if reality is 18 million or even 27 million).

Wish me luck, tomorrow evening I'll get my third shot of Pfizer, after a two months wait...

Heil, Pfizer ! (okay, that was silly, but if Captain America can say "Heil hydra"... political correctness hasn't completely won. No ?

Almost two thirds of people admitted to hospital following a positive Covid test were there “because of” the virus in four health board areas, according to new analysis.

Public Health Scotland (PHS) looked at hospital admissions within 14 days of a positive community-acquired Covid-19 infection in NHS Dumfries and Galloway, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, NHS Grampian and NHS Tayside between December 2021 and January 2022.
It found that across the four NHS Boards, 64% of such acute hospital admissions (198 patients) were determined to be “because of” Covid-19.

The remaining 36% of cases (111 patients) were described as being coincidental “with” Covid-19.
The greatest number of people admitted to hospital “because of” Covid 19 were aged 45-64 years (30%).

This was in contrast to the greatest number of people in hospital “with” Covid-19, who were between the ages of 19 and 44 years (37%).

The PHS report also stated that there was a “marked difference in the age profile amongst people in hospital ‘because of’ Covid-19 compared to ‘with’ the virus.”

People in the 65 to 79 age group and the 80-plus age group accounted for 43% of all hospital admissions for Covid-19 but just 24% of people “with” a recent Covid-19 diagnosis.

The report stated: “People aged 80 years and older were more than twice as likely to be in hospital because of their Covid-19 diagnosis as compared to those recently diagnosed with Covid-19 but in hospital for a difference cause (22% versus 9%).”
Data showing whether patients had the Omicron or Delta variant of coronavirus was available for just over half (55%) of cases.

Among those people admitted where the variant status was known, 83% in NHS Dumfries and Galloway and NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde were infected with Omicron.

In NHS Grampian, 36% of cases in hospital where variant information was known had Omicron.

It’s become increasingly clear that as far as the US is concerned the pandemic is being artificially extended by the unvaccinated in the country. I am not sure how much more the federal and state authorities can do with this group, I suppose not give up trying to change their minds. But TBH many of these people are going to pay the ultimate cost for their foolishness.

Artificially extended? The fact is the unvaccinated are more likely to be hospitalized. Aside from forcing them to be vaccinated, an ongoing factual information program needs to continue. Without mentioning false information being spread to convince some to avoid getting vaccinated, there appears to be a political component as well. In the U.S.

Local and national borders are just lines on a map, but the travel industry - air, ground and sea - wants everything to go back to exactly where it was. Is that reasonable without testing and putting other safety requirements in place regarding travel between countries? The virus, regardless of version, is unconcerned. No. People should not live in fear but get facts from their doctors or other healthcare provider.

Unfortunately, it appears to me that the Media in the U.S. is this salivating monster just eager to give the average viewer the worst possible news - especially if the word Deaths can be added. Taking all of the precautions is the best anyone can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.