Covid-19 Vaccine - Where, How & Costs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frack. How long did it took to make the Spanish Flu insignificant ?

It didn't become insignificant, it just disappeared as mysteriously as it had appeared.

Speculative speculation? What rot. No vaccine is the benchmark. With vaccines and everything improves for those who take them. However, the media in the US and abroad have mastered the awful skill of scaring the hell out of people. And to what end? More page views equal more ad dollars. As opposed to fair, balanced and accurate reporting. "Things are going well." Can't have that.

Every year - as in every year - there is a new flu shot. Why? Viruses mutate, new strains appear. And yes, every year, there will be a new shot for this virus. Meanwhile, scientists are working on better ways to prepare for whatever may lie ahead. That's what intelligent, rational people do.

Germany still not making AstraZeneca available to over-65s despite approval last week​

The Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine is still not available to over-65s in Germany despite being approved last week, it has emerged.
The German health ministry has yet to update its vaccine regulations almost a week after the country’s independent vaccine panel reversed its former advice and ruled the jab was safe for over-65s.
"Although it is now clear AstraZeneca is safe and effective for over-65s, there is still no directive from the health ministry," Karl Lauterbach, a senior politician from the centre-Left Social Democrats (SPD), said.
There is no suggestion the delay is politically motivated. It appears to be a result of the grinding bureaucracy that has helped leave the German vaccine roll-out far behind the UK.

It didn't become insignificant, it just disappeared as mysteriously as it had appeared.
It’s now one of the seasonal flu virus. When I read that the first time it did rather make you go woah. These things never go they just hopefully become mostly harmless in time. The four coronavirus that cause roughly 15% of colds are all former pandemic virus.

Last edited:
From the first link:

EU told to expect no AstraZeneca vaccines from US in near future​

Washington has told the European Union that it should not expect to receive AstraZeneca vaccines manufactured in the United States any time soon, two sources told Reuters, in a new blow to the bloc's rollout.
Distribution of Covid jabs across the EU has been hampered by delays in deliveries from manufacturers and, on Thursday, Brussels warned that Europe's supplies of AstraZeneca jabs could fall short in the first quarter of the year.
It comes after a number of European countries paused their use of the AstraZeneca-Oxford University vaccine after someonw who received it in Denmark died from a blood clot.
Thailand on Friday morning joined Denmark, Iceland and Norway in suspending the vaccinations but Canada, Australia and Mexico have said they will continue with the jab.

Was just listening to an episode of The Forum on BBC World Service about how Smallpox was eradicated. Interesting stuff though I could have done without one of the experts talking about how the genetic sequences of both Smallpox virus had been widely published, and how a few years back someone scratch built the Horse Pox virus. Luckily at the moment this is high end technology. But then he went onto talk about a 2001 simulation exercise in the US of using smallpox as a bio weapon and due to there being no natural immunity now and low vaccine stocks it would be very deadly. Though you would have to be a special kind of evil to use a weapon like that I’d of thought.

Around 1970, the following was reported on the CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite: "The US Army has admitted to spraying the New York subway with a germ warfare type bacteria in 1968 to monitor its spread through the population."

I suspect this news was released to impress the Russians.

Good news and again showing the importance of being vaccinated to the public good. I am however, increasingly becoming concerned that the anti-vaxxers in society are going to screw this up if there is enough of them. Every irresponsible action I’ve heard about has mostly been in the thirties and below age groups. I am not too worried by vaccine take up in the over forties. It’s going to be below that age where this idiotic belief seems to have got most of a grip that worries me.

Good news and again showing the importance of being vaccinated to the public good. I am however, increasingly becoming concerned that the anti-vaxxers in society are going to screw this up if there is enough of them. Every irresponsible action I’ve heard about has mostly been in the thirties and below age groups. I am not too worried by vaccine take up in the over forties. It’s going to be below that age where this idiotic belief seems to have got most of a grip that worries me.

Why worry? Science tells us that they are putting themselves at risk, including death in some cases. As long as they keep to themselves, everyone who wants a vaccine can get one. If there are any questions, individuals should contact their health care provider.

If one in three refuse to be vaccinated, the virus will continue to thrive in an environment that will provide opportunities for more virulent forms to evolve. Halve that environment, or reduce it further, and the likelihood of deadlier forms evolving is reduced. There are ethical and practical considerations against forced inoculation. Having said that - in my book, anti-vaxxers are anti-social.

The danger of increasing complacency in the U.K. to undermine good progress. Also the problem of people thinking that having one dose means you’re fully protected when you’re not.

Why worry? Science tells us that they are putting themselves at risk, including death in some cases. As long as they keep to themselves, everyone who wants a vaccine can get one. If there are any questions, individuals should contact their health care provider.
The rate of vaccination has to be above 80% of the population to effectively control the virus due to these more transmissible variants that have now turned up. Chris Whitty made an interesting point the other day that they are expecting another COVID wave in the late summer this will probably be made up of those who have refused the vaccine, those who cannot take it for medical reasons and those where it has failed.

The rate of vaccination has to be above 80% of the population to effectively control the virus due to these more transmissible variants that have now turned up. Chris Whitty made an interesting point the other day that they are expecting another COVID wave in the late summer this will probably be made up of those who have refused the vaccine, those who cannot take it for medical reasons and those where it has failed.

That will then be a decision to force vaccinations through government action in the UK. Since the Prime Minister has competent scientific advisors, what needs to be done will be done for the good of the country. I'm sure he does not want to see the situation turn bad again. There are two treatments available in the US that are not vaccines. They are taken intravenously for those experiencing mild to moderate symptoms. I suggest further research because things other than vaccines are available now.

EU says says speedy Pfizer production can help offset AstraZeneca vaccine delays​

The European Union will be able to stick to its vaccination targets this quarter despite AstraZeneca delivery delays as Pfizer is producing faster than planned, EU industry commissioner Thierry Breton said on Saturday
AstraZeneca said on Friday it would try to deliver 30 million doses to the EU by the end of March, down from a contractual obligation of 90 million and a previous pledge made last month to deliver 40 million doses.
Breton told France's Europe 1 radio that the delay was unacceptable, but that for now there were no plans to sue the company.
"The good news is that even though there are delays with AstraZeneca we won't be late with our vaccination programme in the first quarter," Breton said.
And Pigs will fly...

EU faces another setback in vaccine programme​

The European Union was faced with another setback in its coronavirus vaccination programme after AstraZeneca announced a shortfall, as countries across the world tried to step up their Covid-19 immunisation drives.
The pharmaceutical company's image had already taken a hit with several countries suspending the rollout of its vaccine over blood clot fears, though the World Health Organisation said there was no reason to stop using it in the fight against the pandemic.
Mass vaccinations are considered critical to ending the pandemic, which has claimed more than 2.6 million lives globally, and the AstraZeneca announcement was another blow for EU leaders, who have already faced criticism for the stumbling start to the jab drive on the hard-hit continent.
"AstraZeneca is disappointed to announce a shortfall in planned Covid-19 vaccine shipments to the European Union... despite working tirelessly to accelerate supply," the firm said on Saturday.
Read more: Oxford jab delivery hold-up disrupts EU bid to stop third wave

Status
Not open for further replies.