Could the UK have done a better job of maintaining carrier based air power?

As for EE and RR, Napier's engine division was bought by the English Electric group in 1942 - and the EE group was merged into the Rolls-Royce engine division in 1961.

So work done by EE before 1961 was separate from RR's work. The R.M.60 was the productionized version of the E.L.60.
My two sources say that the EL60 and RM60 were different engines. The Admiralty contracted RR to design & develop a gas turbine plant specifically for marine use and suitable for powering a 200-ton gunboat. The result was the RM60 which was tested on the steam gunboat Grey Goose. Meanwhile, EE was given a contract to develop a gas turbine designated EL60 which was intended for installation on Hotham.

I've assumed that the 60 in EL60 and RM60 meant 6,000shp.

Yes, the EL.60A and RM.60A were separate developments. Both were rated at 6,000shp.

English Electric based the EL.60 on steam turbine principles and it was a heavyweight turbine. The contract was issued in September 1946 and the project was cancelled off the back of disappointing shore trials before the planned installation in HMS Hotham which had been retained after Lend-Lease with permission from the US Navy who wanted to send observers and have a share of the data. Friedman hints that poor US results with similar turbine designs also contributed to the cancellation.

The Rolls-Royce RM.60 was more of a private-venture proposal that the Admiralty got interested it. It was based on their aircraft turbojets, so was much lighter and compact - hence its use in HMS Grey Goose on tests from spring 1953. Detailed design began in January 1951 and by all accounts it was a pretty advanced engine with high pressure ratio and low fuel consumption at low speeds.

A Rolls-Royce article on RM.60 (which also makes it clear the projects were seperate) can be found here: https://issuu.com/rolls-royceplc/docs/rr139/33

Friedman also makes mention of RL.75, an upgraded 7,500shp turbine that the Admiralty thought would be the next step with two powering a frigate, but it was overtaken by the steam-gas Y.102 plant for economy. RL is an odd designation, it could be a typo for RM.75?

These are Hobbs criticisms of the Invincible class based on the reading that I've done for recent posts.
  1. It wasn't CVA.01.
  2. It was nearly as expensive as CVA.01.
  3. The displacement was less than 20,000 tons for political reasons. This resulted in a hull that was too small and lightly built. E.g. he claims that the vibration problems were a result of the lightly built hull.
  4. It had Sea Dart, but so did CVA.01 and I don't recall him criticising the fitting of Sea Dart to her.
  5. The Sea Dart launcher mounted in what proved to be the most inconvenient place for both missile arcs of fire and aircraft parking forward of the island.
  6. It had sonar, but so did CVA.01and I don't recall him criticising the fitting of sonar to her. Plus (if I remember correctly) Eagle had a Type 184 fitted for self-defence in her 1959-64 refit and the RN wanted to fit sonar to every aircraft carrier.
  7. An excessively large island set to starboard of the centreline, but unnecessarily far inboard from the starboard deck edge.
  8. The lifts obstructed the Sea Harriers' runway.
  9. The narrow flight deck prevented its aircraft from landing next to the superstructure and the ship had to turn into the wind for the Sea Harriers & helicopters to land.
  10. A larger hull would have produced a much better ship at negligible extra cost.
So the real complaints are:
Expensive.
Small deck and lightly built hull
Sea Dart in a bad location.
Island too close to centerline.
Lifts/elevators in bad places.

Yes, the EL.60A and RM.60A were separate developments. Both were rated at 6,000shp.

English Electric based the EL.60 on steam turbine principles and it was a heavyweight turbine. The contract was issued in September 1946 and the project was cancelled off the back of disappointing shore trials before the planned installation in HMS Hotham which had been retained after Lend-Lease with permission from the US Navy who wanted to send observers and have a share of the data. Friedman hints that poor US results with similar turbine designs also contributed to the cancellation.

The Rolls-Royce RM.60 was more of a private-venture proposal that the Admiralty got interested it. It was based on their aircraft turbojets, so was much lighter and compact - hence its use in HMS Grey Goose on tests from spring 1953. Detailed design began in January 1951 and by all accounts it was a pretty advanced engine with high pressure ratio and low fuel consumption at low speeds.

A Rolls-Royce article on RM.60 (which also makes it clear the projects were seperate) can be found here: https://issuu.com/rolls-royceplc/docs/rr139/33

Friedman also makes mention of RL.75, an upgraded 7,500shp turbine that the Admiralty thought would be the next step with two powering a frigate, but it was overtaken by the steam-gas Y.102 plant for economy. RL is an odd designation, it could be a typo for RM.75?
I was working from the ONR (London branch) report that I linked* in my post.

That report made no mention of the R.M.60 being made by RR - nor did it in any way imply that it was talking about something from a different manufacturer (the previous section had been about the E.L.60) - a fact that had been noted previously when such a shift was done - so I believed it was still talking about work done by EE.

That was obviously an incorrect conclusion, and I thank you for bringing it to my attention.

* https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/tr/pdf/ADA037686.pdf

Expensive.
Small deck and lightly built hull
Sea Dart in a bad location.
Island too close to centerline.
Lifts/elevators in bad places.

One point I find interesting: Hobbs mentions internal volume, ~3.25 million cubic feet for Centaur vs 3.18 million for Invincible. I take that to mean with carrier construction standards, the Invincibles would have been more in the 27k/28k ton region?
Then, he advocates an increase in hull size. But together with a heavier ship, what would that have done to speed?

Part of Post 335.
1956 Two of the Argus class plus Ocean and Theseus take part in the Suez operation.
With a better airgroup than real world Eagle, Albion and Bulwark they do more damage to the Egyptians.
For what it's worth I've constructed this from Ballance, Howard & Sturtivant to show the air groups of the RN carriers that fought in the Suez War.

Suez Air Groups from Ballance etc.png

The above doesn't include 849A & 849C with Skyraider AEW.1s on Eagle & Albion respectively, the ship's flights of SAR helicopters and the Joint Experimental Helicopter Unit (JEHU) on Ocean which I think had 6 Sycamores & 6 Whirlwinds.

Also note that my source doesn't say what the numbers of aircraft per squadron were at the time of Suez. Most of the numbers are the number of aircraft each squadron had when it was last reformed, most of which are between July 1955 and June 1956 (the exception is No. 800 in February 1954). They may not have been the number of aircraft in the squadrons in October 1956.

Of the other RN aircraft carriers.
  • Ark Royal wasn't available because she was having one of her many refits.
  • Centaur wasn't available because she was having her steam catapults fitted.
  • Hermes was under construction and wouldn't complete until 1959.
  • Of the Illustrious class.
    • Formidable was scrapped from May 1953.
    • Indomitable was scrapped from September 1955.
    • Implacable was scrapped from November 1955.
    • Illustrious & Indefatigable were scrapped from November 1956.
    • This left Victorious which was in the last quarter of her 1950-58 "Great Rebuild".
  • Of the Majestic class.
    • Majestic & Terrible had been sold to Australia as Melbourne & Sydney respectively.
    • Magnificent was on loan to the RCN pending the completion of Bonaventure (ex-Powerful).
    • Powerful (now named HMCS Bonaventure) was still under construction and wouldn't complete until 1957.
    • Hercules & Leviathan were still laid up incomplete.
  • Of the other 8 ships in the Colossus class.
    • Colossus herself had been sold to France and renamed Arromanches. She fought with her sisters Ocean & Theseus in the Suez War.
    • Venerable had been sold to the Netherlands and renamed Karel Doorman.
    • The maintenance carrier Pioneer was scrapped from September 1954.
    • Perseus (the other maintenance carrier) was in reserve pending conversion to a submarine depot ship. However, the conversion was in 1957, presumably as part of the Sandys review.
    • Triumph was in reserve pending conversion into a heavy repair ship, which wouldn't be completed until 1965.
    • Vengeance was in reserve, but was about to be sold to Brazil.
    • Glory was in reserve.
    • Which, brings us to Warrior, the last ship of her class still in RN service as an operational aircraft carrier. She had recently re-commissioned after a long refit (December 1954 to August 1956) and had no squadrons embarked.
  • Unicorn the bespoke maintenance carrier was still in reserve having paid off in 1953. I have read that there had been plans to convert her into a submarine depot ship, but I don't know if that was the plan in October 1956.

Last edited:
Hobbs' real complaint is 'Not CVA-01', everything else is set dressing.
Then, he advocates an increase in hull size. But together with a heavier ship, what would that have done to speed?
More than you'd hope, less than you'd think. In big handfuls, about a 7% drop in top speed, and a 24% increase in fuel consumption at cruising speed, but details of hull design mean that there'd be some variation.

France fought Suez with Corsairs, and they lasted eight more years after that - 1964. By this point only the Football war of 1969 between Honduras and Salvador, would be fought with F4U Corsairs, too. Going from Corsair to Crusader must have come as a shock for some Aeronavale flotillas. BUT - better late than never.

• Ark Royal wasn't available because she was having one of her many refits.
  • Which, brings us to Warrior, the last ship of her class still in RN service as an operational aircraft carrier. She had recently re-commissioned after a long refit (December 1954 to August 1956) and had no squadrons embarked.
I can't find specific mention of Ark Royal being in refit - but as she had only completed building in Feb. 1955, it is likely she was still in the post-completion trials/refit/trials/workup cycle.

Warrior had, in early 1956, been designated as flag and operation control ship for Operation Grapple (the UK's H-bomb tests at Christmas Island), and thus was not available for any other use despite having not left the UK yet.

Hobbs' real complaint is 'Not CVA-01', everything else is set dressing.

More than you'd hope, less than you'd think. In big handfuls, about a 7% drop in top speed, and a 24% increase in fuel consumption at cruising speed, but details of hull design mean that there'd be some variation.

Read together with the "real complaint", we're talking 100+ % increase in hull size...

I can't find specific mention of Ark Royal being in refit - but as she had only completed building in Feb. 1955, it is likely she was still in the post-completion trials/refit/trials/workup cycle.
According to the following paragraph from Pages 64 &65 of Marriott.
Early sea trials with prototypes of the Sea Vixen and Scimitar were carried out during April 1955, at at the end of the month the ship commenced a short refit during which the port forward 4.5in gun turrets were removed and the angled deck extended further forward. The removal of the turrets allowed extra accommodation space to be installed; elsewhere the operations room was enlarged and some of the teething troubles experienced with the catapults were rectified. Finally the flight deck in front of the flight deck in front of the island was removed. The ship did not re-commission until November 1956 and thus did not take part in the Suez operations.
She was out of service for 18 months (May 1955 to November 1956). Now that's what I call a refit.

Her next refit was from July 1958 to November 1959 (Page 65 of Marriott) which is the one where she lost the deck-edge lift and starboard forward 4.5in gun turrets. According to the same source her next refits were February to September 1961, February to September 1964 and in October 1966 she paid off for the Phantomisation refit which began in 1967. She re-commissioned in February 1970.
Warrior had, in early 1956, been designated as flag and operation control ship for Operation Grapple (the UK's H-bomb tests at Christmas Island), and thus was not available for any other use despite having not left the UK yet.
For what it's worth I knew.

According to the following paragraph from Pages 64 &65 of Marriott.She was out of service for 18 months (May 1955 to November 1956). Now that's what I call a refit.

Her next refit was from July 1958 to November 1959 (Page 65 of Marriott) which is the one where she lost the deck-edge lift and starboard forward 4.5in gun turrets. According to the same source her next refits were February to September 1961, February to September 1964 and in October 1966 she paid off for the Phantomisation refit which began in 1967. She re-commissioned in February 1970.

For what it's worth I knew.
OK, first time I'd seen that. So a bit more than the standard "fix problems found during builder's trials" work.

However, I have photos of Ark in Gibraltar that was dated 5 July 1955, one of her in Toulon in 1955, and some in Grand Harbor Malta in 1955 and one dated 8 Nov 1955 with no location given- some with aircraft aboard, the two port 4.5" twin mounts still in place, and the sponsons aft of those guns not plated over (but there is a light steel plate above those gun mounts covering them from above - it doesn't look like they can still rotate to port or elevate the guns, as one pic shows the other 6 rotated to beam and elevated).

The next dated photos I have are from "1956" and May 1957 on the Forth, and show the changes you mention.
So I'm not sure when what was done.

HMS Ark Royal in Gibraltar harbor 8 July 1955:

HMS Ark Royal in Gibraltar harbor 8 July 1955.jpg

099 About to make fast Toulon 1955:

099 About to make fast Toulon 1955.jpg

Ark Royal entering Grand Harbour Malta 1955:

Ark Royal entering Grand Harbour Malta 1955.jpg

HMS Ark Royal (4) 8 Nov 1955:

HMS Ark Royal (4) 8 Nov 1955.jpg

ARK ROYAL 1956 [1]:

ARK ROYAL 1956 [1].jpg

15 May 1957 #3 HMS Ark Royal on the River Forth:

15 May 1957 #3 HMS Ark Royal on the River Forth.jpg

15 May 1957 #2 Ark Royal on the River Forth:

15 May 1957 #2 Ark Royal on the River Forth.jpg

This one is simply labeled "Ark Royal pre-1958" - note the guns:

Ark Royal pre-1958.jpg

Last edited:
If you two keep arguing like that, that thing will end larger than Jerry Ford CVN...
Another Ford class carrier: HMS Hobbs.

As for the weight/volume of the Invincible class: If the weight reduction did not lead to cost reduction (or even made the ships more expensive), the UK could have had 3 ~27k ton CVS or maybe 2 catobar (~35k-40k tons?) for the same money. Seems to fit quite well with the initial cost estimates around 1970 of ~ L3x40 million for 3 through deck cruisers.

Part of Post 335.
1956 Two of the Argus class plus Ocean and Theseus take part in the Suez operation.
With a better airgroup than real world Eagle, Albion and Bulwark they do more damage to the Egyptians.
This Part One of what I think the state of play in my "Version of History" would have been in October 1956.

The six strike carriers were Argus, ALT-Eagle, Glory, Hercules, Leviathan & Warrior while Ocean & Theseus were still the two training ships operating as improvised commando carriers.

• ALT-Hermes, Courageous, Furious & Glorious were under construction.
  • Albion, Ark Royal, Bulwark, Centaur, Real-Eagle & Real-Hermes were cancelled in January 1946 (along with the other Eagle) and scrapped on the slips.
  • All six Illustrious class had gone to or were about to go to the breakers.
  • Of the other 4 Majestic class.
    • Majestic & Terrible had been sold to Australia as Melbourne & Sydney respectively.
    • Magnificent was on loan to the RCN pending the completion of Bonaventure (ex-Powerful).
    • Powerful (now named HMCS Bonaventure) was completed by 1948 and was currently being fitted with an interim angled flight deck & a BS.4 steam catapult. The refit would be completed in 1957.
  • Of the other 6 ships in the Colossus class.
    • Colossus herself had been sold to France and renamed Arromanches. She fought with her sisters Ocean & Theseus in the Suez War.
    • Venerable had been sold to the Netherlands and renamed Karel Doorman.
    • The maintenance carrier Pioneer wasn't scrapped from September 1954 (as part of the Radical Defence Review of 1954) and instead was in reserve.
    • Perseus (the other maintenance carrier) was in reserve pending conversion to a submarine depot ship. However, the conversion was in 1957, presumably as part of the Sandys review.
    • Triumph was in reserve pending conversion into a heavy repair ship, which wouldn't be completed until 1965.
    • Vengeance was in reserve, but was about to be sold to Brazil.
  • Unicorn the bespoke maintenance carrier was still in reserve having paid off in 1953. I have read that there had been plans to convert her into a submarine depot ship, but I don't know if that was the plan in October 1956.

Invincible is not a carrier she is a cruiser. As originally designed in the late 1960s her role was to carry Sea King ASW helos and provide command and control for a task group of destroyers and frigates.
Early artwork shows her with RAF Harriers aboard.
Rightly or wrongly the RN were forced to accept that air defence and maritime strike had been taken over by land based RAF Phantoms and Buccaneers. Further away from the UK they would rely on the NATO Striking Fleet (aka the US Second Fleet) for these functions while hunting Soviet subs.
Change the political imperative in 1966 and Invincible does not get built but CVA01 as it appears in artist's impressions probably would not either:

No broomstick radar.
No Seadart launcher.
Simpler design and equipment.

Three ships probably would not have cost any more than the three Invincibles. But as with the Invincibles one and occasionally two would only be available.
The same airgroup as Ark Royal would have served into the 80s. At some point F18s would have taken over and possibly an E2 or two.
Two of the class would have made it into the 90s.

Part of Post 335.
With a better air group than real world Eagle, Albion and Bulwark they do more damage to the Egyptians.
Link to Post 416 which is Part One of what I think the state of play in my "Version of History" would have been in October 1956.
Some plausibility/feasibility checks before I write Part Two.

My "Version of History" is based on the cancellation of the Audacious, Centaur & Tiger classes in January 1946 and starting the design of the Real-1952 Aircraft Carrier in 1946 instead of 1952. The plan in January 1946 would be to have 9 in service before World War III started. That is 3 built instead of completing the Audacious class and 6 built instead of modernising the Illustrious class. However, this was reduced to 6 ships (instead of Ark Royal, Eagle & 4 modernised Illustrious class) by the time the 9-Year Plan of 1948 was written and only 2 out of 6 ships would be completed before 1957.

At present in my "Version of History" long-lead items for the first trio are ordered in 1948, the hulls are ordered in 1949 and they are laid down in 1950 with Argus & ALT-Eagle completed in 1955 to Standard B & ALT-Hermes completed in 1958 to Standard A. The second trio are ordered in 1951 as part of the 1951 Rearmament Programme, but they weren't laid down until 1954 and completed 1959-61 to Standard A.

The theory behind that is that the money spent after January 1946 on completing Ark Royal, Eagle, the Centaur class & the Tiger class and the 1950-58 "Great Rebuild" of Victorious & Centaur's 1956-58 refit would go a long way towards paying for 6 new & better ships on the theory that "steel is cheap & air is free". The first pair were completed in 1955 because that's when Ark Royal was completed. ALT-Hermes is laid down in 1950 & completed in 1958 because she takes the place of the 1950-58 "Great Rebuild" of Victorious. As I understand it the decision to complete the Tiger class was taken in 1951 but work on them didn't begin until 1954. That is why Courageous, Furious & Glorious are ordered in 1951 but not laid down until 1954 and they are completed 1959-61 because that's when the Tiger class were completed. The money spent on Real-Hermes 1951-59 is spent on building Courageous, Glorious & Furious 1951-59. The money spent on Real-Eagle's 1959-64 is either spent on the first major refits of Argus & ALT-Eagle (in which they were upgraded to Standard A) or the portion spent 1959-61 is instead spent on completing Furious & Glorious.

This leads me to my first question, which is, what are the earliest possible dates for putting the Type 984 radar, CDS & DPT into service? I'm thinking of delaying the completion of Argus & ALT-Eagle so they can be completed with them. However, if what Marriott wrote about Ark Royal being in dockyard hands for 32 of the first 48 months after she was completed is true, then Argus (which takes the place of Ark Royal) is in dockyard hands for 32 out of the first 48 months after she was completed and could have been fitted with them then.

I've also heard that a digital version of CDS was cancelled as part of the 1949 defence cuts. So my next question are. Is that true? Would it have been better than the analogue version? Would it have been as reliable as the analogue version? Had the analogue version been cancelled in 1949 could the digital CDS have been put into service at the same times as the analogue version and at around the same cost?

I made the original suggestion to build six 1952 Aircraft Carriers in Post 291. In that post Hercules & Leviathan weren't suspended in 1946 and were completed in 1948 as a sop to the Admiralty for the cancellation of the Audacious, Centaur & Tiger classes. The money to complete them (which shouldn't be much) comes from the money saved 1946-48 by cancelling the Audacious, Centaur & Tiger classes. What I didn't write in that post is that some of the money saved is used to complete the 8 Daring class destroyers sooner, say advancing it from 1952-54 to 1948-50, but the money spent on the Daring class after 1948-50 is spent on the 1952 Aircraft Carriers.

I also wrote in Post 291 that the Illustrious, Colossus & Majestic classes were to be refitted to operate 30,000lb aircraft as part of the 1948 Plan. This is because the Illustrious class was to be kept in service until it was replaced by the Argus class while the light fleet carriers were to serve as trade protection carriers in World War III and needed to be capable of operating the Sea Hawk, Sea Venom & Gannet.

However, the Sea Hawk FGA.6 had a loaded weight of 16,200lb (with 2 drop tanks and two 500lb bomb), Sea Venom had a loaded weight of 15,80lb and the Gannet AS.1 had a loaded weight of 19,600lb. All are according to the Putnams British naval aircraft book. The Implacable and Majestic classes were designed to operated 20,000lb aircraft. Does that mean they could have operated the Sea Hawk, Sea Venom and Gannet without further modification?

Is that's true it saves the expense of refitting Implacable, Indefatigable, Hercules, Magnificent & Leviathan to operate 30,000lb aircraft. It that's true it also means that the Colossus class ships only have to be upgraded from 15,000lb aircraft to 20,000lb aircraft, which will be a lot more feasible than refitting them to operate 30,000lb aircraft. We got part of the way there in the "Real World" because according to Friedman Glory, Ocean, Theseus, Triumph & Vengeance had their arrester gear upgraded to handle 20,00lb aircraft 1949-51 and Warrior had a refit 1954-56 which included upgrading her hydraulic catapult to operate 20,000lb and fitting a mirror landing sight, blind landing radar & an interim angled flight deck.

In Post 244 I asked.
Is inventing the angled flight deck earlier allowed? Say someone thinks of it in time for the concept to be tested by Warrior in 1948 instead of the flexible deck trials she conducted in the "Real World". If it is allowed that would have been 4 years before the real trials aboard Triumph in 1952.
Nobody said yes or no. I think it's perfectly plausible provided someone has the "eureka moment" at least 4 years earlier.

Is inventing the mirror landing sight 4 years earlier allowed? As far as I know all the stuff needed to make one existed 4 years earlier, it would be relatively cheap to develop & produce in the quantities required and in common with the angled flight deck only requires someone to have the "eureka moment" at least 4 years earlier.

In post 250 I asked.
Is taking less time to develop the steam catapult allowed?
Nobody said yes or no. So I'm asking the question again. I also wrote.
According to Freidman steam catapults were first suggested in 1936, but nothing was done at the time because at the time really powerful steam catapults weren't required. However, in 1944 the person that suggested it heard that the Germans were using slotted-cylinder steam catapults similar to the type that he proposed and in November of that year went to France and brought back enough German material to construct an experimental slotted-cylinder steam catapult as Shoeburyness.
Therefore, bringing the BXS.1 trials forward to 1947 is probably going too far, which is unfortunate, because it (in combination with completing the other Eagle instead of modernising Victorious and the earlier development of the angled flight deck) would have improved the quality of the RN's strike carrier force in the 1950s & 1960s.
Is 1947 going to far? And if so is 1949 reasonable?

The final questions are addressed to @uk 75 because it's his thread. The Point of Departure was that the Post-war Austerity Era was even more austere than the real one which was why the extra ships were cancelled in January 1946. However, in Post 291 I also wrote.
Plans to fully modernise the Illustrious class were abandoned by 1948 in favour of 6 new carriers that would be ready in time for the "Year of Maximum Danger". However, the Illustrious & Colossus/Majestic classes would be refitted to operate 30,000lb aircraft. This looked affordable to the Admiralty of 1948 because the economy was on the mend. For example the personnel cuts of the late 1940s were avoided so there was no need to lay up the King George V class battleships 1949-50 and downgrade Vanguard to a training ship in 1949.
@uk 75 will you allow me the quid pro quo? That is a better British economy in circa 1949 for a worse British economy in January 1946. In addition to avoiding the personnel cuts of the late 1940s, I want to avoid the late 1949 cuts to the aircraft programme and have less severe cuts to the FAA. In the latter case it was (if I remember correctly) cut to only 144 aircraft in 12 squadrons in the late 1940s and I want 300 aircraft in 25 squadrons. Will you allow me to do that?

Last edited:
Part of Post 246.
Eagle (the original one from 1942) was only 26% complete when cancelled in Dec 1945. £1.95m spent. Cancellation was estimated to save £5.5m to complete to original design. Then add extra costs for completion to Eagle (ex Audacious) Standard, or more to Ark Royal standards. Where will money come from?
Do you know how much had been spent on the Centaur class, Tiger class and Ark Royal & Eagle (ex-Audacious) in January 1946? And do you know how many percent complete they were at that date. I'll have to deduct the money spent on them to 1946 from their building costs of those ships to have a clearer idea of the difference between completing them and building six 1952 Aircraft Carriers.

The flippant answer to your question is, Her Majesty's Treasury. It would cost about £13.8 million to complete her in 1951 to the same standard as Eagle at an average of £2.6 million a year. It would cost about £19.5 million to complete her in 1955 to the same standard as Ark Royal at an average of £2.0 million a year. That's an insignificant amount to add to the £35.8 billion the British Government spent in the 9 financial years that started on 01.04.46 and ended on 31.03.55 at an average of £4.0 billion a year. Plus the average Government surplus in those 9 financial years was £351.2 million.

So it's a drop in the metaphorical bucket.

However, would it cost £20 million to lay her up until 1950 and then complete her in 1958 to the same standard as Victorious? Or if Hermes had been cancelled instead and the original Eagle completed in 1959 to the same standard as Hermes would it have been at a higher price than the £18 million that Hermes cost to build? I'm not being flippant.

As I understand it the long construction times for the ships that were completed in the period 1945-55 weren't so much because the Treasury couldn't find the money to complete them quickly. Instead it was because Austerity Britain had to export or die and the shipyards were concentrating on building merchant ships for export (and to expand the Merchant Navy to increase British invisible earnings) at the expense of their Admiralty work. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the original Eagle was scrapped in 1946 (instead of being suspended) to clear the slipway for the construction of merchant ships.

Ok quick comments.
1. Slip availability. They must be appropriate size and dates?
2. Digital CDS I'll have to check...?
3. Better? No because Digital storage limitations are substantial in this era.
4. Perfectly plausible to come up with and trial angled deck earlier.
5. Landing sight.... didn't the Japanese cone up with something?
6. Steam catapults. Probably could achieve a minor research effort in the 30's. Just another wacky scheme during WWII.....

Ok quick comments.
In my timeline the Admiralty begins their design in January 1946 with the intention of laying the first 3 ships down in 1950. That gives it 4 years to find and reserve the 3 slipways of the required size. The second 3 ships can be built on the slipways vacated by the first 3 ships.
If it's not better there's no point doing instead of the analogue version.
I agree.
Don't know. But if it's true then it makes it more plausible for a British naval officer to have the idea sooner than the one that had the idea in the "Real World".
6. Steam catapults. Probably could achieve a minor research effort in the 30's. Just another wacky scheme during WWII.....
The Opening Post says.
With the benefit of hindsight there have been lots of suggestions in threads here as to how the UK should have shaped its carrier airpower from1945 to the present day? But in reality could they have worked?
So we can't change anything before VE Day.

If we could I'd have suggested building the Illustrious class to a 27,000 ton design with taller hangars, which could be done by having the Second London Naval Treaty not reduce the aircraft carrier limit to 23,000 tons. I'd have also suggested that all British warships laid down after 1936 be built with AC electrical systems. We could also have had 4 Malta class could have been laid down instead of Vanguard & the Audacious class and 20 Super Centaur class CVL (that I jokingly suggested in the Centaur class thread) could have been laid down instead of the Colossus, Majestic & Real-Centaur classes.

Last edited:
Ok quick comments.
According to Friedman the waterline dimensions of the 1952 Aircraft Carrier were 815ft x 115ft and the corresponding dimensions of Malta Design X1 were 850ft x 115½ft so the UK must have had at least 4 slipways that were long enough. Plus the Luftwaffe's "slum clearance" of 1940-41 may have allowed some of the shorter slipways to be extended between 1945 and 1950.

Eagle (the original one from 1942) was only 26% complete when cancelled in Dec 1945. £1.95m spent. Cancellation was estimated to save £5.5m to complete to original design. Then add extra costs for completion to Eagle (ex Audacious) Standard, or more to Ark Royal standards. Where will money come from?
I'm not getting at you with the following. It's what Sheldon Cooper may have referred to as "fun facts" and comes from an A4 sheet of notes that I took from "The Design and Construction of British Warships" by D.K. Brown at my local reference library that I happened to have to hand.

The Vote 8 cost of Ark Royal (1934 Carrier) was £3,500,000.

The cost of the Implacable class was £5,400,000 (including guns, aircraft, etc.).

The crew of the Audacious class was 2,739 (war) with an air group of 84 aircraft with 50% overbearing of aircrews. That is 1,562 (132 officers) ship's complement and 1,177 (151 officers) air complement or 14 men per aircraft. Total accommodation was 2,843 and the peacetime crew was 2,275 as a private ship. The Vote 8 cost of Eagle was £16.5 million. Eagle was in the 1942 Programme and Ark Royal was in the 1940 Supplementary Programme.

The mean Vote 8 cost of the Colossus class was £2,500,000. He didn't quote the cost of the Majestic class. However, he did write that the BH.3 hydraulic catapult on the Colossus class was rated at 20,000lb, but the lifts, arrester gear & safety barriers were only rated for 15,000lb aircraft.

The Hermes class (better known as the Centaur class) was built under the 1943 Programme. The 8 ships ordered were intended to take 2 years 9 months (or 33 months) to build and at a cost of £2.8 million each. Brown didn't say whether it was the total cost or the Vote 8 cost, but I think it's the latter. He also wrote that due to inflation and the long delays the cost of Centaur rose to £10,530,000 and 65,841 man hours, more than 3 times by Centaur, but I think that's a transcription error by me and Brown actually wrote "more than 3 times more than Colossus".

As I think you're aware (but others may not) Vote 8 refers to the section of the Navy Estimates called "Shipbuilding, Repairs, Maintenance, &c." which therefore doesn't cover the cost of a warship under Vote 9 "Naval Armament" of the Navy Estimates. What we don't know is if the costs quoted in books like Jane's are the Vote 8 cost or the total cost. E.g. that might account for the difference of about £4.5 million between the costs of Ark Royal & Eagle because the only significant between the two ships was 2 steam catapults.

Jane's 1955-56 happens to say that the cost of Centaur was £10,434,000 excluding, guns aircraft & equipment or in other words the Vote 8 cost. The costs were £9,836,000 for Albion and £10,386,000 on the same basis or other words the Vote 8 cost.

Last edited:
According to Friedman the waterline dimensions of the 1952 Aircraft Carrier were 815ft x 115ft and the corresponding dimensions of Malta Design X1 were 850ft x 115½ft so the UK must have had at least 4 slipways that were long enough. Plus the Luftwaffe's "slum clearance" of 1940-41 may have allowed some of the shorter slipways to be extended between 1945 and 1950.
115ft to 115.5ft BWL is a figure to ensure drydocking at Gladstone drydock.

Davenport N.10 (a merger of two drydocks) allows for 815ft LWL and 118ft BWL, assuming the flight deck overhangs the dock's 855ft Length.

Edited in Additional:-
During the earlier Malta process, the then limitation of Davenport N.10 implied a carrier of
765ft LBP
820ft LWL
845ft LFD
The 114ft BWL version was 45,000tons deep load and had 190,000shp as per a number of Malta studies.

The later 1952 effort using the lines of Eagle came to LFD of 865ft, with a 815ft LWL hull. Again these studies worked on 190,000shp in the tropics.

The 118ft BWL option is from the 1970 sketch designs for CVA-01 at 50,000tons.

Last edited:
OK, first time I'd seen that. So a bit more than the standard "fix problems found during builder's trials" work.

However, I have photos of Ark in Gibraltar that was dated 5 July 1955, one of her in Toulon in 1955, and some in Grand Harbor Malta in 1955 and one dated 8 Nov 1955 with no location given- some with aircraft aboard, the two port 4.5" twin mounts still in place, and the sponsons aft of those guns not plated over (but there is a light steel plate above those gun mounts covering them from above - it doesn't look like they can still rotate to port or elevate the guns, as one pic shows the other 6 rotated to beam and elevated).

The next dated photos I have are from "1956" and May 1957 on the Forth, and show the changes you mention.
So I'm not sure when what was done.

HMS Ark Royal in Gibraltar harbor 8 July 1955:

View attachment 714516

View attachment 714517

Ark Royal entering Grand Harbour Malta 1955:

View attachment 714518

HMS Ark Royal (4) 8 Nov 1955:

View attachment 714521

ARK ROYAL 1956 [1]:

View attachment 714522

View attachment 714523

View attachment 714524

This one is simply labeled "Ark Royal pre-1958" - note the guns:

View attachment 714525
From “Britain’s Greatest Warship HMS Ark Royal IV”

First commission ended April 1956 on her arrival back at Devonport. She recommissioned on 1 Nov 1956. At that point she had lost the port forward 4.5” turrets in favour of a flight deck extension. But the side lift remained. She remained in home waters for the rest of the year working up.

May 1957 she was in Scottish waters - Cromarty & the Forth. Then to Norfolk Virginia and New York then back home by end of June.

The second commission ended in July 1958 with the third starting 1 Dec 1959. That refit was extended by a fire onboard. It incorporated a lot of machinery changes. The deck edge lift was removed. She began her post refit trials on 8 Jan 1960.

There are two books which I do not have to hand at the moment:
Vanguard to Trident by the late Prof Eric Grove.
Decline of British Seapower Desmond Western.
They chart the background to what the RN wanted its carriers for over this period. From memory escorts rather than carriers were consideref crucial. You then have the convoluted development of Seaslug and the start of the nuclear submarine programme.
A lot of time and effort went into the ASW Gannet and the awful Seamew intended as a reserve ASW.
The arrival of the ASW helicopter is embraced by the RN but it takes a long time to develop from Wessex to Seaking.
The whole escort cruiser saga plagued the RN from the late 50s through to the 1966 Fleet Working Group.
The sudden removal of the much more capable US types from the FAA and the lamentable aircraft substituted from the home industry gets the postwar RN off to a bad start.
Only the British could devote so much time and effort to developing rubber flightdecks for undercarriageless versions of these awful planes.
Compare the airgroups of RN and USN similar sized carriers (Eagle and Essex) and you can only weep.
Important though getting decent carriers would have been, I don't think it would have helped much.

Don't just blame the RN for studying the flexible deck. The trials on Warrior were in 1948/9. I recently came across these articles stating USN interest went on to at least 1953, when they built such a deck at Pax River.

Why were they studying this in 1953 when Britain had provided the solution to landing high performance jet aircraft on a carrier deck, and shared it with the USN in Aug/Sept 1951 and the USN had Antietam at sea with the first angled deck in Dec 1952?

As for a comparison of Eagle and Essex air group size, just what are you comparing with what?

Essex as designed 1940 - 90 (increased to 105 in 1945 which was considered too many) with US SOP having a permanent deck park.

Eagle as designed 1942 (using RN standard of hangar capacity being the limit) - 57-69 depending on aircraft dimensions with no deck park.

Implacable, designed for 48 Albacore sized aircraft, operated 81 aircraft in 1945 with a deck park.

Post war development of these ships was the difference between open and closed hangar designs, each of which had its pros and cons. Eventually the USN had to adopt the closed hangar with the Forrestals.

As for the Gannet, it was in a way caught by changing ASW practice. Designed from 1947 it took a long time to develop during which the emphasis changed with the evolving Soviet threat. An additional crewmember had to be added in 1949 and it never carried enough sonobuoys (only 8 IIRC) for the long range ASW task. Compare that with an S-2 Tracker. So the RN gave up on the long range aspect and concentrated on short range helicopters with an active dipping sonar. Eventually the Sea King came along.

Eagle and Essex airgroup I meant the quality and capabilities of the aircraft carried up to 1972 not the numbers.

From “Britain’s Greatest Warship HMS Ark Royal IV”

First commission ended April 1956 on her arrival back at Devonport. She recommissioned on 1 Nov 1956. At that point she had lost the port forward 4.5” turrets in favour of a flight deck extension. But the side lift remained. She remained in home waters for the rest of the year working up.

May 1957 she was in Scottish waters - Cromarty & the Forth. Then to Norfolk Virginia and New York then back home by end of June.

The second commission ended in July 1958 with the third starting 1 Dec 1959. That refit was extended by a fire onboard. It incorporated a lot of machinery changes. The deck edge lift was removed. She began her post refit trials on 8 Jan 1960.
Right - so April 1956 - Nov 1956, rather than May 1955 - Nov 1956 as the post I was refuting claimed.

That's 11 months less in refit, and allows the dates and locations in the photos I have... thank you.

I recently pulled several files from Kew on flexible decks for a future book project.
I've not had a chance yet to look at the photos I took in detail, but they go into some depth (one of the files had some large scale plans of the deck), including US links and the early work on angled decks too.
When I get around to reading them in detail I hope to be able to provide some insight. I'd always written off the whole thing as a joke, but there was a lot of serious intent behind it.

Right - so April 1956 - Nov 1956, rather than May 1955 - Nov 1956 as the post I was refuting claimed.

That's 11 months less in refit, and allows the dates and locations in the photos I have... thank you.
I've got the book out again and it definitely says.
Early sea trials with prototypes of the Sea Vixen and Scimitar were carried out during April 1955, at at the end of the month the ship commenced a short refit during which the port forward 4.5in gun turrets were removed and the angled deck extended further forward. The removal of the turrets allowed extra accommodation space to be installed; elsewhere the operations room was enlarged and some of the teething troubles experienced with the catapults were rectified. Finally the flight deck in front of the flight deck in front of the island was removed. The ship did not re-commission until November 1956 and thus did not take part in the Suez operations.
I also re-read the paragraph that preceded the above. It says she visited the Mediterranean in September 1955. Therefore, April 1955 is a typo for April 1956. This is also the book which had me saying that the building cost of Hermes was £37,500,000 for years when it was really £17,500,000. That makes me wonder if anything else in the book is wrong. I've also looked at the entry on Ark Royal in Ballance, Howard & Sturtivant which shows squadrons on the ship between May 1955 and May 1956.

What I did find peculiar when writing Post 411 is that Marriott called the May 1955 to November 1956 refit (18 months) a short refit and the July 1958 to November 1959 refit (14 months) an extended refit. If he really meant May 1956 to November 1956 (6 months) what he wrote makes sense.

Marriott also mentions the fire that @EwenS mentions in Post 425. According to Marriott it did considerable internal damage.

Compare the airgroups of RN and USN similar sized carriers (Eagle and Essex) and you can only weep.
For what it's worth from Jane's 1968-69.

Essex class CVA 60 -70 aircraft according to type.
- 2,000 (100 officers approx & 1,900 men approx) ship.​
- 1,500 for attack air wing.​
- 3,500 Total.​

Essex class CVS 40-47 aircraft.
- 1,517 (97 officers & approx 1,430 men) ship​
- 800 for ASW air group.​
- 2,300 Total.​
Eagle 44 aircraft (including 10 helicopters).
- 1,745 including ship's air staff.​
- 2,750 maximum including air squadrons.​
- However, the above may be for the ship as completed in 1951 and not in her 1968 configuration.​
Ark Royal 48 aircraft (including 8 helicopters).
- 1,632 to 1,745 [then a blank space]​
- 2,295 to 2,345 with air squadrons.​
- However, the above may be for the ship as completed in 1955 and not in 1968. Her crew in the 1970s (when operating as a flagship) was 2,640.​
Therefore, the American aircraft carriers needed much larger crews to operate their much larger air groups.

According to Marriott (who I am taking with a pinch of salt) said Eagle was able to carry 45 of the latest generation of naval aircraft after her 1959-64 refit.

According to Freidman this is the projected air group for Eagle in 1963 as projected in October 1956. (Page 312)
12 SR.177​
12 Buccaneer​
10 Sea Vixen​
8 Gannet ASW or ASW helicopters​
6 Gannet AEW​
2 SAR helicopters​
50 total​

So 1964-72 Eagle could have carried another 12 Buccaneer or Sea Vixen size aircraft.

Last edited:
For what it's worth from Jane's 1968-69.

Essex class CVS 60 -70 aircraft according to type.
- 2,000 (100 officers approx & 1,900 men approx) ship.​
- 1,500 for attack air wing.​
- 3,500 Total.​

Essex class CVS 40-47 aircraft.
- 1,517 (97 officers & approx 1,430 men) ship​
- 800 for ASW air group.​
- 2,300 Total.​
The first line is "Essex class CVA".

I suspect that this one.
View attachment 714517
And this one.
This one is simply labelled "Ark Royal pre-1958" - note the guns:
View attachment 714525
Were taken on the same day by the same aircraft. The aircraft are the same types parked in the same places and the crew are standing in the same places.

For what it's worth I counted one Dragonfly, 24 Sea Hawks, 8 Gannets and 4 Skyraiders - Total 37 aircraft in both photographs.

According to Ballance, Howard & Sturtivant (Page 345) the following squadrons served aboard Ark Royal between February 1955 and May 1956.
  • Sep 55 - Mar 56 - No 800 Sea Hawk FGA.4 & FGA.6
  • Sep 55 - Apr 56 - No 898 Sea Hawk FGA.4 & FGA.6
  • Oct 55 - Apr 56 - No 824 Gannet AS.1
  • Oct 55 - Jun 58 - No. 849B Skyraider AEW.1
  • Nov 55 - Feb 56 - No. 809 Sea Venom FAW.21
The section on 809 Squadron (Page 129) says that the squadron aught to have embarked in Ark Royal with 9 Sea Venoms in September 1956 but problems with fractured deck hooks prevented this and that it few to Yeovilton in February 1956 where it disbanded on 20.03.56. It reformed at Yeovilton on 07.05.56 with Sea Venom FAW.21s, did landing practice on Bulwark in July 1956 and in September 1956 embarked in Albion from which it flew in the Suez War.

Therefore, in its first commission the ship's maximum air group was 45 aircraft plus a few SAR helicopters.

Last edited:
This one can't be from 1956 if Ballance, Howard & Sturtivant (Page 345) are to be believed, because according to them the only Wyvern squadron to serve aboard Ark Royal was No. 831 which was aboard from January 1957 to November 1957.
There was a website called "Fleet Air Arm" or something to that effect (no longer functioning) which listed the air groups of all the UK carriers in some detail (including for the commando carriers). I had copied all of them for the Centaurs, Hermes, Victorious, Eagle, and Ark Royal.

It listed the following, so I do need to change the date (although it is possible that the Wyvern air group loaded aboard after she recommissioned on 1 Nov. 1956 but before 1 Jan. 1957, I don't know):

1955-1956
800 & 898 sqn. 16 Sea Hawk FGA6
891 sqn. 14 Sea Venom FAW21
824 sqn. 6 Gannet AS4
849 sqn. B flt. 4 Skyraider AEW1
Ships Flight 1 Dragonfly HR5

802, 804 & 898 sqn. 22 Sea Hawk FGA6
831 sqn. 6 Wyvern S4
815 sqn. 6 Gannet AS4

1957 - 1958
800 sqn. 14 Sea Hawk FGA6
893 sqn. 14 Sea Venom FAW22

View attachment 714523
I counted 22 Sea Hawks, 5 Wyverns, 4 Gannets and 3 Skyraiders for a total of 34 aircraft on deck.

View attachment 714524
I counted 23 Sea Hawks, 7 Wyverns, 4 Gannets and 2 Skyraiders for a total of 36 aircraft on deck.

The squadrons embarked in Ark Royal at 15.05.57 were:
  • Oct 55 - Jun 58 - No 849B Skyraider AEW.1
  • July 56 - Jun 57 - No 898 Sea Hawk FGA.4 & FGA.6
  • Dec 56 - Jun 58 - No 815 Gannet AS.1 & AS.4
  • Jan 57 - Nov 57 - No 831 Wyvern S.4
  • Feb 57 - Jun 58 - No 802 Sea Hawk FB.3 & FB.5
  • Feb 57 - May 58 - No 804 Sea Hawk FGA.6
  • Feb 57 - Jun 58 - No 893 Sea Venom FAW.21
As far as I can tell the squadrons had the following aircraft:
  • No 802 - 11 aircraft when last reformed, but might have been increased to 12. (Page 113)
  • No 804 - 11 aircraft when last reformed, but might have been increased to 12. (Page 118)
  • No 815 - 8 aircraft when last reformed. (Page 148)
  • No 831 - 9 aircraft when last reformed. (Page 194)
  • No 849B - 4 aircraft from the pictures in Post 434.
  • No 893 - 9 aircraft in June 1956 before some crews from 890 NAS were added, but the does not say how many crews. (Page 266) The entry on 890 NAS said it had 6 aircraft but two crews were lost in accidents and the squadron was disbanded. (Page 260) My guess is that 3 aircraft were transferred from 890 NAS to 893 NAS increasing its total to 12 aircraft.
  • No 898 - 12 aircraft when last reformed. (Page 271)
That makes a total of 69 aircraft, which consisted of: 36 Sea Hawks; 12 Sea Venoms; 9 Wyverns; 8 Gannets; and 4 Skyraiders.

I repeat my problem with UK carriers is not the numbers of aircraft carried but the poor quality.
1955-58
Sea Hawk
Sea Venom
Wyvern
Gannet ASW
Skyraider AEW
Dragonfly helo
Compare that lot of obsolete kites with what Essex class carriers were shipping?
Even in the 60s the FAA has to make do with Scimitar, Sea Vixen and Buccaneer S1.

I repeat, poor airframes not poor carriers were the FAA's problem.

However, as the main role of the UK carriers was "East of Suez" the likely opponents only started to get better aircraft in the late 50s with the appearance of Soviet export Migs.

In their NATO role of supporting the US 2 and 6 Fleet the poor quality was also not too serious until the arrival of jet bombers with missiles.

Last edited:
I repeat my problem with UK carriers is not the numbers of aircraft carried but the poor quality.

I repeat, poor airframes not poor carriers were the FAA's problem.

To a point... to 1954 (and even on to 1958-60) there was a small difference in quality - USN aircraft operating from the Essex class CVs weren't much better than the RN's save the Crusaders.

About 1960 is when the better US aircraft really started to appear... and most of them were too heavy/required too powerful catapults to effectively operate from all but Eagle & Ark Royal - and their modernizations were too late for the early 1960s (Eagle lacked the last bit of gear to operate Phantoms, and Ark didn't get that until 1970).

So until 1960 there really wasn't that much to differentiate Victorious/Hermes/Eagle/Ark from the Essex class (or the Forrestal class for that matter) - and then it was both bad aircraft AND small size that hampered the RN - about equally, I'd say.

I agree that we have shown that all of the RN's carriers could have operated Crusaders with a bit of work... but not A-3s. Everything else the USN operated could operate from the RN's flat-tops - S-2s, E-1Bs, Skyraiders, A-4s, FJ-4 Furies, A4D Skyrays, even F11F Tigers and F3H Demons & F3D Skyknights could.

But 1960 (-64) saw F-4 Phantoms, A-5 Vigilantes, A-6 Intruders, A-7 Corsairs, and E-2 Hawkeyes appear... and that was that.

Last edited:
This is what the French Aéronavale found bitterly in the 1970's. As far as American types were concerned, nothing fit Clems' except for A-4s, - so: upgraded Etendards.
And the problem with fighters was even worse: Hornets were just a little too big, just like A-7s, by the way. Crusaders had no clear replacement.

Back
Top Bottom