Convair. May 1953 Spy Satellite document?

Spark

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Have a reference to a classified Convair document May 1953 about a polar orbit TV reconnaissance satellite. Has any one details please?

Spark said:
Have a reference to a classified Convair document May 1953 about a polar orbit TV reconnaissance satellite. Has any one details please?

You should post the reference.

RAND completed an initial study of a polar orbiting reconnaissance satellite in 1952. That may have prompted Convair to do their own study. RAND's study resulted in them receiving a contract from USAF to perform a comprehensive study known as FEED BACK, completed in 1954. FEED BACK led USAF to start a program to develop a reconnaissance satellite known as WS-117L.

Hi blackstar,
Sorry, will give exact referance next week, was in a Flight article about Atlas circa 1960.
Hi Barry,
Thanks for the referances, will read tonight, The first Balloon Sat proposal that I am aware of was a BIS early fifties, illustration used in RAF flying Review article at a later date.

Barrington Bond said:
Haven't had time to read it but perhaps this might be useful?
RAND's Role in the Evolution of Balloon and Satellite Observation Systems and Related U.S. Space Technology
http://handle.dtic.mil/100.2/ADA216963
History of DCAS 1961. Volume V. Origins of the USAF Space Program 1945-1956
http://handle.dtic.mil/100.2/ADA950165

Spark said:
Hi blackstar,
Sorry, will give exact referance next week, was in a Flight article about Atlas circa 1960.

So was it about a Convair proposal ca 1960, or one ca 1953?

I have a short memo somewhere that details what sounds like a very cool Convair proposal for the Samos E-6 reconnaissance satellite. That was ca 1960. Convair apparently proposed a vehicle with multiple reentry vehicles arranged like the bullets in a revolver. Unfortunately, the memo contains no illustrations.

Spark said:
Thanks for the referances, will read tonight, The first Balloon Sat proposal that I am aware of was a BIS early fifties, illustration used in RAF flying Review article at a later date.

You misinterpreted that. It is: balloons that can be used for observations, and satellites that can be used for observations.

Hi Barry,
Yes, thanks, that is the one I was thinking off

Hi Blackstar,
Yes, thanks you are right, I understood that when I read the article in full when I got home.
The Flight date of publication was 1960, 13th April, page 650. referance was to the early classified Convair document May 1953 about a polar orbit TV reconnaissance satellite. Convair proposal.

blackstar said:
Spark said:

You misinterpreted that. It is: balloons that can be used for observations, and satellites that can be used for observations.

Spark said:
The Flight date of publication was 1960, 13th April, page 650. referance was to the early classified Convair document May 1953 about a polar orbit TV reconnaissance satellite. Convair proposal.

I've never seen any documents like that. It is possible that it exists somewhere in the Convair archives, but I somewhat doubt it.

1953 is before the RAND Project FEED BACK report was issued and is therefore before the USAF held a formal competition for companies to bid on producing such a satellite (that competition was called PIED PIPER). You might go to DTIC and see what they have on PIED PIPER and see if anything by Convair pops up.