Convair Advanced Designs: Secret Projects from San Diego, 1923-1962

On page 173 of this book, is a picture of the XB-46 prototype, parked on the ramp. Behind it, on a trolley, is something that looks for all the world
like an aircraft cockpit section, complete with low-profile, XB-36-style canopy. Does anyone have any idea as to what it is?? TIA.

cheers,
Robin.

Have ordered with a bunch of other SP books. Seems that stocks are running dry pretty fast with a number of their editions, so be warned.

robunos said:
like an aircraft cockpit section, complete with low-profile, XB-36-style canopy. Does anyone have any idea as to what it is?? TIA.

Most likely a Convair XB-32 forward fuselage, or mockup thereof.

xb-32.jpg

Depending on what happens to Specialty Press (see other thread) - this has been announced on Amazon :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Convair-Advanced-Designs-Transports-1946-1962/dp/158007166X/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3L3HIW1HUMW25&colid=AO3PW2Y5652W

Convair Advanced Designs: Secret Fighters, Transports, & Radical Concepts 1946-1962 [Hardcover]

Robert Bradley (Author)

Product details
Hardcover
Publisher: Specialty Pr Pub & Wholesalers (15 Oct 2011)
Language English
ISBN-10: 158007166X
ISBN-13: 978-1580071666

For anyone who hasn't purchased this book yet, it's available at Squadron on sale for $23.00

Does anyone know if this: Convair Advanced Designs: Secret Fighters, Transports, & Radical Concepts 1946-1962) will ever get published? Was announced in 2010, just before Specialty Press went away.

Got an answer from the publisher: Volume Two (Secret Fighters, Attack Aircraft, and Unique Concepts 1929-1973) arrived last week at Crecy and will be available around 15 December 2013.

Let us be curiously ;) !

I bought it 1 hour ago :)

Very nice book with many unpublished material. And there are very nice Convair colour photos, beautifully printed : XP-81, XF-92, Model 48 Charger and so on...

Still not available on Amazon...

The link provided a few posts above is no longer correct anyway.

This seems to be the correct one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Convair-Advanced-Designs-II-1929-1973/dp/085979170X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387551056&sr=1-2&keywords=Convair+Advanced+Designs

And there are very nice Convair colour photos, beautifully printed : XP-81, XF-92, Model 48 Charger and so on...

That's not really exciting :(. I hope to find a lot of unbuilt projects there....

pometablava said:
And there are very nice Convair colour photos, beautifully printed : XP-81, XF-92, Model 48 Charger and so on...

That's not really exciting :( . I hope to find a lot of unbuilt projects there....

Attached is the preliminary table of contents, as of January 2013, if that helps.

Attachments

• Convair Vol.2 TOC.pdf
    25.2 KB · Views: 81
Thanks a lot circle-5

That's a much exciting description to encourage orders. I can't wait for the moment to have the book in my hands. I guess the 1929-1945 chapters are going to be full of previously unknown data while the 1945-1973 will show a few pleasant surprises. I already have Tony Buttler US secretprojects fighters and US early jets.

I'll send a full description as soon as possible.

Antonio

pometablava said:
Thanks a lot circle-5
That's a much exciting description to encourage orders.

Ditto! Can't wait to order this to complement my first volume!