Concrete Tent This is Just Cool

bobbymike

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13430747

Now to design an inner balloon that blows up into a home shape and presto affordable concrete house probably hurricane resistant and flood resistant (notice they say it can be used under water)

The free market combined with man's ingenuity is a boon to all.

It's not so often that I see a new invention which I think will actually, truly, lastingly revolutionize our lives. This is undoubtedly one of them. These two guys are brilliant and I'm sure that in 20 years' time their invention will be used throughout the world in military operations, emergency first aid situations and so forth!

A good idea, without doubt ! Nevertheless, there are drawbacks against conventional tents, too:
Weight and volume of the folded tent, perhaps hard to bear especially during disaster relief, when
transport is scarce. And water will quite often be more useful just for drinking, instead of building
a shelter. And as I'm just struggling with a lot of estimates of costs for the renovation of our roof
and facade, I have a clear idea of the costs for the removal of the inevitable rubble, when those
"hard and heavy tents" won't be needed any more.
As said before, a good idea, but probably not always appropriate to replace those "cities made from
canvas" completely.

I recall somthing similar in an old Union Carbide commercial back in the sixties. A spray on foam hardening over an inflated form, and presto you had a structure. Forget the name, thought it a great idea then, but haven't seen it in practice.

Jemiba said:
Weight and volume of the folded tent, perhaps hard to bear especially during disaster relief, when
transport is scarce.

I'm under the impression that these are one-off structures, meant to be built and left behind/destroyed. How could you possibly transport them? Unless they come up with a way to dehydrate the stuff (impossible once it's become solid!) then there is no other way.

Jemiba said:
And water will quite often be more useful just for drinking, instead of building a shelter.

I think the report makes it clear that ANY liquid can be used. It doesn't need to be drinking water. Sea water, putrid water or even peeing on the thing (!!!) could do it I guess...

Jemiba said:
And as I'm just struggling with a lot of estimates of costs for the renovation of our roof and facade, I have a clear idea of the costs for the removal of the inevitable rubble, when those "hard and heavy tents" won't be needed any more.

Indeed. That's the only real disadvantage to me. Plus they have not communicated on the capacity to deteriorate with time, how long it takes (if at all) and whether the recycling of the stuff is possible or would result in hazardous rejections.

It's often called "concrete textile".

http://sfb532.rwth-aachen.de/index.php?page=Home_Region&class=Project&SID=13&action=view&lang=enUS

http://www.concretecanvas.co.uk/index.html

It has been around the intertubes for several years already.

Stargazer2006 said:
I'm under the impression that these are one-off structures, meant to be built and left behind/destroyed. How could you possibly transport them? Unless they come up with a way to dehydrate the stuff (impossible once it's become solid!) then there is no other way.

As I wrote, I'm not speaking of the erected, but of the folded tent. As it contains concrete, it probably is considerably
heavier, than canvas or fabric and has a larger volume for transport. It's descrided as a building material and the
example in the video rather looks like a new form of a Nissen hut, than a tent.
To my knowledge, for concrete you should always use fresh water, salt water, or other inpurities (and in this case salt
just is an inpurity) could interfere with the chemical process, that leads to the setting of the concrete.

Looks fantastic but I wonder how this compares with a Nissen hut in terms of weight and movability? That's one huge and heavy looking box which must need a forklift or JCB to move it, metal sheets can be moved by a few guys onto a flatbed truck from a ship or aircraft.

How well do these dry in a flood or Monsoon season? Would being constantly damp prevent them from setting rigid?
Do they crack in a really hot summer?

Above all, what's the cost compared with army tents or portakabins etc?