Commando Merlin and Crowsnest Merlin?

Nico

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
After several decades of more or less correct application, it seems that even the British Ministry of Defense is bored by its own designation system.
To quote some examples, I never hear about Globemaster C Mk.1 or C1, nor Lightning FG Mk.1 or FG1 and the Typhoon are very rarely called FGR Mk. 4 or FGR4.
I wanted to say, however, that in recent months the troop carrier conversion of the Merlin helicopter has flown, which I found quoted as Commando Merlin K.4 and on March 28 there was the first official Merlin HM2 flight in Crowsnest configuration. Do you have any indication of its designation?

Nico

The Commando Merlin is definitely HC.4, informally it has been referred to as Mk.4 (Mark 4) but the official designation is HC.4. The ex-Danish Merlins will be HC.4A.
I have not seen a designation for the Crowsnest conversion. I suspect there will not be a specific AEW role designation as all the active Merlin HM.2 fleet will receive the ability to receive the Crowsnest system on a Ro-Ro basis, so there will be no dedicated airframes as such. Although 744 NAS has been formed for the AEW role so that might change in practice, I can't imagine them swapping airframes every five minutes.

Globemaster was never assigned the designation C.Mk 1 because the aircraft were initially leased. That is the MoD line, but its interesting to note though that the UKMFTS types have been assigned designations and they are privately-owned rather than MoD property.

I have not yet seen a designation for the Lightning. The MoD has officially dropped the 'II' off the end but haven't yet assigned a role designation. I suppose they may once it achieves IOC?