Reaction score

Attachments

• Babb.png
    Babb.png
    937.2 KB · Views: 105
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Charles H. Babb Cargo Airplane

hesham said:
a well known person,the Charles H. Babb,which created many patents for cargo airplanes

"Many"? I can find only two patents assigned to him for aircraft or related!

https://www.google.com/patents/US2240747
https://www.google.com/patents/US2268009

Obviously this is not one of them.

This being said, thanks a LOT for finding more on the Howard transport (I was asking for info/pics about this one a few weeks ago).

This amazingly inspiring double-spread has made me want to work on a restored version. Hope you guys enjoy it (and if you don't, well, I sure enjoyed myself doing it, anyway!! :) )

I'm also attaching the part of the article related to Babb's design.

Attachments

• Flying Box Cars.jpg
    Flying Box Cars.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 83
  • Babb text.gif
    Babb text.gif
    78.9 KB · Views: 86
I still cringe at seeing the Babb freighter in this topic, especially since Babb had patents of his own (a similar, but twin-tailed, freighter, and a bomber).

Attachments

• US2240747.gif
    US2240747.gif
    55.6 KB · Views: 180
  • US2268009.gif
    US2268009.gif
    56.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 1948 letter header.jpg
    1948 letter header.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 175
There is Charles Babb Collection of photos in San-Diego Air Space Museum.
And one project definetly suited to this forum:

Babb Cargo 1937.jpg

The concept looks promising, IMHO.
Although "Back of photo says, "BABBCO Cargo Plane Design Submitted to Army for Consideration, March 1937. No Action taken."

More about Charles Babb here

In patent US273244A, filed by Charles H Babb and Josef SJ Hlobil on 1939-05-12, alternative and interchangable noses are shown for this transport:

This detachable nose portion hingedly mounted and readily removed for substitution and capable of being locked or unlocked both inside and outside, may be of varying types, among which may be mentioned units for boinbing, for gunnery, for a pilots compartment, for a photographer and for an observer for exploration. The detachable compartment G may be of varying types, one of which may be substituted for others, and suitably equipped with instruments and otherwise, so as to be adapted for commercial or military or other use.

While the model shows a retractable undercarriage (assuming that nose gear is also retractable), the patent shows a fixed gear. Perhaps both were envisioned?

The model also shows an increased Consolidated influence. That's down to Josef Hlobil, of whom, more in the next post ...

Edit: Sorry, just realized that Stargazer had already posted those patent images :oops:

Last edited:
Charlie Babb was a used aircraft and parts dealer. He seems to have been a wheeler-dealer with personal connections throughout the California aviation community (Donald Douglas, Howard Hughes, etc). I suspect that this aircraft model actually represents a design by aeronautical engineer, 'Bill' Hlobil. The available patents for Charlie Babb were filed with Josef SJ Hlobil (although his name is mis-spelled on US2268009). So, who was JSJ Hlobil of Beverly Hills, CA?

Hlobil was a Czech engineer trained at the Imperial Czech Technical University of Franz Joseph in Brno (with post-grad work in aeronautics at Vienna and Paris). He flew with the K.u.K. Luftfahrtruppen during WWI before coming to the US. In 1923, Hlobil worked for Curtiss before moving to Consolidated in March 1926. In February 1937, the Consolidated Aircraft Corporation's Consolidator newsletter, mentioned the imminent departure of 'Bill' Hlobil.

On 25 August 1937, the LA Times reported on the formation of the Lobil Aircraft Corporation with Josef SJ Hlobil as president. [1] "Hlobil, an aircraft engineer formerly with Consolidated Aircraft Corporation in San Diego, said his company will specialize in military planes." Directors were Charles T. Leigh (VP, Consolidated) EJ Rivers (NAA Corp.), Gregory M. Creutz (attorney, import/export), and E. J. Dickinson.

Construction of experimental aircraft was expected within weeks, "with production scheduled to start in six months." Obviously that was overly optimistic. However, there is mention of a 'Lobil Monoplane' fighter - which makes sense, Hlobil having been a fighter pilot in WWI. Note of the new firm was made in the US Army Air Corps' Technical Data Digest (Volume 3, No. 22, 15 November 1937) but I can find little other record of Lobil Aircraft Corporation.

Maybe Hlobil was taking advantage of Babb's extensive personal connections in the southern California aircraft industry. Maybe Hlobil was hired by BabbCo to develop original designs. Who knows?

[1] Hlobil had obviously grown tired of spelling out his Czech surname for English-speakers.

Thanks folks! If it wasn't already obvious, I'd love to hear more about that 'Lobil Monoplane' or the Lobil Aircraft Corporation generally.

That bit from Babb family website article,
During the 1930s, Charles Harding Babb was a well-known used aircraft salesman in business at Grand Central Airport, Glendale, CA. Charles became a significant member of the international flying network of the era. He did business as Babb International Aircraft Brokerage in Glendale and later as Charles H. Babb Co. with offices on the east coast, Quebec, Europe & Latin America.
Hesham, I don't know where you reside on this little ball of rock and water, even though your avatar flag suggests a location, but I'm betting it isn't Southern California, and don't know whether or not you would have caught the idea from all the aviation references you've seen, so I'm going to say it anyway just to be sure,
Glendale, California, was an aviation activity hotspot for many decades.
I haven't looked to see if it still is.

Some references, with varying levels of reference to Glendale:

"The facilities at Glendale proved too small for production and the company moved to an abandoned plant in Downey, California in June 1936."

From unspecified Spanish-language aviation magazine:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    609 KB · Views: 15