Changing Planes

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Back in 1990 the then Foreign Secretary was delivered to East Berlin by an RAF VC 10. It was interesting to compare the discreet colours and shape of the VC10 with the bright red and white Interflug (East German Lufthansa) Il 62s.
I was reminded of that moment by an image posted on a model aircraft site of the new "official" British Government machine.
Images of both are attached.
The VC10 had carried Her Majesty and her Ministers from my schooldays to the arrival of Mr Blair. Whereas other countries had lavishly painted jets with the names of their countires in bold letters, the British machine noted its service to the Monarch and its Union Flag was restrained.
Is it just me, or now that we are up +&+!! creek without a paddle we have chosen this moment to advertise our homeland.

Attachments

• XV102_SquadronPrints.jpg
    XV102_SquadronPrints.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 45
  • ifkc2voyageruk-500x500__57514.1593170212.jpg
    ifkc2voyageruk-500x500__57514.1593170212.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 63
Or maybe HM and her government are simply more craving TV attention...

I think it is a sign of the times we are living in, an attempt to boost national pride and image during the current trials, also account for personalities in power.

Funny how the vast majority of corporate jet paint-schemes have been going in the opposite direction: boring. Most are just plain, boring white with little more than registration to distinguish them from their hangar-mates. Many biz-jets are leased or owned through multiple holding companies to conceal their true owners.
Three issues drive these boring paint schemes: first, many corporations try to maintain low profiles to avoid stock-holders complaining about executive privileges.
Secondly, they avoid corporate espionage by concealing movements of senior executives. Some corporations can even conceal their registration from ATC radar.
Thirdly, some executives fear assassination, so prefer to travel with the minimum of pomp and circumstance. Fear of assassination probably also motivates national leaders to travel quietly.
Finally, only the wealthiest nations can afford dedicated airplanes for national leaders. For example, the Royal Canadian Air Force only operates handfuls of Airbus and Challenger jet transports. During any given week, those Airbuses might haul cargo, carry diplomatic passengers, transfer troops, refuel CF-18 fighters, etc. Those Challengers have also transported wounded soldiers home from Afghanistan.

Then you have this. I've seen three with this livery at one time at KCPS a few times now.

Attachments

• race team 1.jpg
    race team 1.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 38
  • race team 2.jpg
    race team 2.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 30
Interesting story.about new German government aircraft
The.German Air Force like the RAF uses grey for its remaining Airbuses
The German contemporary of the VC10 was the.Boeing 707
With their usual tact and well informed journalism British tabloid newspapers took advantage of the word "Luftwaffe" to snigger about its connotations for generations of Brits brought up on the Battle of Britain.
As the word just means "Air Arm" Germany after unification adopted the full name of "Federal Republic of Germany" (like "United States of America" on US machines).
Soviet era leaders used standard Aeroflot machines (spectacularly so with the Tu 114) but Yeltsin, Putin and Medvedev have used a special jet with "Russia" on it.
Using my schoolboy French, this article is worth reading

If, like me, you find this subject fun here is the full list of Government machines
Finally, as some of you will be groaning that these are all "real" planes attached are two "might of beens"

Attachments

• s-l400 (6).jpg
    s-l400 (6).jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 31
  • s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Actually, Air France Concorde was used as executive gov transport during Mitterand time. Air France being a state owned company , one Concorde in the fleet had to be ready any time Mitterand had to travel .
Not sure Chirac kept the thing going on.

Edit: that is mentioned in your link in French. Two Concordes in fact could be reserved for gov transport.

That was a big change from the previous poor old Caravelle. Remember reading they almost lost one (with ministers inside) due to pressurization problems over sahara desert, and they had to make an emergency landing.

Last edited: