• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Cessna 408 SkyCourier

fredymac

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
The question boils down to whether you can make a business case for this capability (19 pass/3 LD3-6000lb cargo) for $5.5M. For an island transport, you could charge $50/flight for 300 passengers/day and recover the planes cost in 1 year (minus pilot salary). I assume the maintenance costs for a plane like this will be fairly low. Just a reminder from post 64.

TomS

Reaction score
That's almost 20 departures a day at 80% load factors (15-16 pax average), which seems a tad optimistic. It also ignores all the other costs around a flight (airport fees, flight attendant, ticketing/ground staff, baggage handling, etc.)

fredymac

Reaction score
That's to recover the airplane cost in 1 year. In practice, I assume the amount is pegged to "positive cash flow" which is probably too messy to figure since it includes taxes, government subsidies (eg, low serviced populations), and the like.

TomS

Reaction score
That's to recover the airplane cost in 1 year. In practice, I assume the amount is pegged to "positive cash flow" which is probably too messy to figure since it includes taxes, government subsidies (eg, low serviced populations), and the like.

fredymac, sorry, I should have thanked you for this earlier. I misunderstood what you were trying to say. Indeed, this does look like it might be economical for those sorts of flights.

Last edited:

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Like TomS, I really like this aircraft for its clear utilitarian functionality. I had not realized that the program had moved with such alacrity. Impressive numbers for a new start in an environment so full of means to slow progress (Pandemic, economic down-turn).
Textron must have had a quiet purge at senior levels as the Textron aerospace sector has really turned up the wick in the last couple of years, both Cessna and Bell.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
3rd prototype (P2) first flight:
WICHITA, Kan. (Sept. 29, 2020) – The Cessna SkyCourier turboprop development program has achieved another significant milestone as the third and final flight test aircraft (P2) successfully completed its first flight on Monday, Sept. 28, 2020. This maiden flight for the high-wing, large utility aircraft comes on the heels of the second test article (P1) completing its initial flight in August 2020. The P2 aircraft is the second airframe configured in the passenger variant, and it will join two other aircraft in the flight test certification program, which to date have already accumulated 150 flight hours.
[...]
The first flight of P2, piloted by Todd Dafton and Caleb Quick, lasted 90 minutes, reaching a speed of 210 ktas and an altitude of 15,000 feet. The aircraft will primarily be used to focus on avionics testing, flammable fluids testing, and the cold and hot weather testing in the climatic chamber at Eglin Air Force Base.
https://txtav.com/en/newsroom/2020/...urier-test-aircraft-joins-flight-test-program

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Notice how he noticed that the chord was too short for him to catch it and demo how easily it is to close the cargo door ;)

Screenshot_20210606_165732.jpg

(The chord is the little white thread that you see on top of the picture)

TomS

Reaction score
Notice how he noticed that the chord was too short for him to catch it and demo how easily it is to close the cargo door ;)

View attachment 658528

(The chord is the little white thread that you see on top of the picture)

Yeah, I noticed that too. Slightly embarrassing and something I'd have fixed rather than publishing as is. Only feel like that cord needs a knob or handle to grab as well.

Silencer1

That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!
Reaction score

Yeah, I noticed that too. Slightly embarrassing and something I'd have fixed rather than publishing as is. Only feel like that cord needs a knob or handle to grab as well.Interesting video!
Interesting video, thanks for sharing! I wonder, however, why it placed on Youtube page of certain "TAM Aviação Executiva", rather then Cessna or Textron?
Note about chord is important, as the Cessna' representative later talks, how sophisticated is new design of forward door, which could fix it in open position and resists to strong winds.
Just imagine, how these winds could "wave" the chord of main door, completely preventing catching it from the ground level.
Or if the loaded container captivate it on it's roof.
P.S. perhaps "Nike" pays a big money for the product placement of their polo in this movie :cool:

Last edited: