Carriers in today's Russian Navy and their role

Jackryan

Ability is nothing without opportunity. - N
Reaction score
Russian Navy former CinC Adm. Masorin stated back in 2007 that there were plans to build a new class of medium nuclear-powered carrier displacing around 50k tons and supporting an air wing of roughly 50 aircraft. Such ideas have been recurring in these last years. It is no secret, though, that with world economic crisis striking with force Russian economy, there are other priorities such as submarine classes (Lada, Borei, Graney...), frigates and corvettes (Stereguschy, Grigoriovich, Groshkov...) and even possible foreign purchase of landing vessels (you surely remember the Mistral procurement case). So we all know carriers are no priority beyond refurbishing Kuznetsov.

Yet, any news of such a project going on? Anyway, what's yur impression of the surface vessels' role in today's Russian Navy? Still the same as in the Cold War, or are there any changes?

BTW, you can see I'm new in here. This is only my second topic introduced, so, any pice of advice? Thank you a lot!

If you're interested in this subject, you also might be interested in China's first aircraft carrier, which is a modified Russian vessel:

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2011/06/27/chinas-carrier-a-highly-vulnerable-extravagance/

Thanks for your interest! I know the Shi Lang project and I try to keep up to date with its latest developments! I really enjoyed this site when I first found it and I try to visit it regularly as it is frequently updated with yearly reviews and interesting news: http://www.freewebs.com/jeffhead/redseadragon/varyagtransform.htm My most sincere congrats to its creator. I reccomend the annual reviews.

BTW, hasn't china got the Type 052C AAW destroyers? And new nuclear attack submarines? I agree there is an urgent need for sea-air coordination in the shape of a carrier-borne AWACS system (what if- Yak-44 or An-71, maybe with Israeli radars, and the Antonov being Ukranian is not subject to Russian reluctancy to sell AEW and AWACS systems to china).

If you mean "what specific upgrades will Kuznetsov receive" I don't think I've ever seen a list of those.
Anyway, that text does make it seem likely Kuznetsov won't get back into service before 2023.

And that is probably assuming that they can salvage or get a replacement for a certain floating dock. Unless they totally gundeck the repairs & upgrades of course...

My point is, will it be a truly comprehensive update including modern systems and weapons then I'm more than skeptical ... if it will be only "a contract on painting the carrier’s outer surface before September 1, 2022" as the headline makes one think (if one does not read the rest of the text ;) ) it could be doable, but how much this makes sense is another question.

And that is probably assuming that they can salvage or get a replacement for a certain floating dock. Unless they totally gundeck the repairs & upgrades of course...
That floating dock is not mandatory for servicing Kuz.