Can SM-3 missile be converted into anti-ship missile?

Lc89

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Could the Sm 3 missile be converted into a anti-ship missile? The speed of the latest version is mach 13.2.

The upper stage has no warhead and can't maneuver in the atmosphere, so no. The booster could be adapted to a hypersonic vehicle, potentially. The next version of SM-6, which also uses a 21" motor like SM-3, will undoubtedly have a surface-to-surface mode.

The upper stage has no warhead and can't maneuver in the atmosphere, so no. The booster could be adapted to a hypersonic vehicle, potentially. The next version of SM-6, which also uses a 21" motor like SM-3, will undoubtedly have a surface-to-surface mode.

Moose, I know you know this but just to clarify, SM-6 already uses a 21-inch first stage booster, just like SM-3 Block I. The change you're referring to is the switch to a "full caliber" 21-inch missile body. That's for SM-3 Block IIA and the future SM-6 Block IB.

Moose, I know you know this but just to clarify, SM-6 already uses a 21-inch first stage booster, just like SM-3 Block I. The change you're referring to is the switch to a "full caliber" 21-inch missile body. That's for SM-3 Block IIA and the future SM-6 Block IB.
That's basically what he said.

I have no problem with the clarification, I should have been more clear that my
21" motor
wasn't referring to the booster anymore.