• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Can SM-3 missile be converted into anti-ship missile?

Lc89

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Could the Sm 3 missile be converted into a anti-ship missile? The speed of the latest version is mach 13.2.

Moose

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
The upper stage has no warhead and can't maneuver in the atmosphere, so no. The booster could be adapted to a hypersonic vehicle, potentially. The next version of SM-6, which also uses a 21" motor like SM-3, will undoubtedly have a surface-to-surface mode.

TomS

Reaction score
The upper stage has no warhead and can't maneuver in the atmosphere, so no. The booster could be adapted to a hypersonic vehicle, potentially. The next version of SM-6, which also uses a 21" motor like SM-3, will undoubtedly have a surface-to-surface mode.
Moose, I know you know this but just to clarify, SM-6 already uses a 21-inch first stage booster, just like SM-3 Block I. The change you're referring to is the switch to a "full caliber" 21-inch missile body. That's for SM-3 Block IIA and the future SM-6 Block IB.

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Moose, I know you know this but just to clarify, SM-6 already uses a 21-inch first stage booster, just like SM-3 Block I. The change you're referring to is the switch to a "full caliber" 21-inch missile body. That's for SM-3 Block IIA and the future SM-6 Block IB.
That's basically what he said.

Moose

Reaction score
I have no problem with the clarification, I should have been more clear that my
21" motor
wasn't referring to the booster anymore.