C-146 Wolfhound

tigercat2

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I just saw an article about the C-146 Wolfhound, used by the USAF. Is this the highest "C" number in use? Seems like for cargo aircraft they go back and forth from the old (pre-1962 sequence) to the new one. Shouldn't a new cargo aircraft be called the C-48? (probably would skip the C-47, since many are still in use worldwide).

Wes W.

tigercat2 said:
I just saw an article about the C-146 Wolfhound, used by the USAF. Is this the highest "C" number in use? Seems like for cargo aircraft they go back and forth from the old (pre-1962 sequence) to the new one. Shouldn't a new cargo aircraft be called the C-48? (probably would skip the C-47, since many are still in use worldwide).

The C-146 was already discussed in this post and the following ones:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7683.msg231056.html#msg231056

Thanks very much for pointing me to that threat - quite interesting.

BTW, the statement is made towards the end of the thread that only 2 series from 1945 on had the "13" number; H-13 and X-13. I believe that there was one more, an F-13 (Boeing B-29 used for photo recon). This was redesignated RB-29 in 1948, IIRC.

Wes W.

tigercat2 said:
BTW, the statement is made towards the end of the thread that only 2 series from 1945 on had the "13" number; H-13 and X-13. I believe that there was one more, an F-13 (Boeing B-29 used for photo recon). This was redesignated RB-29 in 1948, IIRC.

Almost correct, but not quite (and neither was that other member). Actually if you go as far back as 1945 there was also the Waco CG-13 glider, Vultee BT-13 and Boeing PT-13 trainers which were still pretty much in use at the time. Also the Convair L-13 and Bell R-13 were allocated at the time. I believe that the poster probably thought in more general terms of the post-war designation system, which actually took effect in 1948 as you correctly stated. In this case, four "13" numbers made it to the revised system: the Bell H-13 (redesignated from R-13), the Ryan X-13, the Waco G-13 (redesignated from CG-13) and the Convair L-13 (as the L- series wasn't changed to U- until the tri-service system of 1962).

Thanks so much!! The knowledge that you folks have is truly stunning (and always accurate!!!)

Wes W

Triskaidekaphobia entered the aircraft designation system in the late 1960s with the omission of F-13 (would have gone to the Grumman Tomcat). It's now an officially established policy to skip -13 in MDS designations.