BV 141 Lateral Artificial Stability

Clipper996

Indeed
Reaction score
While reading the Gotha P.60 book by Myhra, I stumbled upon a quote from the interview with the chief engineer behind the P.60 where he talks about the potentially bad lateral stability which could occur on the aircraft and how it could be fixed by creating artificial stability using a mechanical device which was apparently already used on BV 141 in the form of two yaw vanes located in front of each aileron and directly connected to them, which would move the aileron in the desired direction once the vanes sense yawing resulting in more stability.

I couldn't find many pictures but I believe that this is the device he was talking about:

FoWwagt.jpg

Does anyone have more information about this device and the mechanics behind it?

kiradog

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Here is better picture.

Attachments

• bv141device.jpg
    bv141device.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 198

hole in the ground

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Would a search of BV patents reveal anything?

Not only used on the BV 141, here is the BV 138

0054-01-1-1.jpg

Captura%2Bde%2Bpantalla%2BBV-138.png

BV-138cutaway.jpg.99b3dfb9c7f4a677d20c9e65036d53d2.jpg

Called "paddle balances" in the above cutaway

hole in the ground

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Bingo!

From "German Aircraft Industry" a report by British Intelligence Objectives Sub-Committee. http://www.cdvandt.org/BIOS-254.pdf

Page 13, discussing the split ailerons on the BV 222:

The tip portion has a similar nose balance to the inner portion, roughly 30-33%. Adjustment is achieved by means of a "paddle" balance. This is also seen at Travemunde.

It comprises two small paddles or flags pointing forwards and geared to the aileron so that they spread sideways when the aileron is deflected.

And

The use of two paddles moving in opposite directions was adopted so as to overcome the effects of sideslip. By judicious variation in the relative sizes and lever arms of the two paddles it is possible to arrange the requisite degree of aileron application with sideslip. This gives a similar effect to dihedral on the wings