Brown Anti-Torque Prop Drive Airplane of 1935

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

Mr. Charley L. Brown designed a weird airplane in 1935,it had anti-torque prop
drive,page 355.

1935 = 1pOlwM; 80hp Genet (modified as a rotary); span: 18'2" length: 18'0" v: 140/120/40. Brown's improved duplex-prop version seems to have fared better, since it flew and reportedly climbed at a 30° angle without stalling off on a wing. Deep-chord wings helped in this respect, but credit must be given to the cowled counter-rotating props, and the motor, which was highly modified with a scavenging oil system.

https://books.google.com.eg/books?id=iRqI-1xucWgC&printsec=frontcover&hl=ar&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://www.aerofiles.com/_bo.html

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    404.8 KB · Views: 279
  • 2.png
    2.png
    439.6 KB · Views: 274
That is rather clever actually: My interpretation is that it is a rotary engine design but with a fixed prop fitted to the engine?

Gentlemen,

This engine/propeller configuration is amazing. It provides the
ability to turn larger low RPM propellers, as well as the benefits of cancelling slipstream rotation. The downside, windage losses of the rotating engine, should be considerably less than the increase in propulsive efficiency.

I'm surprised that , to the best of my knowledge, no coverage appeared in the usual magazines like Popular Science Monthly, Popular Mechanics Magazine or Modern Mechanics, and the concept and the attractive airplane disappeared without a ripple.

Some members may recall 1/2A powered model helicopters of about 40 years ago which had the engine mounted vertically at the center of a large rotor. The engine spun a small propeller and the rotor was driven in the opposite direction by torque reaction. The difference in power absorption of the small prop and the much larger rotor resulted in perhaps a 10 to one difference in RPM.

Incidentally, was the engine in the Brown ship a Fairchild Caminez converted to rotary operation. Would love to see more on this remarkable airplane.

Dynasoar

You are welcome Dynasoar,and thanks for Info.

Hi Hesham,

Bolshoe spasibo for bringing this airplane to our attention. Did you discover it in the Popular Aviation magazine, or is there other information out there?

Clearly I miscounted the engine cylinders in the brief video -four instead of the actual five. The reverse (relative to American convention) crankshaft rotation should have been evidence of a British engine. I wonder how Brown got oil return from all the rocker boxes?

I would really appreciate learning more about this ship.

Dynasoar

Hi Dynasoar,

frankly I saw anther article about it in the same magazine,but anther issue,I i can't remember it
now,but in Aerofiles site a small Info;

1935 = 1pOlwM; 80hp Genet (modified as a rotary); span: 18'2" length: 18'0" v: 140/120/40. Brown's improved duplex-prop version seems to have fared better, since it flew and reportedly climbed at a 30° angle without stalling off on a wing. Deep-chord wings helped in this respect, but credit must be given to the cowled counter-rotating props, and the motor, which was highly modified with a scavenging oil system.

http://www.aerofiles.com/_bo.html

Back
Top Bottom