Brewster two-seat fighter

Jjr

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Hai

Joe Baugher writes on his site, joebaugher.com, about the Brewster XF2A-1,
" The Model B-139 stemmed from an earlier design study for a two-seat fighter based on the XSBA."

Who knows more about this project?

Jjr

I dont know, what do you know/have about these two types?
Jjr

hesham is speculating about Brewster's (currently unknown) P-1 and P-2 projects which predate the known P-3 aka Brewster B-139 or XF2A-1.

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7780.msg67930.html

After designing the Brewster B-138 aka XSBA-1, Dayton Brown sketched out a 2-seat fighter version followed by a refined single-seater fitted with "a semi-bubble canopy". That second concept formed the basis for the B-139.

For sofar I found was the Xsba-1 there first design and the b-139 was based on the xsba-1.
The b-139 was the p-3.
If the information about the two-seat fighter is correct than I have the following conclusion.
P-1. xsba-1
P-2. Two-seat fighter
P-3. B-139 or xf2a

Thank you my dear Apophenia,

and for dear Jjr,I think you are right,but need confirm ?.

I was written that Joe Baugher mentioned that: B-139 stemmed from an earlier design study for a two-seat fighter based on the XSBA.
I found in "The last Great Buffalo hunt, by G.J. Villard, on page 31 a reprint of a 1939 Brewster Company Brochure, which mentioned: , this Brewster Scout Bomber can also be equipped for export sale as a two-seat Fighter or Attack Plane with variations armament and equipment.
There is shown a picture of the XSBA-1.
This proved that the two-seat fighter was NOT a new study, but an excistent type wich could be equiped for a special version.

There seems to be a mixing of Navy designations and 'x39' numbers. There were Brewster design numbers (the F2A-1 was 5, for example). If ordered by the Navy, there was the normal BuAer designation - F2A-2, for example. The 'x39' numbers were for export projects ONLY. The last two numbers are for the year the item became available for export (i.e. 1939) and the first number is sequential for export projects for that year. Thus, the export version of the F2A-1 was labeled 239. There was a.proposed 139, but it was a variant of the Brewster SBA two seat dive bomber. The next offering, an export version of the F2A-2, was the 339. Subvariants were given a suffix letter - A, B, C, etc.