The most important current & future IFV & Tank consideration.

1712272924495.png

The most important current & future IFV & Tank consideration.

View attachment 724620

Absolute blast from the past:

First they bring back pinks and greens, now this. I love the whole retro branding thing the Army has going on.

"The AMPV program calls for vetronics and software that adhere to the U.S. military's Vehicle Integration for C4ISR/EW Interoperability (VICTORY) open-systems standards, which use an adopt-adapt-author approach independent of specific hardware or software"

Leads to the question how much a threat could the AMPV possibly pose as an alternative to the XM30 MICV program if costs not controlled, BAE showed a AMPV configured with the External Mission Equipment Package (ExMEP) at the 2024 AUSA Global Force Symposium with its unmanned 30mm turret

Attachments

• AMPV_ExMEP_30mm.png
    AMPV_ExMEP_30mm.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
Exit omfv.
What an ugly turret. And that is the one they selected for the Stryker Dragoon to replace the Kongsberg one used on early production vehicles? The higher profile makes it seem like a step backwards.

I'm not sure if they are trying to sell this as an alternative to the XM30 or just as a way of up-gunning AMPVs that would otherwise just have a .50 caliber MG but I think it would be a poor choice for the former. The M2 Bradley already has a high profile and putting a turret on the AMPV results in an even taller vehicle than that.

What an ugly turret. And that is the one they selected for the Stryker Dragoon to replace the Kongsberg one used on early production vehicles? The higher profile makes it seem like a step backwards.

I'm not sure if they are trying to sell this as an alternative to the XM30 or just as a way of up-gunning AMPVs that would otherwise just have a .50 caliber MG but I think it would be a poor choice for the former. The M2 Bradley already has a high profile and putting a turret on the AMPV results in an even taller vehicle than that.
"Wait a minute you're telling me lock down shoot down is only an air force concept???"

The Dragoon still has the Kongsberg turret, the new MCWS Stykers will have the new turret but it won't be backfit to the Dragoon. The Elbit turret seems to have won due to having greater growth potential, having room to add an APS, though there's not been a detailed breakdown of the decision released publicly.

And yes, it's ugly as all get out

• Piranha V
    In November 2007, the Piranha V was selected as the preferred bidder, but budget constraints prevented orders from being placed. By December 2008, the Piranha V was no longer the preferred bidder due to the lack of a contract.

• Piranha Heavy Mission Carrier (HMC)
    In April 2024, General Dynamics unveiled the Piranha HMC, a 10-wheel armored vehicle designed for cross-country mobility and trench-crossing. The HMC has a multi-link suspension system, all-wheel-power drivetrain, and a payload capacity of up to 17 tons. It has a total weight of up to 40 tons and a turning cycle of less than 18 meters (60 feet).

why not discussed as the wheeled carrier partner to Bradley replacement, the StrykerQB is only suitable for unmanned c2

According to Google AI

• Piranha V
    In November 2007, the Piranha V was selected as the preferred bidder, but budget constraints prevented orders from being placed. By December 2008, the Piranha V was no longer the preferred bidder due to the lack of a contract.

• Piranha Heavy Mission Carrier (HMC)
    In April 2024, General Dynamics unveiled the Piranha HMC, a 10-wheel armored vehicle designed for cross-country mobility and trench-crossing. The HMC has a multi-link suspension system, all-wheel-power drivetrain, and a payload capacity of up to 17 tons. It has a total weight of up to 40 tons and a turning cycle of less than 18 meters (60 feet).

why not discussed as the wheeled carrier partner to Bradley replacement, the StrykerQB is only suitable for unmanned c2

According to Google AI
1725271197344.png 1725271015962.png 1725270991423.png 1725270888670.png 1725270835025.png

Difficult, really difficult, I think !
In a perfect world, you would ask the AI „Tell me something about the Piranha MICV“, maybe you could additionally say „But don‘t use information from sources X, Y and Z !“ and you would get a decent report, perhaps even with at least some sources given. And all this without having to search by yourself !
Not giving the sources of an information degrades the trustability of a statement, and if it comes from an AI, the loss of trust perhaps even is bigger, than when it‘s just mentioned as „I read somewhere on the net….“ , or without a mentioned source, but without the AI mentioned either.
And to be honest, I won‘t be surprised, if even principally reliable websites, mags, or other sources, are using AI in the meantime, of course, always after cross-checking the results !
And to be honest again, I probably won‘t notice, if an information comes completely from an AI, maybe just with an asserted source … or maybe, it‘s really from that source, but that source used AI ….
I have no other idea in the moment, than to treat information from AI the same way, as from other sources : Cross check, maybe cross check again, and try to find at least some „real“ sources, as that probably could prevent at least falling victim to a hallucinating AI … though not falling victim to a source, that itself had fallen for such an incident.
No other idea, sorry !

I honestly hope nobody follows this example.

regardless the Pir V is far larger thus a more capable platform for the mods planned for the Styrker..was once in a LAV and was stunned how small it was. If there is to be a ever expanding APSs & armor so therefore powerful powerplants are not an issue. Any sort of mission has logistics and even evacuation demands, the larger the better.. seems to be a wrapped around the axle in this discussion. Surly, someone in the Army requirements world has brought this up.

Assuming it’s the Google AI Overview it does link the sources it’s drawn from, though obviously you have to give them in your post if you’ve used it (and, imo, it should only really be used like Wikipedia, a place where you can find sources from to do your own work).