• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Australian Army Land 400 Ph3 Competition.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
This is the Australian Army approximately $10-15 billion project to replace the ageing M113 APCs, with an Infantry Fighting Vehicle (IFV) and APC. Up until yesterday, there were 4 contenders:

1. Rheinmetall's Lynx KF41
  2. BAE Systems CV90 MkIV IFV
  3. Hanwha Defense Systems AS21 Redback
  4. General Dynamics Land Systems AJAX
As of yesterday there are now two after the Australian downselect to the Lynx KF41 and AS21.

Timetable moving forward is here: http://www.defence.gov.au/casg/Multimedia/LAND_400_Indicative_Timeline-9-9182.pdf

Kadija_Man

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Interesting choices. I would put my money on the Lynx over the Red Back.

GTX

Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
I would go the opposite way, primarily for AIC reasons.

Kadija_Man

Reaction score
Army likes German products though. It has no experience of Korean AFVs whereas it has experience of German ones.

GTX

Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
It won't be decided on the basis of that. Moreover, if it was that simple, how would you explain apparent preference for Hanwha K9/K10 over Panzerhaubitze 2000 firstly for Land 17 and more recently for Land 8116?

Kadija_Man

Reaction score
Price. The Panzerhaubitz 2000 is simply too expensive for our needs. Artillery has often had to make do with old or cheap equipment. Look at the introduction of the M101 Howitzer to replace the new L5 which proved simply too fragile for continuous use in a real war (ie Vietnam). The M101 was a WWII design. A Korean MICV? A complete unknown compared to the German one. Preferences won't be the whole story but they provide a clue to the likely outcome.

GTX

Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
Willing to make a bet? I believe the Hanwha AS21 will win on AIC, price and even technical capability plus a range of other factors...

Kadija_Man

Reaction score
Willing to make a bet? I believe the Hanwha AS21 will win on AIC, price and even technical capability plus a range of other factors...
*SIGH* I wish. I am stony broke at the moment, mate. :(