• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Boyle "guided missile" submarine

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
In 1950 Francis D Boyle, a World War II submarine commander, proposed a "guided missile" submarine based on the wartime fleet boat. Boyle's proposal provided a "rocket room" and single launch tube aft of the forward torpedo room with living and battery spaces forward of the control spaces. Innovative features of the craft included a vertical launcher and a pump-jet, or ducted, propulsion device in place of propellers. But neither the missile nor interest in a ballistic missile system existed in the US Navy at the time.

Artist's impression of the Boyle "guided missile" submarine.

Source:Cold War Submarines: The Design and Construction of U.S. and Soviet Submarines by Norman Polmar and Kenneth J Moore, Brassy's, Inc., 2004

Attachments

• BoyleGuidedMissilesub.JPG
    BoyleGuidedMissilesub.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 175

XP67_Moonbat

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Was any particular kind of missile was suggested for this design? Polaris was still years away and I'm thinking a V-2 derivative but that's really kind of big for a WW2-era sub. Maybe a scaled-down version perhaps? I dunno.

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
XP67_Moonbat said:
Was any particular kind of missile was suggested for this design? Polaris was still years away and I'm thinking a V-2 derivative but that's really kind of big for a WW2-era sub. Maybe a scaled-down version perhaps? I dunno.

I included all the information that Polmar and Moore provided about Boyle's "guided missile" submarine. I presume that the submarine launched guided missile was theoretical in Boyle's proposal.